PDA

View Full Version : Open style headphones

crainger
03-09-10, 03:24 AM
Oh hi.

I've been gaming more and more with headphones these days, I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD215s I got pretty cheap, they have great bass and are a closed sort. I find in the aussie weather I get hot ears quickly. Those here with the higher end open headphones. Do your ears get hot? Are they cooler? How much sound leaks to bother others?

swift replies.

Toss3
03-09-10, 04:39 AM
Oh hi.

I've been gaming more and more with headphones these days, I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD215s I got pretty cheap, they have great bass and are a closed sort. I find in the aussie weather I get hot ears quickly. Those here with the higher end open headphones. Do your ears get hot? Are they cooler? How much sound leaks to bother others?

swift replies.

Have a pair of Senn 595s and my ears don't get nearly as hot after playing for hours compared to my Sony xb700s. Sound leakage isn't a big problem for me as I live alone, but I really don't think it should be much of an issue especially if you keep the volume set to a reasonable level. :)
Thinking of getting a pair of HD600 soon to replace both of them. :bleh:

crainger
03-09-10, 05:46 AM
The HD600s are tempting, about as much as I was ready to pay... Then again the 595s should e much cheaper than they were a few years back. I might go checkout the Hi-Fi store tomorrow. They have a nice lounge to test all the high end cans in.

I prob should pickup a headphone amp too. I doubt my X-Fi could provide enough power to really drive the high end headphones.

Toss3
03-09-10, 06:20 AM
The HD600s are tempting, about as much as I was ready to pay... Then again the 595s should e much cheaper than they were a few years back. I might go checkout the Hi-Fi store tomorrow. They have a nice lounge to test all the high end cans in.

I prob should pickup a headphone amp too. I doubt my X-Fi could provide enough power to really drive the high end headphones.

If you have the money then do go for the HD600 as they are simply the best all-round headphones available right now. They simply blow away the 595 with a decent amp in clarity and separation. The bass also carries a bit more punch which is a big plus when used for gaming.
If you don't want to spend that much I'd sell the x-fi you currently have and get an Xonar Essence ST/STX. While the amp isn't the best, the dacs sure make up for it. :) You could always add a separate amp later and just use the analog outs.

crainger
03-09-10, 02:06 PM
Rather keep the X-Fi as it's headphone processing for games is still better than anything else out right now.

bob saget
03-09-10, 02:50 PM
Hot ears? what are you, a bat?

http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/photos/andera/mediterranean-horseshoe-bat-euryale.jpg

DoubleDeuce
03-09-10, 07:49 PM
Check out these: http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

I have the SR60i and really like them. It's really up to how much money you are willing to spend but even the lowly SR60i have very good sound.

Aphot
03-10-10, 12:55 AM
I like open style because I can hear stuff around me, I never really though about my ears getting hot though.

Toss3
03-10-10, 03:50 AM
Check out these: http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

I have the SR60i and really like them. It's really up to how much money you are willing to spend but even the lowly SR60i have very good sound.

I've found grados to be very uncomfortable unless you have really small ears. So they're not well-suited for long gaming sessions for me at least. :) Crainger you really should visit some hifi shop and take your favorite music with you and just choose the headphones you like the best.

Bman212121
03-10-10, 08:10 AM
The HD555s keep my ears warm, but I don't think it's uncomfortable.

I like open style because I can hear stuff around me, I never really though about my ears getting hot though.

That just means that the sound is not loud enough. :p

If I'm listening to music anyone can sneak up behind me.

crainger
03-10-10, 01:55 PM
I've found grados to be very uncomfortable unless you have really small ears. So they're not well-suited for long gaming sessions for me at least. :) Crainger you really should visit some hifi shop and take your favorite music with you and just choose the headphones you like the best.

If you read above that is what I said I was going to do. As it's for gaming though. I better take mah whole PC in. ::p:

@Bman, if your music is that loud you risk doing permanent damage to your hearing if you haven't already. ::(: