PDA

View Full Version : I have seen the future....

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Razor1
03-24-10, 06:35 PM
DX11 has only been out a few months,and up until now,only 1 GPU maker had DX11 cards on the market,and DX11 is a unified standard,controled by none other than microsoft,so they have the final say if you want to play games on the windows platform,not anyone else.

Unified standards always get more support and a faster rate of adoption than proprietary standards ever will basically,no matter how much Nvidia complains about it,since it doesn't make their hardware any more special than that of competitors in the end,and they don't like that,if nothing else from a marketing standpoint.

It's also why ATI decided to support Eyefinity,since it has nothing to do with direct X,and doesn't even require any special attention from developers at all,both in current games already released,or any future game releases either,so it bypasses all the issues that Nvidia is facing by trying to push PhysX as much as it can,and enhances overall gameplay,like the examples i mentioned with battlefield bad company 2 and making me a better player...

when there is no really competition they can do what ever they want, it goes to show ya monopolies do work, do I agree with it, no, but when there is no real alternative, you are stuck, you should be telling AMD to get off its ass instead of this.

shadow001
03-24-10, 06:36 PM
:lol:

Rollo see what I mean with the arguments? I dislike his pro-ATi attitude as much as your pro-Nvidia one.

It's not so much being pro ATI,as stating the plain fact that Nvidia was horribly late with Fermi,and even they admit they were late too...But we'll see the official reviews in 2 days from now,so it's not long to wait anymore(finally;)).

shadow001
03-24-10, 06:45 PM
when there is no really competition they can do what ever they want, it goes to show ya monopolies do work, do I agree with it, no, but when there is no real alternative, you are stuck, you should be telling AMD to get off its ass instead of this.

I don't feel stuck to begin with,as the current games that use GPU physics,use them to relatively small degrees,that adds to the game that little extra sure,but it isn't a mind blowing difference that makes the game itself 2X better than using CPU based physics either....That's my point.

I view adding features in game like getting punched in the face or getting kicked in the balls...You'll know it happened within a couple of seconds,as it's quite obvious,and that's the impression i got when i started playing games with 3 displays....It sticks out like a sore thumb and enhanced the overall game in a big way.

So i'm hoping that there's an upcoming PhysX game supporting a much higher amount of GPU calculated physics compared to current games supporting it....Something so obvious that you notice it in seconds,not have to look around to notice smaller differences here and there.

Razor1
03-24-10, 06:51 PM
I don't feel stuck to begin with,as the current games that use GPU physics,use them to relatively small degrees,that adds to the game that little extra sure,but it isn't a mind blowing difference that makes the game itself 2X better than using CPU based physics either....That's my point.

I view adding features in game like getting punched in the face or getting kicked in the balls...You'll know it happened within a couple of seconds,as it's quite obvious,and that's the impression i got when i started playing games with 3 displays....It sticks out like a sore thumb and enhanced the overall game in a big way.

So i'm hoping that there's an upcoming PhysX game supporting a much higher amount of GPU calculated physics compared to current games supporting it....Something so obvious that you notice it in seconds,not have to look around to notice smaller differences here and there.

The people that want it, its not all about you man, I'm not focusing on a off party type thing, its the whole enchilada, if I was talking about you great, so you have to upgrade to a new graphics card to get 3 monitors, well nV can do it with the gt280 series too, anyone with SLi configs, there is always positives and negatives to a choice, who makes them its thier choice. But you personal preference is not everyones.

shadow001
03-24-10, 07:04 PM
The people that want it, its not all about you man, I'm not focusing on a off party type thing, its the whole enchilada, if I was talking about you great, so you have to upgrade to a new graphics card to get 3 monitors, well nV can do it with the gt280 series too, anyone with SLi configs, there is always positives and negatives to a choice, who makes them its thier choice. But you personal preference is not everyones.

Maybe i'm just jaded and much harder to impress,as for me,3D graphics in my home system started in 1997 when i bought a pair of Voodoo 2 cards in SLI,and have owned about 20 different video cards since then,heard a lot of marketing from 3Dfx,power VR,matrox,ATI,Nvidia,Intel,S3,and exactly how long a lot of the new technology actually took to find it's way into shipping games,and it was years in some cases.

So i'm pretty immune to the whole marketing angle,no matter who it comes from,and these last few years,take a "Show me first" attitude,and the show better be a good one basically,so i'm not speaking for everyone nor is it my intention too,but that's what it takes to convince me that something is worth having in my system.

What decided going for the HD5970 cards,apart from Eyefinity,was that Nvidia didn't show up to the fight in the first place,so it kinda narrowed down the decision making process too.

