PDA

View Full Version : ***Official Final Fantasy XIII Feedback Thread***

Pages : [1] 2

crainger
03-09-10, 04:37 AM
So it's out. Anyone get it yet? I haven't played a FFXIII game since VII and from the reviews XIII is very watered down compared the the last few games, so I'm thinking it could e a good way to try them out again. I also hear the story is kinda crap this time round. ::(:

|MaguS|
03-09-10, 06:17 AM
I heard the story is great... after 12 hours of me. Im gonna wait abit, I got alot of games on my plate right now.

btw, You haven't played a FFXIII since FFVII? That would be kinda difficult to do...

NarcissistZero
03-09-10, 09:05 AM
The streamlined linear thing reminds me of FFX, though even worse this time it seems. Really turns me off... my favorite FFs were always the less linear ones like VI and IX. And no towns to explore? Reall?

I thought this game might spur me to go get my PS3 back, but so far it is not.

|MaguS|
03-09-10, 09:10 AM
Meh, Most Final Fantasy games were pretty linear. Yeah most had an open world but my Favorite one (FFX) was the most linear of the series. I think linearity for the FF series isn't a bad thing since they focus more on story then they do extra content always. Take FF6, probably the least linear of the series and it really didn't have too much to offer outside the main story.

NarcissistZero
03-09-10, 09:22 AM
Meh, Most Final Fantasy games were pretty linear. Yeah most had an open world but my Favorite one (FFX) was the most linear of the series. I think linearity for the FF series isn't a bad thing since they focus more on story then they do extra content always. Take FF6, probably the least linear of the series and it really didn't have too much to offer outside the main story.

Well during my early console days FF6 was amazing to me because I could take that ship and go where I wanted, that was amazing to me at the time. Of course later on I saw how linear it was story wise, compared to games like Fallout or Morrowind, but that was what made me love the game.

The best parts of later FFs in my opinion was the later game exploration, looking for secrets, looking for new areas, collecting the best weapons... from what I have read this one has none of that, no exploring towns and talking to people... it just seems too streamlined for me, so I am holding back.

tornadog
03-09-10, 09:25 AM
I have only played FF Crystal Chronicles: My life as a king. Does that count?

Ninjaman09
03-09-10, 10:02 AM
Haven't decided yet, the combat system looks cool and I agree that FFX was one of the best. Think I'll wait a bit, GoW3 next week and all.

NaitoSan
03-09-10, 10:48 AM
I'm holding it until it goes on sale which I think it will. I have a lot games to finish first like Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Demon's Souls, inFamous, God of War III, Heavy Rain, and many more. Heh. I tend to play RPG during summer time when I don't have classes.

Last few weeks I finished four games in a week. Ghostbusters, Dante's Inferno, God of War I and II (well, I beat first game but wanted to repeat it). Right now I'm working on Batman: Arkham Asylum (AMAZING game!).

crainger
03-09-10, 12:58 PM
I heard the story is great... after 12 hours of me. Im gonna wait abit, I got alot of games on my plate right now.

btw, You haven't played a FFXIII since FFVII? That would be kinda difficult to do...

The big problem with the story, they just pile it all on. There is no real intro. You just start the game and are expected to know what's going on. Kinda like watching something like Lost midway through the middle seasons.

As for the combat, a huge part of the first 10 hours of the game, you can only choose one option. Auto Combat and you only control one party member. What's up with that?

Sure there is the codex, but who plays a console game to read?

As for missing the other FFs. I played 7 on PC, didn't own a PS2 for any of the others. Played a bit of 8, which left a bad taste as 8 was pretty crummy.

Viral
03-10-10, 12:42 AM
Everything I'm hearing I don't like. I will have to make my own decision though, I'll be buying it tomorrow night.

I think FFXII had the best system so far, it was just the story that let it down for me. I didn't mind the sphere grid in X, but it wasn't brilliant either, this new system just sounds like all the bad things are taken from the sphere grid and none of the good things (choosing the direction you want to go with your player).

Lack of side quests sucks. I loved the monster bounty hunts in XII, was the most addicting part of it for me. No stores and proper towns is a huge disappointment too. This was one thing I though they perfected in XII, really added to the atmosphere and it was good to have central hubs/safehouses to come back to after a mission, it fitted in quite well with XII's less linear approach to the maps.

I guess I'll reserve my final judgement until I've sunk 20+ hours into it. For now, it's looking like once again us FFXII fans are the definite minority so they've decided to take a step back to the old formular with some new twists. Problem is, it's looking like they went back further than any of the modern games. Can't say I have any good hopes for the story or characters either...

KasuCode
03-10-10, 03:16 AM
Ive got 12 hours in it so far I like it allot. Feels diffrent. I like the combat. and i like linear games for story. I hate when I play a game for 40 hours and miss on something I dont have the time to go back and play it again.

LurkerLito
03-10-10, 05:28 PM
I played it for about 2 hours and honestly I am not getting into it. Maybe it's too early for me to really decide if I like it or not, but as of now I am not liking the combat system. Maybe I am just too use to the pause and turn based games I have been playing lately, but it feels like there is no strategy to it at all, just pick auto and it all seems to work out right. I liked it better when it was turn based then I got to pick what each character would do/use. It does seem extremely linear, so far no surprises and it seems everything shows up on the map. There haven't been any mini games yet but it's early. I also don't like the whole if the leader dies then the game is over even if everyone else if fine and you have phoenix down potions available.

pkirby11
03-10-10, 06:17 PM
I've only played a few hours but I'm liking it. It's all a matter of opinion of course but as I get older I have less time. Just like a movie or a good book I like to have some goal to strive for. I can't play non-linear RPG's any more because I always feel like there is so much to choose from I miss the story. I don't have hours to spend doing every mini game or side quest and I certainly don't have the time to go back to play it again.

