PDA

View Full Version : CPU is overheating...I think

billmaudio
03-12-10, 11:12 PM
Hey guys,

Hopefully you can help me out. So I just bought a q9550, a new graphics card and some memory. I install everything. things are working great. On a whim while playing a game I decide to check my CPU temp. and it reads 80c! I'm like wow! So i exit out of the game and right away the temp drops down to about 35c. Load up a game ( any game ) and within a few minutes it jumps back up. I think the heat sink is dead, so I go out and buy a new one. Install it. and I get the same problem, I even saw temps reach 100c!!!

But as soon as i exit the game they drop right back down again. Does this make sense to anyone? Am I getting faulty readings? ( I am using core temp and speedfan ) I am showing a VID of 1.3000v which might be too high, but I can't figure out how to change that on my mobo.

I get no performance issues at all, even when it reads 100c. I assume there has to be some kind of issue with the sensor. Even when I first turn on my PC the temp reads 67c, before it does the mem check!

Any thoughts? Is the CPU fried? My case gets great ventilation BTW, 3 120fans and 1 240fan. I really want this CPU so I hope it's just a crappy sensor and I have nothing to worry about....but I have no idea how to test that! haha

EDIT: my mobo is: Biostar TP35D2-A7. I updated the bios because I had to to use the 45nm CPU.

CaptNKILL
03-12-10, 11:30 PM
My guess would be a misread temps. 67C immediately at startup seems pretty unlikely.

Even an old Athlon XP palamino with the stock cooler took a few minutes to hit 60C, and those things were horrible.

logan
03-13-10, 12:58 AM
Maybe there's no thermal paste between the CPU and the cooler or the paper was never removed from the preapplication of thermal paste? I think the maximum operational temps for many of the Core 2 Duo/Quad processors is around 90c, so I wouldn't run with it like that unless you can find a way to verify the actual cpu temps if it's just a sensor issue or something. Are the idle temperatures different in the bios?

I've never seen my e8400 above 63c.

billmaudio
03-13-10, 07:37 AM
I have thermal paste, and the plastic was removed. Like I said the volatage that is being reported to the CPU is 1.3000, I thought it needed to be 1.12, but there is no way for me to change this.

I'm starting to think that either 1) my mobo is messed up or 2) even though it says it can handle core 2 quad, the q9550 is too much for it. It's an older board that they don't even sell anymore, and like I said I needed to update the bios to use the 45nm processor

logan
03-13-10, 11:15 AM
I'm not that familiar with overclocking, but I've seen others running their Core 2s at 1.3. I thought the upper limit you wanted to avoid was like 1.365v or something. I'm pretty sure both Asus and MSI had to do BIOS updates for many of their boards to support 45nm processors, so you may not want to put too much on that.. I googled quick (http://www.google.com/search?q=iostar%20TP35D2-A7%20q9550) and found at least one person in a thread on anand (http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2041762) that says he's using your board and a q9550. It looks like he's even running it overclocked at 3.4GHz. It's a recent post, maybe you could ask him about the problems you're experiencing.

Could there be a setting in the BIOS, some type of automatic CPU management thing, that's enabled and keeping you from adjusting some of these settings? Maybe there's a jumper on the board. Why are Biostar's manuals .exe files? :S

billmaudio
03-13-10, 12:52 PM
So I got a new mobo at the advice of a friend. Still having heat issues. The vcore is still at 1.3volts and according to the bios it's just using the "intel spec". I turned that down manually to 1.12, and did notice the temp start to go down. I turned off the PC and I am gonna let it cool for a while and see if it can maintain good temps.

So I have tried a few heat sinks, and replaced the mobo. Any other thoughts? Is it possible the CPU is a bust and I need to RMA it? I have a 550w power supply and a GTX260 which is rated for 525w. is it possible I don't have enough juice to my system?

