PDA

View Full Version : who makes the best optical drives?

josiahsuarez
03-15-10, 07:56 PM
my Sony DVD writer stopped burning discs, it's just a reader now :(

so when I replace it, who makes the best writers?

bob saget
03-15-10, 08:51 PM
necrosoft recommended me a samsung, i got it, and has worked flawlessly.

frenchy2k1
03-16-10, 12:55 PM
Plextor used to make the best optical drives (designed in-house).
They are now contracting outside for design, but they still come with the best support and warranty. Highest price too...

See it this way: you can either buy the cheapest optical drive you can find (~$20 for a DVDRW) and change every 2-3 years (Samsung, Liteon or Sony work fine for that) or buy a Plextor for 4x the price and keep it 10+ years. The first way let you upgrade every 2 years to the newer format, at the cost of dirtying your hands...

Logical
03-16-10, 01:05 PM
I have used LG optical drives for the past 6 years...never had one fail on me yet. The quality and performance of them is very good and operate quite silently.

nekrosoft13
03-16-10, 01:22 PM
Plextor used to make the best optical drives (designed in-house).
They are now contracting outside for design, but they still come with the best support and warranty. Highest price too...

that is false, new plextor drives are not "contracted" to be designed by other companies, they simply use identical design with slightly different firmware and charge 3 times much for the same excact drive. basically highway robbery.

there is no such thing as good brand for optical drives, its all mixed up now.

For example Pioneers are usually good, except the latest "18" series.

For example lite-on really made a mess of thier drives, they are selling two totally different drives under same names, some with mediatek chips, some with nec chips, drives have same model number, yet different features set, there is no mention of nec drives on their website and you never know what you might get when you order online

LG, if you get drive with Remeases (spelling?) chip, it should be fine, if you get with Panasonic chip you will have issues. or biggest LG screw up, DVD burner with firmware embended burning software that keeps getting in the way. some AV detected it as a virus.

etc....

this is from 2008, but you can still get an idea
http://club.myce.com/f61/top-5-optical-drives-2008-cd-freaks-members-choice-249785/

Maverick123w
03-16-10, 03:09 PM
I use a samsung currently for no other reason that it was cheap, and it's been fine. Before that I had a sony that died after 3 years. We use Lite-On here at the shop and haven't heard from any customers complaining about them.

betterdan
03-16-10, 04:45 PM
My BenQ drive has been with me for 3 or 4 years and has never given me problems. At home I rarely ever have problems with optical drives but at work they go out like crazy on the Gateways and Dells.

ViN86
03-16-10, 05:05 PM
I have a Pioneer from 3 years ago that has been working great for me.

/me knocks on wood

Drolfrawd
03-16-10, 05:27 PM
Optical drives are all screwed up now. No particular brand really stands out from the rest. Just get a cheap one, and replace it when it dies.

Lyme
03-21-10, 07:46 PM
Buy a cheap SATA optical drive, when it goes.. who cares.