Razor1
03-24-10, 07:15 PM
well no compitition thank you for making my point ;)

I actually started off with a number nine 128 in 94 or 95, wasn't a 3d accelerator though. Didn't have them back then, also games weren't using them, it was a nice thing to play with programming wise though.

shadow001
03-24-10, 07:27 PM
well no compitition thank you for making my point ;)

I actually started off with a number nine 128 in 94 or 95, wasn't a 3d accelerator though. Didn't have them back then, also games weren't using them, it was a nice thing to play with programming wise though.

Brings back an old memory,as one of the first games that i played back then that could be 3D accelerated was Quake 2 in OpenGL,and the visual differences between software rendering and running with the voodoo 2 cards,even though it was only 1024*768 resolution in 16 bit color and bilinear filtered,was mind blowing to say the least.

It's those sort of experiences that i still remember even 13 years later.....Now we're debating between performance figures at 2560*1600 resolutions,32 bit colour,anisotropic filttering at 16X,high resolution textures,and using 8X antialising and DX9/DX10/DX11 modes(supporting far more features than in the early days),and deciding who rules and which one sucks as a video card for gaming....Go figure.;).

Feels like the largest gains for video cards in terms visual eyecandy are already behind us,and improvements overall are smaller to notice as time goes on....It's little things here and there that add up for the most part.

Muppet
03-25-10, 02:25 AM
Thank the Gods. Now we won't have to put up with someones dribble for a couple of weeks. At least no more Nvidia bashing, we can have the Fermi launch in relative peace. :)

XMAN52373
03-25-10, 03:06 AM
Thank the Gods. Now we won't have to put up with someones dribble for a couple of weeks. At least no more Nvidia bashing, we can have the Fermi launch in relative peace. :)

woulda been nice to see/know why he got banned. wonder if it was more Nvidia bashing.

(nana2):D

K007
03-25-10, 03:19 AM
nice

Viral
03-25-10, 03:37 AM
Wonder if either of them saw that coming in their crystal ball. Bout damn time.

MUYA
03-25-10, 05:08 AM
Maybe it was because warnings were ignored?

Revs
03-25-10, 06:49 AM
Yeah they both had PLENTY of warning. They just didn't seem to get the issue. Peace at last :D

Toss3
03-25-10, 07:00 AM
Yeah they both had PLENTY of warning. They just didn't seem to get the issue. Peace at last :D

*crickets*

Iruwen
03-25-10, 07:25 AM
Hm... gets boring :o

weevil
03-25-10, 07:49 AM
<tumbleweed> :)

On the other hand because of the banned posters I've heard about just what a gigantic frame-muncher ATI/AMD are running and I'm quite impressed

Makes no difference to me, they've got nothing to compare with Nvidia's gorgeous tesselating kit as far as I'm concerned, brand loyalty - is it so bad :)

This card looks like a British design, it's classy, it's Jaguar and Rolls-Royce. The other kit looks flimsy by comparison. I had a Crossfire setup while a couple of Ultras were on RMA (that too-optimistic clocks thing and the BFG recall) and was I ever glad to get back to SLI. 285 right now and gagging for a 480 :)

On the other hand, should I be waiting for the 480 version after this one, when clocks are bumped up in special editions and maybe even more cores are enabled. Usually :)

HYBRID
03-25-10, 08:18 AM
Wonder if either of them saw that coming in their crystal ball. Bout damn time.

hahah.....Agree it was getting old in the tooth.:captnkill:

Madpistol
03-25-10, 05:11 PM
Rollo got banned?

Thank the lord. His fanboyism was getting pretty long in tooth. :)

XDanger
03-25-10, 05:37 PM
I like computers and stuff but some people are just too into it, I couldn't give a damn about the pseudo politics people build up around this stuff.

kaptkarl
03-25-10, 06:23 PM
I like computers and stuff but some people are just too into it, I couldn't give a damn about the pseudo politics people build up around this stuff.

I so agree. ATI.....NVidia....whatever.....They both have excelent products and fast vid cards. To each his own on which one you buy. I own both myself. Long live pc gaming!!

Kapt

Madpistol
03-25-10, 07:37 PM
I so agree. ATI.....NVidia....whatever.....They both have excelent products and fast vid cards. To each his own on which one you buy. I own both myself. Long live pc gaming!!

Kapt

I'll drink to that. (lee)

The reason I joined this community because I bought an 8800 GTX.... the reason I'm still here is because this community caters to gamers, not just nvidia fans. :)

Xion X2
03-25-10, 07:37 PM
I have seen the future....

.. and it is one without Rollo and Shadow.

Iruwen
03-25-10, 07:45 PM
Bricks have been shat.

kaptkarl
03-25-10, 08:24 PM

now that's funny....:p

Kapt

HYBRID
03-26-10, 01:14 PM

qftt