PDA

View Full Version : Many Pros/Cons, Mucho Confusion!

Abraxus#
03-14-10, 06:58 AM
So, i'm looking to blow some cash on doing a major upgrade to my pc and i've come up with three options, all for similar money but with various pros and cons. I'll be installing W7 64bit with 1 and 2, but don't want to if I can help it. Also I wont be OC'ing and all other parts will remain the same as sig', I think my 650W psu should be ok for all options:

1 - New CPU, MOBO, RAM, SLI (700)
i7 920
Asus P6T
6GB Corsair XMS3 Classic 1333
AC Freezer 7 pro v2
Another GTX260 216 for SLI

Pros: Should fix weird issues I get with my rather old current mobo/XP. SLI should give decent increasing in performance for not too much money. Potential for further upgrades with S1366. Plenty of RAM. Easy to fit new CPU and cooler (no cleaning/re-applying of thermal paste).
Cons: Expensive. Will be putting it in my crappy old dusty case. New cpu not much of a performance upgrade. Possible issues with SLI.

2 - New MOBO, case, SLI (650)
Asus striker II extreme
4GB Corsair XMS3 Classic 1333
Silverstone Fortress FT-02B
Another GTX260 216 for SLI

Pros: Cheaper. Should fix weird issues I get with my rather old current mobo/XP. New, really good case to replace my old, dusty, cramped one. Top class MOBO. SLI performance increase.
Cons: Slightly trickier installation of current CPU/cooling. More complex and expensive for future upgrades. No more RAM that at the moment. Mobo seems to have plenty of issues based on reading various forums. Possible SLI issues

3 - 5970 (585)

Pros: Cheapest. Easy. Best performance increase.
Cons: May not work with current mobo (GTX280 didn't). May need new PSU. Everthing else stays the same, bad case, old mobo, no W7 upgrade (or DX11).

Any advice would be appreciated.:D

edit: Come on guys, 44 views and no replies? Uninformed opinions are welcome too!

Lyme
03-14-10, 08:58 PM
I'll be installing W7 64bit with 1 and 2, but don't want to if I can help it.

If you don't install W7 (or vista 64bit) 64bit then install linux, because xp just doesn't handle multi-core cpus with any decency.

Your current MB doesn't support crossfire nor sli, so if you want either of those you'll have to upgrade. Your ram should be fine even though the newer cpus support higher frequency ram.

Option 3 while the cheapest, likely will end the same as with the nVidia video card. Also your cpu will be limiting the gpu performance.

You may want to do a comparison build of the equivalent AMD system, just so you know your options even if you are dead set against it.

Bearclaw
03-14-10, 11:11 PM
If you're going to upgrade, get he 920. :thumbsup: Hell of a CPU and that new system in option 1 will rock. Who cares about the dusty case. Just wash it out often. :)

nekrosoft13
03-14-10, 11:17 PM
hmm, I would go CPU, MOBO and Ram upgrade, don't do anything with video card yet.

wait for fermi, then compare.

Aphot
03-14-10, 11:32 PM
hmm, I would go CPU, MOBO and Ram upgrade, don't do anything with video card yet.

wait for fermi, then compare.

Yep, not worth getting another 260 at this point.

Abraxus#
03-15-10, 05:20 AM
Seems like a consensus on number 1. Thanks guys.

I was going to go for SLI because Fermi isn't looking so great at the moment and is bound to be ridiculously expensive. For 150 I can get another 260 that should increase performance by 50-100%, is that about right? Or does SLI not work that well?

I'm going to see if I can scrape some more money together to get a case too, maybe this one:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/LianLi-PC-P50B-Armoursuit-Black-Aluminum-Mid-Tower-Gaming-Case-W-O-PSU

My case is a bit crap, plus if I get another one I can build two complete pcs.

nekrosoft13
03-15-10, 11:08 AM
thats a nice case, and I got my first Lian-Li last december and I will probably never buy a case from another company again.

But if i was you, i would look for a version where you can re position the HDD rack sideways.

Abraxus#
03-15-10, 11:20 AM
thats a nice case, and I got my first Lian-Li last december and I will probably never buy a case from another company again.

But if i was you, i would look for a version where you can re position the HDD rack sideways.

Wouldn't that compromise the cooling a bit though? I wont be moving hard drives in and out of it, other than initially, so what would be the benefit?

nekrosoft13
03-15-10, 11:25 AM
having the hdd sideways will cut the ammount of room they use in case, plus you won't have cables sticking out into motherboard chamber. And no it doesn't compromise cooling since air only travels shorter distance across the HDD, and in larger volume

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6693/img1344e.jpg

Abraxus#
03-15-10, 05:05 PM
That looks pretty good, thanks for explaining.

XDanger
03-15-10, 05:33 PM
I bought a 26gbp case from ebuyer recently and sold my older parts in it

Frickin awesome for the money.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172779
140mm fan grill at the top
water cooling hole things
black interior
cable management holes
hole at the back of the cpu
mesh filtered bay panels

sideways hdd mounting tool free drive bays

Put your old stuff in one of these and sell it.

ViN86
03-15-10, 06:13 PM
Wouldn't that compromise the cooling a bit though? I wont be moving hard drives in and out of it, other than initially, so what would be the benefit?

Cooling is better the way nekro showed. You can actually prove that lol.

bob saget
03-15-10, 06:36 PM
get the first option.

Abraxus#
03-16-10, 07:06 AM
Oh dear... i'm hesitating a bit on no.1 because it's a ****load of money and I will effectively get no performance increase (based on Tom's Hardware comparison) from the CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade. And of course I didn't consider that it wont do DX11, which is another con. I also really don't want to go to W7 so I think i'm going to get the 5970. 2x performance here I come!

Thanks for the advice though:)