Thanks for the help guys

current system specs

q9550 2.83 core 2 quad
gigabyte ATX mobo ( ga-ep45-ud3lr )
4 gigs DDR2 1066 ram
BFG GeForce GTX260
550w PSU

EDIT: I should also mention that I am not trying to overclock, I just want to run at the normal speeds and temps

XDanger
03-13-10, 01:24 PM
1.12v is for idle, about 1.19v for load I think.

somehow dump your bios settings here for perusal

billmaudio
03-13-10, 02:01 PM
1.12v is for idle, about 1.19v for load I think.

somehow dump your bios settings here for perusal

I will see what I can do.

After letting the system cool, i turned it back on with the volt set at 1.12. It idled at about 33-35. i went into L4D2 and it never hit 70, it got close ( 69 ) but never 70. When you average out the temps of each core it was 65c. As soon as I exited the game, the temps dropped rapidly, and got back to around 35 again after a few minutes. So this makes me happier, but I am still worred that almost hitting 70 with 1 core is still way to hot. I might just throw my core 2 duo back in ( crappy 800mhz FSB booooooo )

i will see what i can do to get you my bios information.

B0ne
03-13-10, 04:37 PM
Open the side of the case and feel how hot the heatsink is when playing a game, see if its hot enough to be painful.

Ofc avoid touching any electronic components at all costs.

CaptNKILL
03-13-10, 05:30 PM
I ran my core 2 duo at 1.5v for 2 years. :o

billmaudio
03-13-10, 07:20 PM
Ok so here is some updated info ( and I really appreciate the help guys ). Just played some BC2. According to core temp. While playing, I hit 100c!!!!!! That just seems crazy!! I touched the heat sink and it was hot, but def. not painful hot. I was able to leave my hand on it for awhile, and it never was so hot that I had to take it off.

The air blowing out of the case is "cold" i mean literally it blows on my legs and it's cold haha.

Is it possible that my CPU is registering the wrong temp? I would think at 100c, I could feel some really hot air, or get some performance issues, or the heatsink would be too hot too touch.

Again I am not over clocking, just keeping it at stock speeds.

EDIT: i should also mention that I have the bios set to give me a warning when the temp reaches 80c. And it hasn't yet. again making me think the cpu is lying.

CaptNKILL
03-14-10, 01:45 AM
Couple of things worth noting:

If the CPU isn't contacting the heatsink properly the heatsink will not be as hot as the CPU, so checking the heatsink isn't always a fool proof way to test your CPU temperature.

And if your motherboard doesn't have a built in speaker and you don't have one connected, its likely that you won't receive any kind of temperature warnings. I would think that the warnings would use the same temperature readings as the BIOS, so there isn't any reason that a 100C reading in the BIOS wouldn't set off the 80C warning.

If I were you, I'd take all of your essential components out of your case and set them up on a hard desk or table. Test your CPU temp and press on the heatsink while testing. If this drops your temps, then something is physically not sitting properly. The mounting mechanism for modern CPUs is relatively easy to use but there are quite a few things that could go wrong if anything is defective or has an imperfection.

billmaudio
03-14-10, 08:02 AM
Couple of things worth noting:

If the CPU isn't contacting the heatsink properly the heatsink will not be as hot as the CPU, so checking the heatsink isn't always a fool proof way to test your CPU temperature.

And if your motherboard doesn't have a built in speaker and you don't have one connected, its likely that you won't receive any kind of temperature warnings. I would think that the warnings would use the same temperature readings as the BIOS, so there isn't any reason that a 100C reading in the BIOS wouldn't set off the 80C warning.

If I were you, I'd take all of your essential components out of your case and set them up on a hard desk or table. Test your CPU temp and press on the heatsink while testing. If this drops your temps, then something is physically not sitting properly. The mounting mechanism for modern CPUs is relatively easy to use but there are quite a few things that could go wrong if anything is defective or has an imperfection.

I am 100% certain that the heatsink is sitting correctly and that contact is being made. i've taken it off and put it back on a bunch of times. I took out the q9550 and put my core 2 duo back in. It idles at about 29c, and doesn't get any hotter then 50c under load.