I play all my games on easy, I go through them hoping for good graphics, game play and story. If it has those I don't care that it's linear, it's just like a good movie or book. I'd hate it if the main story went off in a movie on some random tangent. So far I'm digging FFXIII and the linear feel. I like it a lot. Very good game so far.

KasuCode
03-10-10, 06:29 PM
I played it for about 2 hours and honestly I am not getting into it. Maybe it's too early for me to really decide if I like it or not, but as of now I am not liking the combat system. Maybe I am just too use to the pause and turn based games I have been playing lately, but it feels like there is no strategy to it at all, just pick auto and it all seems to work out right. I liked it better when it was turn based then I got to pick what each character would do/use. It does seem extremely linear, so far no surprises and it seems everything shows up on the map. There haven't been any mini games yet but it's early. I also don't like the whole if the leader dies then the game is over even if everyone else if fine and you have phoenix down potions available.

You dont even have all the combat system available to you yet lol. Its diffrent thats for sre but iI like it. Im about to go and play some more I got roughly 15 hours in.

KasuCode
03-11-10, 02:13 AM
The more I play the more I enjoy this game.

lognoronon
03-11-10, 04:02 AM
Got 16 hours in and like it so far. The start is kind of slow with combat options but it opens up. I find myself switching paradigms all the time to make it through so I don't consider it mindless. You have to actually pay attention to a lot of battles and not just hit the auto option constantly or you are going to wind up dead all the time.

Viral
03-11-10, 06:25 PM
I'm about halfway through chapter 3 and it definitely got a lot better. The first two chapters where boring as hell until you unlock all the combat system. I still prefer XII's system, but this one is still above the older system in many ways. The main thing I like so far the way you can catch enemies off guard and stagger them. The stagger system itself is alright too.

Much of the addictive leveling isn't there though. I just don't feel as much like I started out as a weakling and am working my way towards being some unstoppable warrior. I liked 12 in that regard with you being an amatuer bounty hunter and how you could accidentally stumble into advanced areas and get your arse handed to you by multiple high level enemies. That's missing from this installment because of the more linear levels just like the older games. It's a real shame :(

jlippo
03-12-10, 01:10 AM
Just got to the big place, the game gets more free whole time.
Also getting killed seems to be easier, happily one can avoid most of the fights.

Mr. Hunt
03-12-10, 01:37 AM
Went ahead and picked this up since my PC was broken (fixed now, thank God) and I have been enjoying it quite a bit... probably 10 (give or take a few hours, not sure) hours in and it is pretty good so far, my main problem right now is they keep switching characters on me and I am hating it. Is there a point where I get 3 characters for the rest of the game or what? I keep getting split into 2 man groups and it is annoying.

KasuCode
03-12-10, 02:22 AM
Went ahead and picked this up since my PC was broken (fixed now, thank God) and I have been enjoying it quite a bit... probably 10 (give or take a few hours, not sure) hours in and it is pretty good so far, my main problem right now is they keep switching characters on me and I am hating it. Is there a point where I get 3 characters for the rest of the game or what? I keep getting split into 2 man groups and it is annoying.

I like the way they did it altho I did not like playing sazh But keep playing you will enjoy it more and more. I think they did this so the game never feels repetitive. Wait tell you read up about all the diffrent weapon and item upgrading.

Mr. Hunt
03-12-10, 02:36 AM
I like the way they did it altho I did not like playing sazh But keep playing you will enjoy it more and more. I think they did this so the game never feels repetitive. Wait tell you read up about all the diffrent weapon and item upgrading.

I have gotten to the upgrading weapons and stuff already... I just hate being stuck with 2 party members... I HATE Hope and Sazh with a passion and at least one of them is in my party 100% of the time now :(. Are you saying where you are it is STILL 2 man teams most of the time? I do not like this crap.

KasuCode
03-12-10, 02:45 AM
Later you will be able to pick your leader just keep playing. And I know you can upgrade weapons I ment figuring out the formulas Hope is actualy pretty good.

look here http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=950899&topic=53857969

Mr. Hunt
03-12-10, 03:45 AM
My head is exploding looking at those charts :(. Still not sure if I will manage to finish this before GoW3 or not... guess it depends on how much time I waste on it lol.

LurkerLito
03-12-10, 10:31 AM
Ok I played now for like 9 hours according to the clock and the game is fun and I do like it, but I am still not liking the real time battle system that much. I guess I am a control freak, but I really prefer the old battle system where I could micromanage everyone. The paradigm shifts are an interesting component though but completely unnecessary if we could micromanage like before.

The upgrading thing honestly I don't get. Are there no guidelines or rules that were mentioned. I thought if I used the something oil + spark plug, I'd get a flaming sword or something similar, but that isn't how it seems to work.

Mr. Hunt
03-12-10, 11:37 AM
I really like the Paradigm shift system in this.