PDA

View Full Version : OnLive Launching June 17, $14.95 Per month

Pages : [1] 2

mojoman0
03-11-10, 12:44 PM
http://www.ugo.com/games/onlive-launching-june-17-14-95-per-month

At the GamesBeat portion of the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco this morning, Steve Perlman, CEO of OnLive, finally announced details for the launch of the cloud computing gaming service. A year after the service was first unveiled at GDC in 2009, Perlman was able to point to E3 2010 as the official launch of OnLive.

June 17th is the date, and according to Perlman the service will be up and running in all 48 contiguous United States at that time.

Perlman also revealed a price point for the service's monthly fee: $14.95. This is the month-to-month rate -- different pricing options will be available for people who sign up for longer term commitments. He also mentioned that the first 25,000 people to register for the service will get the first three months of charges waived. However, it was a bit unclear as to what the service fee would buy you -- it's obviously access to OnLive and to all of its features (gamer tag, friends, spectator viewing, free demos, etc.), but in terms of the actual games there will be charges for buying and renting them, and we don't yet know what those rates will be.

One thing that was unclear is when the actual OnLive MicroConsole (the box you plug into your TV) will available -- the June 17th launch only refers to the service being up and running for PCs and Macs. And in terms of when the service hits in the rest of the world, Perlman says that more details will be available later this year.

But anyway, at least we now have a date for the initial launch. And E3 2010 is sounding more and more exciting.

JasonPC
03-11-10, 12:52 PM
This sounds like a costly service. But I guess it all depends on how much the games actually cost. The whole thing seems less than ideal. In the long run you'll end up sinking as much money as a console but you won't actually own anything.

NarcissistZero
03-11-10, 01:13 PM
If you "buy" a game, then let your monthly service subsciption die, I assume you can no longer access your "purchased" game?

This better die, but knowing my luck, it will thrive and be the new standard. Yay.

nekrosoft13
03-11-10, 01:26 PM
knowing the stupidity of the masses

|MaguS|
03-11-10, 01:48 PM
I can't imagine core games doing well on this, this will thrive as a casual system for popcap games and the like.

LurkerLito
03-11-10, 03:05 PM
Though technically it is the ultimate in piracy protection. There is no way to play pirated games or to pirate them with the onlive service.

IMO there is no way it will succeed I can't see anyone ever shelling out $50 for a game then a monthly $15 fee to have the right to play the game. Even if the games were always 50% off Retail MSRP ($25) I still can't see it happening. For casual games that normally cost $10-$20, I don't see how anyone would be stupid enough to buy the same game for the same price + a monthly fee where you lose the game you "bought" if you don't pay the monthly. Casual games also are something less likely to succeed on the platform because the casual games require significantly less PC power than a AAA like game, that makes this kind of service completely unnecessary.

Where this might actually work is if it worked like steam retail games. You buy the game in a store or digital download service, then the Serial #, also works in OnLive. That way people who wanted to play their game via the service would also get to keep their games if they wish to no longer pay the monthly or finally build/bought a capable PC.

Armed_Baboon
03-11-10, 04:49 PM
this will be great for the Tower Defence crowd. and probaby the Japanese... but I'm not sure why.

Chesskid1
03-12-10, 12:10 AM
. and probaby the Japanese... but I'm not sure why.

probably won't be too big in japan since it's usa only atm :o

CaptNKILL
03-12-10, 12:25 AM
This better die, but knowing my luck, it will thrive and be the new standard. Yay.

Agreed.

This needs to go down in flames.

If this catches on in a big way, say goodbye to our hobby... upgrading, tweaking, hardware, gaming PCs, control over how and when you play your games... it'd all be gone if this was the standard.

NarcissistZero
03-12-10, 12:46 AM
Agreed.

This needs to go down in flames.

If this catches on in a big way, say goodbye to our hobby... upgrading, tweaking, hardware, gaming PCs, control over how and when you play your games... it'd all be gone if this was the standard.

Indeed. I fear it. I don't understand why other PC gamers do not fear it. Console gamers... I can see the indifference... PC gamers though, FEAR THIS CRAP.

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-12-10, 12:59 AM
Wow, this is just retarded. Pay monthly to play games that you could easily buy and keep, and not have to pay a monthly fee.

And how the are they going to deliver this high-quality streaming (didn't they say max detail?) @ 30fps without noticable lag? At a bare minimum, they would have to transmit at the very least 1280x768 or 1280x960. No way they could do that.

I imagine this could be good for peggle lol, click and wait 10 seconds.

