PDA

View Full Version : Modern Warfare 2 sells "millions" on PC

Pages : [1] 2

NarcissistZero
03-09-10, 09:18 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/09/modern-warfare-2-enlists-25-million-unique-players-bowling-says/

It's been in the Steam top sellers since it launched last year, so this is no surprise. The Xbox leads and the PS3 is second he says, but the PC version still sold millions already.

Let's assume it's 3 million, that equals $180,000,000. Not chump change, certainly.

|MaguS|
03-09-10, 09:21 AM
Thats good for the PC Platform, shows signs that it can sell a good amount of units. Sadly few other titles would ever outsell MW2.

NarcissistZero
03-09-10, 09:24 AM
Thats good for the PC Platform, shows signs that it can sell a good amount of units. Sadly few other titles would ever outsell MW2.

Bad Company 2 is doing well I assume, since we beat the other 2 platforms post-launch. Still, it's not GREAT news because it shows online games are the still the only ones really making a lot of money on PC, be it MMOs or online warfare.

It's singleplayer games we are seeing the death of.

Destroy
03-09-10, 09:35 AM
Yay for the steadfast and hold outs not buying this game. You go boycotters!!! You go!!!

|MaguS|
03-09-10, 09:35 AM
Well they said that they have more players online on the PC then the consoles for BF:BC2 but I bet it sold more units on the consoles. Remember, online play still still not as big on the consoles as it is on the PC, it's still in its infancy.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc/933150-updates-servers-now-soon.html#post13086470

That is likely to be solved by the 2nd update when we can make use of the dedicated BFBC2 PC servers.

btw: PC currently has more people playing and are in game servers than both the consoles.

Noticed on Kotaku that this post was taken the wrong way. The PC had more players than either console not more than both consoles combined. You'll need to work to beat both consoles combined effort

six_storm
03-09-10, 09:41 AM
MW2 isn't as bad as most people put it out to be. That or I just really enjoy it so far. BF:BC2 is awesome as well. Both games deserve to be #1 spot contenders.

mailman2
03-09-10, 10:14 AM
Bad Company 2 is doing well I assume, since we beat the other 2 platforms post-launch. Still, it's not GREAT news because it shows online games are the still the only ones really making a lot of money on PC, be it MMOs or online warfare.

Yea, but its not an MMO and we dont have to pay monthly. I dont want them thinking that is the way to go, no way I'm paying monthly for any game.

mailman2
03-09-10, 10:16 AM
MW2 isn't as bad as most people put it out to be. That or I just really enjoy it so far. BF:BC2 is awesome as well. Both games deserve to be #1 spot contenders.

+1, they are both really different games online too. MW2 is about fast reflexes as most of the combat is up close and personal. BF BC2 2 is alot more teamwork and wide open battles. Need to stay behind cover when moving, etc.

Destroy
03-09-10, 10:32 AM

I really wish they would start selling the SP and MP parts separate at appropriate costs. Would really like to play Bad Company2 SP but I don't see the value at all in its current way of sale.

Sucks when the console guys can just rent it for $9 and play the SP. :thumbdwn:

six_storm
03-09-10, 11:08 AM
+1, they are both really different games online too. MW2 is about fast reflexes as most of the combat is up close and personal. BF BC2 2 is alot more teamwork and wide open battles. Need to stay behind cover when moving, etc.

+1.

Kaguya
03-09-10, 12:01 PM

The problem for me is that I have no interest in MW2 multiplayer, so until it goes on sale (sometime in 2015) it's not conveniently priced as a singleplayer campaign. BC2, at least, I stand a better chance of playing multiplayer - assuming it reminds me of BF1942.

Logical
03-09-10, 01:02 PM
It would have sold quite a lot more on PC if it had been shipped with dedi servers.

K007
03-09-10, 01:33 PM

Dedicated Servers.

It would have sold quite a lot more on PC if it had been shipped with dedi servers.

A lot more, if it was a proper PC Version it would have defiantly picked up a lot more sales.

On a side note, Dice is regretting not making Bad Company 1 on the PC :P

|MaguS|
03-09-10, 01:38 PM
A lot more, if it was a proper PC Version it would have defiantly picked up a lot more sales.

Oh cut the bull****, no it wouldn't have. It outsold the original easily and thats even with all the crying by the elitist.

NarcissistZero
03-09-10, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I think the sales figures show it didn't matter much. They might have lost 50,000, but then gained another 50,000 from other areas, or whatever number you want to use.

Mr. Hunt
03-09-10, 02:08 PM

Highly doubtful. Did you see the boycotters? They all rushed out and bought the game practically instantly. They just hoped a boycott would change IWs mind and it didn't, but IW didn't care because they still sold millions for every platform.

Buenamos
03-09-10, 02:12 PM
I didn't buy it for PC because the lack of dedicated servers. :(

bob saget
03-09-10, 02:32 PM
I also didn't buy it. Played, but didn't buy.

dikinher
03-09-10, 02:39 PM
I sure as hell didn't buy MW2. I've only played Singleplayer on my younger brother's PS3. It wasn't bad, but not worth $60. However, many dip****s on my ventrilo ended up buying the game for the PC despite the crap that came out of their mouths; idiots...

Hari Seldon
03-09-10, 03:38 PM
Yea, but its not an MMO and we dont have to pay monthly. I dont want them thinking that is the way to go, no way I'm paying monthly for any game.Not yet, you don't, but there are plans to make atleast one COD game subscription based, if you haven't heard it already.
Activision Hints At Subscription-Based 'Call of Duty' Again (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1068414p1.html)
Activision expresses interest in subscription based call of duty (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/10/activision-expresses-interest-in-subscription-based-call-of-duty/)

NarcissistZero
03-09-10, 04:58 PM
And for all the people screaming about a CoD MMO being a terrible idea, I bet the majority of hardcore FPS online players would LOVE a CoD game with massive areas, massive player counts, new maps on a consistent basis and full dedicated server support, all with just a basic monthly fee.

Hell, that sounds awesome to me.

bacon12
03-09-10, 05:08 PM
Oh cut the bull****, no it wouldn't have. It outsold the original easily and thats even with all the crying by the elitist.

He is right though. Out of the 30 + people in my clan who would have bought it only 2 did. Hundreds of clans out there in the same boat. At least a few hundred thousand copies.

|MaguS|
03-09-10, 05:11 PM
He is right though. Out of the 30 + people in my clan who would have bought it only 2 did. Hundreds of clans out there in the same boat. At least a few hundred thousand copies.

Im willing to bet less then a hundred thousand were lost by the lack of dedicated servers. If the boycott showed anything is that it wasn't such a serious issue.

bacon12
03-09-10, 05:29 PM
If I am any example of a person who knows at least 10 people who did boycott then it was more than that. Still, if you are correct $600,000 is nothing to sneeze at. But they will more than make up for it when they release the first DLC pack @$10. Which is why I think they went with P2P on PC anyways.

Logical
03-09-10, 07:33 PM
I only suggested that had it had dedi servers it would have sold more than it did. How it would have gained sales from not having dedi servers is beyond me but it seems most people's reply when i ask "why haven't you got it" is usually "Because it doesn't have dedi servers".