PDA

View Full Version : Switzlerland Bans "Violent" Games

Pages : [1] 2

Bearclaw
03-22-10, 07:06 AM
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/38103/Switzerland-passes-violent-games-ban

Just a month after the proposals were first outlined in full, the Swiss National Council has now officially passed a law that will ultimately lead to the complete ban of any violent video games in the country.
GamesMarkt reports that the full implications of the ruling will not be known until the Government reveals the exact requirements that will be laid down by the new legislation – a decision that has not yet been made.
What is certain though is that the Swiss authorities have now obtained the power to introduce any measures they see fit.
The likeliest outcome seems to be an outright ban on the production, distribution and sale of any games deemed to be unsuitable – most likely anything with either a PEGI 16+ or PEGI 18+ certificate.
The original motion had called for the ban on any title that “requires cruel acts of violence against humans and humanlike creatures for in-game success”.

slaWter - How is it now over there and how much do you think this will affect you and gamers in general in switzerland? Someone on the site made a comment that it's easy just to cross the border and bring games back.

What's your take?

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-22-10, 07:32 AM
Apparently the swiss government have been stricken with some retard virus.

Well, that won't stop them from ordering games online ;)

Madpistol
03-22-10, 07:49 AM
May pirating become the norm in Switzerland.

I don't know why countries think they can control what media a person views. Doing this ensures that countless people circumvent the law simply because it's the norm already. In otherwords, you don't ban smoking when it's been a norm for years. People tend to get angry.

Bearclaw
03-22-10, 07:57 AM
@ MadPistol - Not sure on that. Not trying to start something but more-so just an observation...

While I agree with you completely on what you said, just going off of the smoking thing, most people are pretty complacent and comply with the smoking ban here in Chicago. Interesting.

Again, I agree though with the way people will circumvent the law. I suppose it just comes down to what you can get away with? Much easier to order a game online or pirate it rather than go smoke in an "illegal" place.

omzig
03-22-10, 08:35 AM
Wow that blows,but really how do you police such a thing in this day and age? unless its tied to something like Ubi's lastest DRM were you have tobe online to play i cant see how you can monitor what ppl are playing......what next violent literature?,which id say can be much more powerful on the mind that pixels on a screen (just look at what all those religious texts have done to the minds of the weak for a few thousand of years)

Not sure you can draw a parallel with a smoking ban though....passive smoking is a proven killer and a real danger to ppls health,im yet you hear of a case of a passive gamer going on a killing rampage ;)

Bearclaw
03-22-10, 08:43 AM
Wow that blows,but really how do you police such a thing in this day and age? unless its tied to something like Ubi's lastest DRM were you have tobe online to play i cant see how you can monitor what ppl are playing......what next violent literature?,which id say can be much more powerful on the mind that pixels on a screen (just look at what all those religious texts have done to the minds of the weak for a few thousand of years)

Not sure you can draw a parallel with a smoking ban though....passive smoking is a proven killer and a real danger to ppls health,im yet you hear of a case of a passive gamer going on a killing rampage ;)

No, I wasn't trying to draw a parallel exactly, just comment on peoples reaction to a ban of X. :)

But you bring up another interesting point - How DO they monitor said activity?

omzig
03-22-10, 09:17 AM
No, I wasn't trying to draw a parallel exactly, just comment on peoples reaction to a ban of X. :)

But you bring up another interesting point - How DO they monitor said activity?

Thinking about it if Ubisoft & others have there way im sure it would be very very easy,infact any game that wants internet access to allow you to play could be banned with a keystroke....

Just imagine this the swiss gorverment contact valve and say "dont allow access to Violent titles A thur Z from anyone with a swiss I.P. addy there all banned from playing them" if its passed as Law Valve will have to comply just as it does in blocking game sales in other regions with restrictions,so what do you do then break the cracks out allround or put up with lame mods like robots & sparks or zombies with green blood ;)

This kind of thing is Just one more reason ppl should'nt sleepwalk into the greatness they think is online DRM.......

Toss3
03-22-10, 09:29 AM
I wish we could ban idiotic politicians.. :(

Bearclaw
03-22-10, 10:14 AM

+1

Retrolock
03-22-10, 10:26 AM
I guess slawter will have to buy a wii now for his gaming pleasure

Bearclaw
03-22-10, 11:08 AM
:lol:

nekrosoft13
03-22-10, 12:22 PM
where is slawter btw? guess no more steam purchases

frenchy2k1
03-22-10, 12:42 PM
You can, it's called campaigning and voting...

NarcissistZero
03-22-10, 01:25 PM
@ MadPistol - Not sure on that. Not trying to start something but more-so just an observation...

While I agree with you completely on what you said, just going off of the smoking thing, most people are pretty complacent and comply with the smoking ban here in Chicago. Interesting.

Again, I agree though with the way people will circumvent the law. I suppose it just comes down to what you can get away with? Much easier to order a game online or pirate it rather than go smoke in an "illegal" place.

