PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Engine 3, Now With Steamworks

nekrosoft13
03-11-10, 05:04 PM
Epic Games and Valve Software announced they have inked a deal that will see the Valve's free Steamworks tools more easily available to all Unreal Engine 3 licensees. Epic also announces NVIDIA 3D Vision support for the Unreal Engine 3, saying the stereoscopic 3D support will be available to all licensees of their game engine, and also to users of the free Unreal Development Kit.
Facts about NVIDIA 3D Vision and Unreal Engine 3:
* Epic Games and NVIDIA have worked together to integrate “out of the box” support for NVIDIA® 3D Vision technology into Unreal Engine 3.
* Unreal Engine 3 is the engine that powers some of the most successful games in the marketplace including: Gears of War and Gears of War 2, Shadow Complex, BioShock 2, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, Borderlands and Batman: Arkham Asylum.
* The updated version of Unreal Engine 3 and UDK will be available in the near future for all licensees allowing games developed with that revision (or later) to deliver “out of the box” support for 3D vision.
* 3D Vision is the world’s leading consumer 3D solution and supports PC gaming, photographs, videos, Blu-ray 3D, and 3D Web browsing.
* 3D Vision consists of wireless, active-shutter glasses and wireless USB emitter and can work with compatible 120Hz desktop LCDs, 3D TVs and projectors. A NVIDIA GeForce® 8800 GTX or higher GPU is also required.

Additional Quotes:
“Epic and NVIDIA share a commitment to advancing the state of PC gaming. The addition of 3D Vision support to our Unreal Engine 3 will dramatically enhance the gaming experience. We are very excited to see the future of gaming in 3D.”
- Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games.

“3D really brings a new level of immersion to games, and we are ecstatic that Unreal Engine 3 licensees will be able to offer this 3D capability in their upcoming titles. Epic and NVIDIA share a common philosophy in that we love PC gaming. This will further solidify the PC as the preeminent gaming platform. ”

- Phil Eisler, general manager of 3D Vision technology at NVIDIA.

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=28655

NarcissistZero
03-11-10, 05:43 PM
I truly hope we see a wealth of indie UE3 games with Steamworks support because of all this stuff with giving the engine away and the like.

It would make my day.

v3rninater
03-12-10, 08:20 AM
I whole heart-idly agree, I hope to see some mind expanding games being created with the engine. I remember when they released the game dev tools completely for free back awhile ago. Lets see what people who can be truly creatively free to do and make what they will.

Exciting news, hopefully this makes huge money for steam/dev's and other companies developers ride this wave as a means towards releasing good PC games. As apposed to creating console games and then releasing them for PC way after the fact.

Kaguya
03-12-10, 09:48 AM
Not that this isn't good news, but where are the people crying about UE3 being an old engine like they cry about Source engine all the time? :)

NarcissistZero
03-12-10, 03:11 PM
Not that this isn't good news, but where are the people crying about UE3 being an old engine like they cry about Source engine all the time? :)

UE3 is showing age, not as bad as Source, but it is.

The point though is I think we will all look past that if indie games can leverage a more modern engine and release stunning works of creativity with the PC as the main platform. That is such an awesome concept that I doubt anyone would complain about forcing AA or slightly washed out textures.

bacon12
03-12-10, 03:56 PM
I think both source and UE3 are fine, and have been updated accordingly. Nothing dated about them IMO, UE3 needs physics without the need for nvidia's proprietary crap that only gets used when they pay a dev to do so.

I don't think either engine looks great unless a dev uses it correctly, plenty of examples out there of both that are garbage.

NarcissistZero
03-12-10, 04:10 PM
Source looks dated because of the rather close draw-in and the lack of a lot of enviornment detail.

The animation, physics and crisp look are awesome though, they just need to upgrade the other aspects. Perhaps they have for Portal 2, who knows.

XxDeadlyxX
03-13-10, 07:41 AM
Or maybe they've made a new engine - Ketchup ;)

K007
03-13-10, 08:10 AM
Y not work on UE4 instead O.o.....or do we need to wait for PS4/Next Xbox?

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-13-10, 12:23 PM

They very well could be, who knows?

FastRedPonyCar
03-14-10, 05:31 PM
Source looks dated because of the rather close draw-in and the lack of a lot of enviornment detail.

this is simply because that's how the games were designed back in the day. the cinematic mods have proven that the engine is still plenty capable of delivering visuals that rival most newer engines but the main drawback to that is still the fact that he's limited to working with the original architecture and structures implemented in the level.

We saw a nice bump in quality with EP2 and I can only assume that we'll see yet another revamp of the engine for EP3.

Now, for the unreal engine, I think it's still got a lot of life left in it but I think that a lot of game studios using it dropped the ball. The lack of quality in visuals with some of the UE games is due to lack luster textureing and modeling. Arkahm Asylum has the best models of any UE3 engine game I've seen with the possible exception being gears 2.

the bioshock games and borderlands prove that there is plenty of color available in the engine as well and I think borderlands and the mass effect games did a good job with the draw distance as far as not having a tremendous amount of bloom like GOW.

bacon12
03-15-10, 12:58 PM
I agree the engine isn't the limitation, the devs want a wider hardware player base so they opt for lower specs. I think if someone wanted to push it source could rival any engine out.

I really hope valve puts out another CS soon with a newer updated source engine.

NarcissistZero
03-15-10, 01:04 PM
I really hope valve puts out another CS soon with a newer updated source engine.

It would make sense for them to package Episode 3 and a new CS together.

Kaguya
03-15-10, 03:00 PM

They very well could be, who knows?

According to Wiki, they are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Engine#Future_version.2Frelease:_Unreal_Eng ine_4

Future version/release: Unreal Engine 4

Mark Rein, the vice-president of Epic Games, revealed on August 18, 2005 that Unreal Engine 4 had been in development over the past five years.[12] The engine targets the next generation of PC hardware and consoles after the seventh generation. The only person to work on the Unreal Engine 4 core system design so far is Tim Sweeney, technical director and founder of Epic Games.[13] However, at the 2006 GDC, Tim Sweeney stated that development would not begin in earnest on the next version until some time in 2008. Sweeney has also predicted that the number of developers would be ramped up to three or four engineers by the end of 2008, and would be aimed predominantly at the next generation consoles rather than PCs.[14] Tim gave a speech at POPL06 sharing some of his thoughts on programming.[15] However, it was later confirmed by Mark Rein, the vice president of Epic Games that Unreal Engine 4 was coming to PC. Mark Rein also clarified what Tim Sweeney meant. "When Tim Sweeney was talking about Unreal Engine 4 ... he mentioned something along the lines of it being exclusively for the next generation of consoles… what he meant was, it won't run on this generation of consoles." Due to the engine's focus on next generation consoles, Michael Capps, President of Epic Games, indicated that the engine should be ready around 2012.[16]

bacon12
03-15-10, 04:16 PM
It would make sense for them to package Episode 3 and a new CS together.

Would be a happy boy if they did. :D

K007
03-16-10, 03:06 AM
According to Wiki, they are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Engine#Future_version.2Frelease:_Unreal_Eng ine_4

so...in a nutshell.....wait for next gen console before we can see ut4 in action...

bacon12
03-16-10, 12:53 PM
so...in a nutshell.....wait for next gen console before we can see ut4 in action...

Or maybe they use PC to bug test it. :P