Try to play a game via VNC with max compression, this is no different... lol, glhf!

NarcissistZero
03-12-10, 01:44 AM
It's 480p on standard cable internet/DSL... 720p on like super broadband. 1080p supposedly will come someday.

And yeah, they say max details, but who knows how much they will live up to that, especially when they see the upgrade bill for all their PCs. And with the compression grain and low res, it will look like crap anyway.

Such a horrible idea.

ViN86
03-12-10, 07:12 AM
You guys are calling this horrible only because you feel threatened.

This is just Game Fly except you don't have to wait for the mail to arrive. Rental services will never replace game sales.

NarcissistZero
03-12-10, 07:15 AM
You guys are calling this horrible only because you feel threatened.

This is just Game Fly except you don't have to wait for the mail to arrive. Rental services will never replace game sales.

Uh, it has purchasing.

And if Gamefly removed everything that makes PC games PC games then I would hate it too.

ViN86
03-12-10, 07:25 AM
Uh, it has purchasing.

And if Gamefly removed everything that makes PC games PC games then I would hate it too.

You guys are overreacting. :lol:

|MaguS|
03-12-10, 08:35 AM
You guys are overreacting. :lol:

True, They are acting like developers will stop developing games for the retail market and only for onLive. If steam has shown anything is that the market is not ready to go fully digital yet, the retail B&M locations are still a huge portion of sales and income.

LurkerLito
03-12-10, 10:00 AM
I don't think anyone is overreacting. I think it is imperative that the general population hear from more technical inclined people what this service is. If it was just a rental only service then maybe it would have some redeeming value, since that way at least people know they are not getting to keep anything. But it is being sold as a platform where you "purchase" games that can never be played again if you don't keep paying them their monthly fee. We are not talking MMO here we are talking single player games. This system bugs me as much as Ubisoft's DRM.

ViN86
03-12-10, 10:05 AM
I don't think anyone is overreacting. I think it is imperative that the general population hear from more technical inclined people what this service is. If it was just a rental only service then maybe it would have some redeeming value, since that way at least people know they are not getting to keep anything. But it is being sold as a platform where you "purchase" games that can never be played again if you don't keep paying them their monthly fee. We are not talking MMO here we are talking single player games. This system bugs me as much as Ubisoft's DRM.

Read magus's post right above yours. Devs will not stop releasing installable games. If you don't like the service then don't subscribe. :retard:

TheANIMAL
03-12-10, 10:37 AM
That micro-console sounds like a big trend setter.

wysiwyg
03-12-10, 10:58 AM
hopefully it will make gaming more easily accessible to poeple who cannot afford id or tried it before

so many people dont realise what games can do these days

i just hope it doesnt finish of pc gaming as i love upgrading, having the best graphics you get on PC

|MaguS|
03-12-10, 01:45 PM
Read magus's post right above yours. Devs will not stop releasing installable games. If you don't like the service then don't subscribe. :retard:

If anything this could help generate more revenue for PC Games since OnLive has to pay game publishers for the use of their games, more subscribers means that publishers get more revenue from the service off their PC Games.

hapooh
03-12-10, 02:31 PM
I've tried the beta and liked it. Granted image quality is reduced, but it really does work better then one would expect.

At $15 just for the membership fee, and then $40 to play this game and $50 to play that game.....that's BS. It will fail miserably and be out of business.

Now if they had a pricing tier say $15/month for older games and $25 to play new releases then, it may stand a chance.

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-12-10, 02:53 PM
What about latency? What resolution were you gaming at? Whats your bandwidth limit?

|MaguS|
03-12-10, 03:01 PM
I've tried the beta and liked it. Granted image quality is reduced, but it really does work better then one would expect.

At $15 just for the membership fee, and then $40 to play this game and $50 to play that game.....that's BS. It will fail miserably and be out of business.

Now if they had a pricing tier say $15/month for older games and $25 to play new releases then, it may stand a chance.

Yeah I think pricing is whats going to kill it. They are going to advertise it as a $15 a month service but once people find out that they must purchase games seperatly its going to lose alot of people. Only people I think this will help will be the ones who don't upgrade their systems or don't care to have a gaming rig at all.

NarcissistZero
03-12-10, 03:08 PM

The point is that if it takes off, if people flock to it because it's simple and accessible, the two main things consumers love, then it will get more and more attention, then exlcusives, then competitors with similar ideas, then before you know it the entire industry is streamed.

You act like it will always stay in the situation it is in at launch even if it is tremedously successful.