PDA

View Full Version : Random restarts

Arto*
03-18-10, 06:54 PM
Just put together a new rig 2 days ago, experiencing some random restarts. So far it has happened twice already, im not really sure what is causing the problem and hope it doesnt lead to anything serious. please help!!!

logan
03-19-10, 10:50 AM
Have you been keeping an eye on your temperatures (cpu, gpu, motherboard)? Also, if you haven't already, you should run memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/) for a few hours or overnight. Sometimes it'll find errors right away, other times it can take a few passes.

Imbroglio
03-19-10, 11:32 AM
agreed.

first step run memtest86 (if errors, bad ram/dimms)

next step, monitor voltages, if you get sudden spikes and pits (looking for extremes, > +/- 1 volt), you may want to replace PSU

next step, run prime95 with a temp monitoring system open (if reboots or high temps, cpu related)

do this with only the basics hooked up/in, psu, modo, cpu, ram, and primary hdd (also vid card if not onboard)

Revs
03-19-10, 11:41 AM
Also, check your logs in Event Viewer.

Arto*
03-19-10, 02:07 PM
I didnt get a chance to monitor my temperatures. I did however run memtest86 last night, it passed for the first test then I stopped it because it was getting late.. Im at work now, ill run the memtest again for another hour or so to check again then run prime95.

This only happens after I play Battlefield Bad Company 2, but not right away.. Last time it happened I wasnt even near the pc and just heard it reboot after playing bc2 roughly 30-40 min ago.

Arto*
03-20-10, 09:38 PM
After much research and random stress tests to cpu/ram I came across something that caught my attention. When I had looked at my system information, it said that I had 6 gigs of ram installed but only used up 2.59.. Now at the time I was running win7 32 bit, but later realized that if you have 6 gigs of ram then you NEED win7 64 bit. A noob move on my part hehe, but it seems as if reformating to x64 solved the rebooting issue.. hope it works fine now