PDA

View Full Version : New keyboard and mouse!

Toss3
03-12-10, 07:46 AM
Ok, so I got tired of the ugliness of my Logitech g15 and G9x, so I ordered a new keyboard and mouse!

Wanted to go with Razer as Logitech seems to have misplaced their designers, so I ended up ordering a Razes Lycosa and a Razer Lachesis. While these also wouldn't win in any beauty contests, they're far better looking than any of Logitech's offerings.
Why is it that no company understands that gaming-peripherals don't need to look like space ships in order to be good? Honestly if the Apple keyboard was backlit I'd be over it in a heartbeat.

Got the keyboard today and am really liking the glossy finish! It's also much better suited for typing than my old g15 and I love the fact that only the wasd-keys light up when I launch a game. Gaming-wise there wasn't really any other notable difference.
It's a lot smaller than the logitech, which is great for those of us who sometimes use a wacom-pad along with the keyboard.
The media keys in the upper right corner are touch-sensitive, but don't give you any tactile feedback so I would have preferred having regular buttons to press instead.
The thing that I really liked was that it had one extra usb 2.0 port whereas my old g25 only had USB 1.0 ports. There's also a mic and headphone out.

So all in all I'd give it an 8/10 as it lacks macro-keys and could have looked even better.

Gonna write a little review of the lachesis when it gets here and compare it to the g9x and MX518. :)

Pic of the keyboard and mouse in question:

http://twisted-reviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/razer-lycosa-top.jpg

http://www.creativecomputing.net/catalog/images/Razer%20Lachesis%201.jpg

DiscipleDOC
03-12-10, 08:54 AM
Nice! :thumbsup:

Toss3
03-12-10, 09:14 AM
Nice! :thumbsup:

Prepare to be pwned in BFBC2.. :bleh: My KDR with the new keyboard is a lot better for some reason. :D Maybe it's because I type faster with it and don't get killed while doing just that. ;)

methimpikehoses
03-12-10, 09:43 AM
The only thing I don't like about that keyboard is that the keys aren't bright enough.

Toss3
03-12-10, 09:54 AM
The only thing I don't like about that keyboard is that the keys aren't bright enough.

They are brighter than my old g15 though(even at full brightness), but you have to have the backlight on all the time due to the characters on the keys not being visible in daylight. Also the special chars are visible which they weren't on the g15.

Shikami
03-12-10, 02:49 PM
Does the elevated plane (wrist plane) detach? I have been thinking about getting this.

Edit: Looks like you can unscrew it.

Toss3
03-12-10, 07:33 PM
Does the elevated plane (wrist plane) detach? I have been thinking about getting this.

Edit: Looks like you can unscrew it.

Yup it's detachable.

Aphot
03-12-10, 07:57 PM
I bought the Deathadder, then I decided to get the Lycosa to match my mouse. :P

Lycosa drivers caused a BSOD so they suck (windows 7, 64bit), but without the drivers the keyboard works like a dream.

crainger
03-12-10, 09:40 PM
Razer have never had good drivers. ::(:

Toss3
03-13-10, 08:11 AM
Razer have never had good drivers. ::(:

Guess I won't be installing them then. :)

Aphot
03-13-10, 05:44 PM
My mouse drivers work really well.

Drolfrawd
03-13-10, 06:09 PM

Not being bright enough is something you should undertand hoez :p

crainger
03-13-10, 07:04 PM
No personal attacks. You gheyy morans.

Toss3
03-16-10, 10:46 AM
Small update: Crainger was right - the Razer drivers are horrible; have had nothing but problems with them. Some of the keys on the keyboard just stop working and the media-keys don't function at all. Alt-tabbing also doesn't work in some games. Fixed all of these issues by uninstalling the drivers.

Also I got the Lachesis today and boy is it uncomfortable! :D It's even worse than the G9x and in a different league than the MX518. Think I'm gonna have to get used to it though as I already sold the g9x and gave the MX518 to a friend.
It does look good though and I don't need to use any pads for it. I also like the scroll wheel and side buttons more than on the logitechs. Due to the small size of the mouse it's also easier to be precise(as you can keep your palm on the mousepad while you move it around).
So if you're in the market for a new mouse and keyboard I wouldn't really recommend getting razers as the drivers suck at the moment. I also wouldn't recommend getting the Lachesis unless you have small hands.

Logical
03-16-10, 12:28 PM
Not a lover of Razor products...The mice have cameltoes and the keyboards are flat with sometimes rubber keys, drivers are a pain and most of the time the specs razor claim for there mice are BS.

My next keyboard...

http://www.pclaunches.com/entry_images/1009/15/logitech_g110-gaming-keyboard1.jpg

and my next mouse..

http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=21158