PDA

View Full Version : 1366 mobo questions

Imbroglio
03-08-10, 05:48 PM
while putting together a new build, I was excited to go for the asus p6x68d premium board since it has usb3.0 ports as well as True sata 6+gb/s ports, but i'm still having doubts.

people i've spoken to and things i've read about the evga e758 a1 have been nothing but positive, but i have a few concerns i was hoping some people here could clear up for me.

1) is the pci-e 1x slot usable? it appears to be directly underneath the 2nd slot of the pcie 16x slot. i'd like to eventually get a xonar or auzentech sound card, so i'd prefer to have the slot available for use.

2) wtf is the evga lan controller? even the evga spec sheet (http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=132-bl-e758-a1) just says 'dual 10/100/1000 mbps'. the reason i ask is the asus has a marvell controller and they are terrible. my laptop's intel 82566mm network adapter blows asus' marvel controller out of the water. almost to the point where i'd consider purchasing a drop in nic. please tell me evga doesn't use one of these cheap pos controllers as well.

thanks for the help.

Aphot
03-08-10, 05:53 PM
With crossfire, my two 5870s touch, its pretty cramped, but the bottom pcie and the top pcie X1 are accessible.

With that evga board, I don't think you could use the X1 slot with a dual slot gfx card. But a X1 card will work in a X16 slot.

Dr.Nick
03-09-10, 02:05 PM
Looks like the Asus layout is better if you want to use the 1x slot. You could drop the sound card in the 3rd 8x slot but that might drop the 2nd pcie to 8x.
The evga uses a realtek nic which would put it a notch below the marvel on the asus in my opinion. Intel is rarely used (why use the best?) so if you are worried about it drop $30 on an intel nic card.
If you have the asus already stick with it, it looks like a very nice board.

Imbroglio
03-09-10, 06:11 PM
thanks for the responses.

I am/was worried that dropping a 1x card in the 3rd pci-e will drop the 2nd to 8x. I'll have to look into that. Seriously, a realtek nic too? Why do these companies put $3 parts in a $300 motherboard.. seems retarded. Although I understand why EVGA won't even spec out the onboard nic, hehe.

I'll def will be adding a intel nic to my build list then. Looks like I have a little more research to do, but thanks for the info.

mullet
03-09-10, 08:46 PM
Asus P6X58D Premium, will be my next motherboard. That board is incredible.

ViN86
03-09-10, 10:53 PM
thanks for the responses.

I am/was worried that dropping a 1x card in the 3rd pci-e will drop the 2nd to 8x. I'll have to look into that. Seriously, a realtek nic too? Why do these companies put $3 parts in a $300 motherboard.. seems retarded. Although I understand why EVGA won't even spec out the onboard nic, hehe.

I'll def will be adding a intel nic to my build list then. Looks like I have a little more research to do, but thanks for the info.

Typically you set the lanes of the PCIe slots in the BIOS. My board has dual realktek NIC's and three PCIe x16 (physical) slots. I can choose either x16 x1 x1 with the 2nd NIC enabled, or x16 x4 x1 with one NIC enabled.