PDA

View Full Version : Best AMD kit to buy?

Hanners
07-16-03, 06:55 AM
I've recently been toying with the idea of building up an AMD-based system to compliment the Intel rig I've got in my sig.

Seeing as I've always gone with Intel in the past, I could do with some recommendations of what I should go for in the processor/motherboard/RAM department.

The more bang for the buck the parts are the better, I don't want to set myself a budget but I have no intention of spending vast quantities on this, it's really just something to mess around with.

So, any thoughts, ideas, questions to help me decide what to get will be much appreciated. :) Thanks in advance guys.

The Baron
07-16-03, 08:17 AM
Well, Barton 2500+. Turning it into a 3200+ is Ez Cheezy, and for $90, how can you go wrong? Need a big HSF (see sig for that one :p ), but there are plenty of others that should work fine (just not run as quietly).

Mobo? Abit NF7-S 2.0. Can't think of a really convincing reason to use a A7N8X Deluxe nowadays.

RAM? I've had no problems with my Corsair PC3200LL, although I have to run it at 2-3-2-6 (trying 2-2-2-6 results in sound distortion). Anything that runs at 400Mhz and has low latencies should be just fine and dandy, though.

ragejg
07-16-03, 08:33 AM
I gotta do a plug for some value packed ram here: samsung PC2700 tcb3 stepping... does 200fsb easy in various systems, and doesn't really get too hot! I know, Hanners, yer prolly gonna get real hi-quality ram, but just so you know, if you gotta go below top o the line on ram, the stick i mentioned will do a great job...

Rytr
07-17-03, 02:46 AM
I have been having a good experience with the Soltek NF2 boards, SL-75 FRN-L and FRN2-L. Soltek also offers a Raid version FRN2-LR and a new single channel Model SL-NV400-L64 which really shows promise for $76.

TwinMos ram either PC3200 with Winbond CH-5 chips or PC3700 with TwinMos 4.3 chips does well with most NF2 boards. PC3200 with BH-5 is good performance ram if you can find it...just replaced in production by the CH-5 chips.

Gator
07-17-03, 03:11 PM
another vote for the Barton 2500, it's by far the best deal going! Combine that with a good NForce2 board and you're all set ;)

Hanners
07-18-03, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Gator
another vote for the Barton 2500, it's by far the best deal going! Combine that with a good NForce2 board and you're all set ;)

Yep, I've definitely settled on that CPU, and maybe an NF7-S nForce2 motherboard (Unless there's any reason not to go for that).

My only remaining problem now is RAM, getting decent memory here in the UK seems to be somewhat tricky, most of the good stuff people have mentioned to me on forums don't seem to be available over here. :(

B&R
07-18-03, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Hanners
My only remaining problem now is RAM, getting decent memory here in the UK seems to be somewhat tricky, most of the good stuff people have mentioned to me on forums don't seem to be available over here. :(

PC2700 or higher would be enough. Kingmax, OCZ, Crucial or Corsair .. any of those are good but i suggest OCZ dual channel kit.