PDA

View Full Version : Better than fraps?

Pages : [1] 2

Noriega
03-11-10, 06:04 PM
Need some software to record a video from game. Fraps sux, what's better?

Redeemed
03-11-10, 06:05 PM
HD Camcorder on a tripod in front of your monitor on your desk.

Drolfrawd
03-11-10, 06:05 PM
http://toolkit.mindbites.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/old-camera-copy.jpg

Noriega
03-11-10, 06:07 PM
HD Camcorder on a tripod in front of your monitor on your desk.

No. That's what a noob do.

nekrosoft13
03-11-10, 06:09 PM
Need some software to record a video from game. Fraps sux, what's better?

nothing

Noriega
03-11-10, 06:11 PM
nothing

The Internet don't think so

http://www.anewmorning.com/2009/01/06/5-free-alternatives-to-fraps/

nekrosoft13
03-11-10, 06:13 PM
you didn't ask what are the alternatives, you said that better.

|MaguS|
03-11-10, 06:18 PM
FRAPS is the best game capture software, There are alternatives but they suck.

Noriega
03-11-10, 06:59 PM
You guys must be joking. Fraps movies are way too big in MB.

Cream
03-11-10, 07:01 PM
If you know what's better, Why are you asking?

Noriega
03-11-10, 07:09 PM
If you know what's better, Why are you asking?

Xfire records video and render it. At the end videos have much smaller size.

|MaguS|
03-11-10, 07:13 PM
You can just recode the videos with better compression. FRAPS doesnt use any compression to lessen the CPU load and offer the best quality from the start.

Zenoth
03-11-10, 07:25 PM
You can just recode the videos with better compression. FRAPS doesnt use any compression to lessen the CPU load and offer the best quality from the start.

Finally someone with common sense.

And for users with around 200GB of HDD space it's easy to use FRAPS with moderation, since of course the uncompressed files will be many GBs in size at the end. The longest video I've recorded with FRAPS was 164GB at the end, split in about 30+ files (if I recall correctly, it's been some time now), so the more GB space you have on your HDD(s) on which you let FRAPS place the files during the recording and the less you have to worry about anything pretty much, the HDD I use for it is 900GB large, when I record about anything there's no problems, once it's done all I do is launch VirtualDub and compress the heck out of each files to my tastes. And from the multiple recording softwares I've used I can easily say that FRAPS is the best, and FRAPS now is much better than it was only a year ago, the only thing I haven't been able to do with it so far is to record the Desktop, not that it matter much anyway.

supra
03-11-10, 07:26 PM

ya because its a smooth stream and good quality. if u want it to encode while its capturing ur gona get a laggy vid.

as MaguS said just re encode it to ur desired codec afterwards and delete the source.

Sazar
03-11-10, 07:43 PM

Depends.

The raw files are, but if you are using Windows (win7 in my case), simply open Movie Maker and blam, automatic conversion of file and, if you set it up right, automatic upload to your Youtube or other account.

It is superfast in Win7.

|MaguS|
03-11-10, 07:44 PM
Clearly Noriega is the perfect candidate for Peter Molyneux games...

Albo
03-11-10, 08:33 PM
Doesn't fraps cut your fps in half?

It does for me.. that's why I don't use it. And probably why Noriega doesn't either.

It gets so bad that it's unplayable :(

Armed_Baboon
03-11-10, 09:22 PM

It does for me.. that's why I don't use it. And probably why Noriega doesn't either.

yeah I had the same experience with fraps, but that was back when ET:QW was new. so not sure it's improved since then. I tried to make a "kill" movie with some heavy metal playing, but it was pretty crap due to constant stuttering.

Madpistol
03-12-10, 12:17 AM
FRAPS creates a raw video file. If you think that's bad, wait until you throw in some video editing... then, it becomes a godsend (think stupidly high quality, uncompressed video as your source)

Seriously, if you want FRAPS to work properly for movie/video creation, here's what you need...

Latest retail version of FRAPS (gets rid of that ugly watermark)

Medium to high-end Quad Core Processor (Q6600 or Phenom II X4)

Decent graphics card (GTX 260 or HD 4850 and up)

Extra Hard Drive dedicated to recording videos.

What does this net you?

Uncompressed video on most games at 1080P @ 30FPS

You want proof? The video below was taken with my current rig:

gYS6EoK0Q0k
Click that video and watch it at 1080P on youtube

That's on a "crappy" AMD processor too. I'm sure an i7 920 @ 4Ghz could do a lot more. ;)

Retrolock
03-12-10, 12:22 AM
You can try wegame.

http://www.wegame.com/download/

shilk
03-12-10, 02:01 AM
GameCam is also another alternative. But FRAPS is the best. You can even record in lossless RGB which is by far the best quality RAW footage you're going to get. Having something that encodes on the fly is really, really bad.

I'd rather have full control over how I encode the video afterwards. If anyone works in post production like I do, the golden rule is "crap in = crap out". It's a nightmare doing anything with something that's already been encoded. The last thing I'd want is 3rd party software doing it for me.

Like Madpistol mentioned, having FRAPS record the raw footage to a different harddrive other than the one the game is running on increases the FPS tenfold. Try that. I can record with FRAPS and there's practically no dips in FPS. If I slap on high AA and other stuff it shows, but as long as it stays above 30 FPS, I'm completely happy with that since I'm coverting it to 29.95 (NTSC standard) video anyways.

CaptNKILL
03-12-10, 02:24 AM
I haven't recorded a video with fraps in a while.

Does it still cap your frame rate at whatever framerate you're recording at?

For example, if I want a 24fps video, will it cap my frame rate at 24fps in-game while recording? I always hated that it had to do this which is why I very rarely record any videos. I'm a 60fps person, and recording 60fps video is just not reasonable due to file size and CPU load. If I could just game at whatever frame rate my system could manage while recording at 24fps, I'd be happy. Even if the video ended up doing some interpolation or something, that'd be fine... though that probably requires more CPU power as well.

Buio
03-12-10, 04:33 AM

It is a software solution which dumps the framebuffer into a streamed videofile together with synced audio. A high resolution 1920x1200 @ 30fps uncompressed is about 200MB data per second. With a half-res recording it would still be 50MB/s. Now it is dynamic and the file is slightly compressed so the end result would be smaller in practical use, but in the end its still lots of data.

It is pretty clear that recording a huge amount of data would put a strain on the system, which can cause complications as games of course also do that at the same time. Things like I/O and HDD/SSD speed are crucial, but other components like CPU also matters. Some games gives worse performance when recording.

Games that uses streaming data (doesn't pre-load the whole level) would probably create more problems, as they use I/O and HDD at the same time you fraps. It's like copying files while defragmenting or doing a virus scan, if you do that on the same drive it will go slower.

* Record to a really fast and big secondary HDD, which is defragmented or even empty
* Tune down the game settings so it doesn't strain the system
* Test different settings in fraps and find which is the limit you can record with decent performance

Vardant
03-12-10, 05:04 AM
What about this? http://www.playclaw.com/

And some test - http://capture-game-video.com/fraps-vs-playclaw-competition-i.php

Noriega
03-12-10, 05:29 AM
Clearly Noriega is the perfect candidate for Peter Molyneux games...

Maybe for you fraps is best. But I don't have quad core and my free disc space is 10GB so I need something other than Fraps.

PS. and I don't need to record a super quality game video I need to just show some bug in NFS Shift so I don't care bout quality.