PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL 4.0 release, on par with DirectX 11

AngelGraves13
03-11-10, 09:24 PM
OpenGL version 4.0, released on March 10, 2010, is the twelfth revision since the original version 1.0.

The OpenGL 4.0 specification and the GLSL 4.00 update to the OpenGL Shading language enable developers to access the latest generation of GPU acceleration with significantly enhanced graphics quality, acceleration performance and programming flexibility.

OpenGL 4.0 further improves the close interoperability with OpenCL™ for accelerating computationally intensive visual applications. OpenGL 4.0 also continues support for both the Core and Compatibility profiles first introduced with OpenGL 3.2, enabling developers to use a streamlined API or retain backwards compatibility for existing OpenGL code, depending on their market needs.

OpenGL 4.0 has been specifically designed to bring significant benefits to application developers, including:

* two new shader stages that enable the GPU to offload geometry tessellation from the CPU;
* per-sample fragment shaders and programmable fragment shader input positions for increased rendering quality and anti-aliasing flexibility;
* drawing of data generated by OpenGL, or external APIs such as OpenCL, without CPU intervention;
* shader subroutines for significantly increased programming flexibility;
* separation of texture state and texture data through the addition of a new object type called sampler objects;
* 64-bit double precision floating point shader operations and inputs/outputs for increased rendering accuracy and quality;
* performance improvements, including instanced geometry shaders, instanced arrays, and a new timer query.

Source: OpenGL Home (http://www.opengl.org/)

I can't wait to see what RAGE, DOOM 4, and idTech5 will look like with Tessellation :D

FearMeAll
03-11-10, 09:48 PM
Hey great! Let'em duke it out. I like me some good looking opengl games.

Redeemed
03-11-10, 10:24 PM
This is awesome! I remember back when there was a lot of competition between OpenGL and DX- I sincerely pray we get back to that. :)

Noobfryer
03-11-10, 10:28 PM
Sounds awesome. But dont forget RAGE is DX9 for windows. It will ship on OGL for Mac though of course. But there is always the chance Doom 4 will use OGL 4.0.
http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/462

AngelGraves13
03-11-10, 11:14 PM
Sounds awesome. But dont forget RAGE is DX9 for windows. It will ship on OGL for Mac though of course. But there is always the chance Doom 4 will use OGL 4.0.
http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/462

That's from 2007, last I heard (2009) it was running on OpenGL.

Kaguya
03-11-10, 11:16 PM
I assume that OpenGL 4.0 requires updated hardware, or can updated drivers for current cards allow OpenGL 4.0 usage today?

AngelGraves13
03-11-10, 11:30 PM
If your hardware support DX11 then you can use OpenGL 4.0, otherwise it falls back to OpenGL 3.3 (DX10/10.1 equivalent).

logan
03-11-10, 11:34 PM
I've always thought of myself as more of an OpenGL person because of my longtime use of Linux, but I don't think it'll ever get back to the days when OpenGL and DirectX were competitive.. It's just too late. It's like id Software sitting on Quake 3 for way too long and Epic flew right past them with UE. Tech 4 has like 4 or 5 games and UE3 has more than a dozen studios pumping out games, it's ridiculous. Maybe at the very least this will allow wine developers to better translate DirectX 9+ features to OpenGL.

About DirectX 9 for Rage.. Do you think that's just a minimum requirement, sort of in the way that Crysis can run on 9 but also make use of 10? I mean, DirectX 9 is like 8 years old isn't it? I'm perfectly happy playing DirectX 9 games, but this is a brand new engine... :S There's nothing on Wikipedia about DirectX for Rage, so I don't know much about that.

nekrosoft13
03-12-10, 12:37 AM
i really wish OpenGL would make a comeback

logan
03-12-10, 12:59 AM
Even if OpenGL doesn't return to it's original dominance, competition is always good, so there's probably something worthwhile that will come of it.