XDanger
03-14-10, 08:40 AM
Is the temp reading in bios the same as in the OS?

billmaudio
03-14-10, 08:59 AM
Is the temp reading in bios the same as in the OS?

not really sure how to tell. by the time I exit to bios the temp of the cpu would have been cooled anyway, esp. at the rate that it drops when I finish playing the game. Is there a program I can run from the OS that reads the bios temp?

though most of this is kid of moot at this point. I've already submitted the RMA. My core 2 duo, runs extremly cool, i'm hoping the new quad I get back runs fine.

Like I said at 100c, I never felt any heat coming from the case at all, not around the processor or anything. i am 100% sure the heatsink is installed correctly, since it's keeping my core 2 duo at amazing temps.

CaptNKILL
03-14-10, 12:04 PM
Maybe the heat spreader on the CPU (metal part that covers the die) wasn't properly installed in the factory.

Still seems strange that you wouldn't have any stability problems with those temperatures though.

Drolfrawd
03-14-10, 12:20 PM
I have on of those chips Q9550 , it runs way cooler than yours, underload ,like playing dead space temps get to around 47 - 48 mine has stock cooler still and original thermal paste. Overclocked to 3.1ghz

Hope you get yours sorted out as otherwise it's a great CPU

CaptNKILL
03-14-10, 12:46 PM
Yeah, mine tops out in the mid to lower 50s at 4Ghz with a decent amount of extra voltage. Its a very cool running chip considering how much power it has.

Shikami
03-14-10, 02:53 PM
Just my little thought: Most installs that I see do not have the feet of the HSF pushed all the way in. Sometimes, the click is not enough and it has to be pushed in with more force. The feet should come out fully and spread to lock in with the insert in the center to cause this.

Go here: http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-x48t-dq6_e.pdf

And look at page 15, step 5. Note how the insert of the push pin is even with the feet. On some installs I barely see it poking out. Some are more difficult and require a bit more pressure. Personally, I think the processor should be installed first, not how it is not normally instructed. This way it can be seen to be installed correctly and the pressure does not bend the motherboard.

Drolfrawd
03-14-10, 03:14 PM
Just my little thought: Most installs that I see do not have the feet of the HSF pushed all the way in. Sometimes, the click is not enough and it has to be pushed in with more force. The feet should come out fully and spread to lock in with the insert in the center to cause this.

Go here: http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-x48t-dq6_e.pdf

And look at page 15, step 5. Note how the insert of the push pin is even with the feet. On some installs I barely see it poking out. Some are more difficult and require a bit more pressure. Personally, I think the processor should be installed first, not how it is not normally instructed. this way it can be seen to be installed correctly and if not the pressure does not bend the motherboard.

+1 this is very true and have had to release the feet and reinsert on more than one occasion

XDanger
03-14-10, 03:32 PM
Push pins are "Evil"

billmaudio
03-14-10, 03:57 PM
push pins are indeed evil, I bought a screw in HSF to help out.

On a whim i bought a new PSU, went up to 700w. Someone made the suggestion that maybe not enough juice to power the fans. No dice though, still the same problem. Underload it goes up to about 100c according to core temp. As soon as I close the application, the temps start to drop and they drop really really fast, within in a minute it's back down to about 45c, and then eventually back down to 30c. Which makes me think the heat sink is working. It's just underload when it shoots up.

Since I am getting no performance hits at all ( i can play BC2 and fps will sometimes hit 100+ ) I have to go with the assumption that it is a dead cpu......bummer.

Lyme
03-14-10, 08:51 PM
It is a dead cpu, likely a broken heat spreader. While they will withstand hitting 100c for short periods, they are not made to live there.

I think Intel warranties their cpu's for 3-5 years.

Shikami
03-15-10, 07:08 AM
On a whim i bought a new PSU, went up to 700w. Someone made the suggestion that maybe not enough juice to power the fans

There is some truth to this but not because of the fans. The processors requires a particular spec to power. It can cause an increase in processor temperature, but not much.

People never read this, for example, before they buy a PSU, or they think the one they have is compliant: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei7/sb/CS-030866.htm#powersupply

billmaudio
03-19-10, 05:10 AM
so I got my RMA'd CPU back. And, everything is running great! The chip idles at about 30-31, and never got hotter then 58c when playing Bad Company 2 for over an hour with all settings set to high.

Thanks for the help guys!!