PDA

View Full Version : Uplay

NarcissistZero
03-11-10, 02:30 AM
So amidst all the panic over Ubisoft's DRM, did anyone actually check out www.uplay.com?

It has a neat gimmick where achievements in the game unlock bonus items and features you get on uplay which then, due to the account-based game system, unlock in your game. For instance in Assassin's Creed 2 I can trade 30 "uplay points" for a new underground crypt level, or a larger throwing knife count, and I earn these uplay points by beating levels in the game.

Basically it is an Xbox or Steam-like achievement system with actual rewards in gameplay, which I really like. I was always tempted to be an achievement hunter when I played Xbox games but the lack of actual reward held me back.

Of course, the ubiplay achievements are pretty simple, basically beat the game and you get them all, but still... neat.

Anyone else check it out?

crainger
03-11-10, 03:08 AM
I got the email about it, but never checked it out. Pretty cool that the point are actually useful. Maybe one day all games, all systems will just use the one point system and combine it with some sort of social/community site.

NarcissistZero
03-11-10, 03:27 AM
I would kind of bet on the opposite, that every publisher will try and have their own little system like this, especially on PC.

Kaguya
03-11-10, 10:53 AM
I looked at this a bit - didn't buy any of the bonuses with achievement points yet - but it would be cool to see this sort of thing happen more often.

Valve already has something like this with TF2 - complete a certain number of achievements and unlock a new item. See no reason this sort of system shouldn't be used in other games... I do wonder, though, if in GFWL if you could earn a bunch of points in SFIV and then pool them into Bioshock 2 for bonus plasmids, for example :) I think that would be cool.

NarcissistZero
03-11-10, 12:30 PM
Yeah, MS really missed the boat with their achievements being worthless. I have completist tendencies but not when it is meaningless... this Ubiplay thing though, I can see me trying to unlock ever bonus map or skin.