Noobfryer
03-12-10, 12:59 AM
I've always thought of myself as more of an OpenGL person because of my longtime use of Linux, but I don't think it'll ever get back to the days when OpenGL and DirectX were competitive.. It's just too late. It's like id Software sitting on Quake 3 for way too long and Epic flew right past them with UE. Tech 4 has like 4 or 5 games and UE3 has more than a dozen studios pumping out games, it's ridiculous. Maybe at the very least this will allow wine developers to better translate DirectX 9+ features to OpenGL.

About DirectX 9 for Rage.. Do you think that's just a minimum requirement, sort of in the way that Crysis can run on 9 but also make use of 10? I mean, DirectX 9 is like 8 years old isn't it? I'm perfectly happy playing DirectX 9 games, but this is a brand new engine... :S There's nothing on Wikipedia about DirectX for Rage, so I don't know much about that.

Well back in 07 Carmack said he wasn't interested in DX10. Now DX11 I havent heard any comments about. I dont know why you would want to use DX9. I mean I know its a multiplatform engine but devolpers that are building from the ground up with DX10, or DX10 as a base at least, find it to be closer to console spec and at the very least simplify things.

General Lee
03-12-10, 07:00 AM

This here. I remember when I started gaming on the PC...OpenGL was a godsend for my Voodoo 5 5500. :D

I love me some OpenGL, always liked the way stuff looked with it for some reason. :)

Toss3
03-12-10, 07:56 AM

^This - would be nice to see pc gaming stretch beyond the scope of just one OS. With the popularity of the xbox360 though I still don't see it happening anytime soon. :(

K007
03-12-10, 08:07 AM
Doesn't matter how awesome it looks....If it can't be done on the consoles properly, it wont see much use. I am guessing some hardware upgrade might come into play...and these stone age boxes are still getting milked...

Banko
03-12-10, 10:21 AM
Doesn't matter how awesome it looks....If it can't be done on the consoles properly, it wont see much use. I am guessing some hardware upgrade might come into play...and these stone age boxes are still getting milked...
The PS3 uses OpenGL.

|MaguS|
03-12-10, 10:49 AM
The PS3 uses OpenGL.

So does the Wii. Actually most 3D consoles in the past also used OpenGL, only the Xbox I believe used DirectX.

OpenGL wont catch up ever because DirectX has become the standard for the middleware and most engines. Im sure we will see ID go DirectX also now that ZeniMax bought them who aren't fans of OpenGL.

Kaguya
03-12-10, 10:55 AM
So does the Wii. Actually most 3D consoles in the past also used OpenGL, only the Xbox I believe used DirectX.

OpenGL wont catch up ever because DirectX has become the standard for the middleware and most engines. Im sure we will see ID go DirectX also now that ZeniMax bought them who aren't fans of OpenGL.

Yeah, it's a tough sell... DirectX gives you the ability to write for a top selling console and the PC almost simultaneously. While I guess the same is true for OpenGL and PS3/PC, I'm not sure if they can be as easily cross-written?

Just out of curiosity though, there's no licensing fees with DirectX or OpenGL? If not, the only other way that I think OpenGL would be a really cool option would be if a) It would work on current DX10 hardware (which was confirmed it cannot), or if b) It can work on XP (which I'm not sure). It's still good news, just don't think it'll change the gaming industry frontier.

Banko
03-12-10, 05:02 PM

I don't think they aren't fans of OpenGL they were always using the Gamebryo engine which is just based on DirectX, the GameBryo engine is horrible too and I hope that new Bethesda/Zenimax games actually use ID Tech 5 instead.

jlippo
03-14-10, 04:41 PM
The PS3 uses OpenGL.
But, most games on it don't. ;)
I don't think they aren't fans of OpenGL they were always using the Gamebryo engine which is just based on DirectX, the GameBryo engine is horrible too and I hope that new Bethesda/Zenimax games actually use ID Tech 5 instead.
Game size of Oblivion using megatexturing should be quite demanding on storage capacity.
Altough it would look incredible, even without pre-calculated GI seen in Rage.