The government, at least in the US, has done a good job of slowly turning the water temperature up about how evil smoking is, resulting in the frog that is the population not even really noticing its near-ban until it was upon us and most minds were altered to accept it as a horrible, horrible act.

Every time I watch 80s movies I miss smoking, and I never even was a smoker.

NarcissistZero
03-22-10, 01:26 PM

Gaming is not good for your health either, neither is red meat, sugary drinks or couches for that matter.

Banning everything bad for you is ridiculous and leads to this kind of stupidity in Switzerland. Unless it harms someone else, which smoking at home or in designated structures like a bar does not, it should be left for people to decide what they want to do with themselves.

lightman
03-22-10, 02:32 PM
You can, it's called campaigning and voting...

Sure, provided there is at least one politician those views/ideas you can relate to. Not always the case (and I would say that here (.it) it's almost never the case)

NarcissistZero
03-22-10, 02:54 PM
Sure, provided there is at least one politician those views/ideas you can relate to. Not always the case (and I would say that here (.it) it's almost never the case)

There are more than 2 parties, more than 2 candidates... the simple fact is that there are tons of quality alternatives but people ignore them because they don't want to put the effort in to find out about them, support them, and drum up interest in them against a media who are bias to the two main parties.

omzig
03-22-10, 03:42 PM
Gaming is not good for your health either, neither is red meat, sugary drinks or couches for that matter.

Banning everything bad for you is ridiculous and leads to this kind of stupidity in Switzerland. Unless it harms someone else, which smoking at home or in designated structures like a bar does not, it should be left for people to decide what they want to do with themselves.

In the case of smoking its not about banning whats bad for YOU its about banning something that poeple do thats passively bad for the health of others who dont smoke

Sure if anyone wants to smoke at home (i dont think parents have the right to make there kids passivley smoke though if you have kids plz take that **** outside) or in places with other smokers thats cool they can poison each other all they like,smoking bans atleast here in england are restricted to public places and places that serve food and why not after all the right of smokers to damage there health should not supersed my right to protect my own health

Yep i agree Banning Violent games or anything for that matter to protect individuals is stupid let them make up there own minds,but banning things that passively effect the standard of living of others well thats not so stupid,after all you wouldnt un-ban the passive effects of getting behind the wheel of a car while your drunk of stoned off your face now would you?

NarcissistZero
03-22-10, 08:31 PM
In the case of smoking its not about banning whats bad for YOU its about banning something that poeple do thats passively bad for the health of others who dont smoke

Sure if anyone wants to smoke at home (i dont think parents have the right to make there kids passivley smoke though if you have kids plz take that **** outside) or in places with other smokers thats cool they can poison each other all they like,smoking bans atleast here in england are restricted to public places and places that serve food and why not after all the right of smokers to damage there health should not supersed my right to protect my own health

The owner of the building or restaurant should decide, not you or the government, if he wants smoking in HIS establishment or not. Don't want second-hand smoke? Eat somewhere else.

I am not a smoker and smoke bothers my eyes, but I would eat elsewhere, not ruin their relaxing meal.

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-22-10, 09:56 PM
Here in Ohio they banned smoking anywhere inside a public place, including bars. I quit smoking last October (switched to e-cigs) and haven't looked back. The nice thing about e-cigs is that you can still smoke them anywhere you want, even airports.

Although, can't help but laugh when I see a big crowds of people in front of bars freezing their asses off smoking.

skank
03-22-10, 11:06 PM
The owner of the building or restaurant should decide, not you or the government, if he wants smoking in HIS establishment or not. Don't want second-hand smoke? Eat somewhere else.

I am not a smoker and smoke bothers my eyes, but I would eat elsewhere, not ruin their relaxing meal.

Exactly. I used to smoke and even then I didn't like people smoking around me eating, this is why most restaurants in the UK had a sizeable no-smoking section. Now there is no smoking in any enclosed public space, this includes PRIVATELY owned bars and restaurants. An enclosed public space in the UK is any structure with 3 or more closed sides. That includes bus shelters. HA.

Bring back smoking, as said, if you don't like smoke, piss off elsewhere (para-phrased).

nekrosoft13
03-23-10, 01:56 AM
Here in Ohio they banned smoking anywhere inside a public place, including bars. I quit smoking last October (switched to e-cigs) and haven't looked back. The nice thing about e-cigs is that you can still smoke them anywhere you want, even airports.

Although, can't help but laugh when I see a big crowds of people in front of bars freezing their asses off smoking.

thats great, smoking should be banned everywhere in public, if you want to smoke do it in your house.

Bearclaw
03-23-10, 09:25 AM
thats great, smoking should be banned everywhere in public, if you want to smoke do it in your house.

I completely agree with this. Chicago is doing great on it though. They've banned smoking inside EVERYWHERE in the city. It's a start.

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-23-10, 09:30 AM
Smokers dont bother me

NarcissistZero
03-23-10, 03:00 PM
I completely agree with this. Chicago is doing great on it though. They've banned smoking inside EVERYWHERE in the city. It's a start.

Thank God a city stood up and took citizens' rights away, I was worried for a while there.

Dodged the freedom bullet!