PDA

View Full Version : GTX 470-480 official Release Day!! YAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

|MaguS|
03-26-10, 05:49 PM
11 mins!

lee63
03-26-10, 05:57 PM
Wheres the buy now button :headexplode:

|MaguS|
03-26-10, 05:59 PM
Anyone wana buy 2 GTX 260 216s??

Xion X2
03-26-10, 05:59 PM
Wheres the buy now button :headexplode:

So Lee, you're dumping your tri-fire for SLI'd 480s? Any particular reason why? Just into the new tech?

I think you'd have to stack 3 480s to be faster than what you have, and given the heat they seem to put out, it may be tough to do.

Sazar
03-26-10, 06:42 PM
I am in direct contact with Nvidia on a daily basis . . . .I am in the middle of a tour as a contracted Nvidia employee ;) Once NDA is lifted I have tons of FERMI info for you all.

For what it's worth DB, the cards are not anywhere as fast as you had been posturing :(

That being said, they do have good performance, especially in high-res areas in some games, while still yielding decent frame-rates.

Tessellation is an interesting story per some of the benchmarks. The AMD cards continue to be extremely competitive until max tessellation is turned on, in which case the Nvidia cards sneak ahead.

The 5970 remains the fastest card out there. The 5850 proves to be a better buy than the 470 (per H's review, it is a no contest once you factor in price/power ratio). The 480 is the intriguing prospect however :)

Yes, it draws a LOT of power and runs hot. But, it seems to be far enough ahead of the 5870 to be a real challenger.

The SLi power draw is ridiculous but the scaling is pretty decent.

I wonder if AMD will respond with a dual-5870 cross-fire card to counter.

Given the power-envelope, I am going to be very interested to see what Nvidia will bring to the table for a dual-chip solution. From the numbers, that card would be the top dog in the shed, given the performance of an sli'd 480 configuration.

I am still looking for a new dual 5970 v/s sli'd 480 comparo since the overall price delta isn't that huge.

-edit-

I finally managed to read AT's review and it paints a different picture. Maybe the cards aren't that bad. The 480 is still the card to own between the 2. The 470, not sure what to make of it since it is more expensive than the 5850, higher thermals and sound and performance is about the same.

|MaguS|
03-26-10, 06:43 PM
I am in direct contact with Nvidia on a daily basis . . . .I am in the middle of a tour as a contracted Nvidia employee ;) Once NDA is lifted I have tons of FERMI info for you all.

NDA is lifted isn't it? All the news about them is hitting the sites...

Madpistol
03-26-10, 07:28 PM
Reviews are everywhere now.

If the NDA isn't lifted, Nvidia is going to be mighty angry.

Muppet
03-26-10, 07:28 PM
Wouldn't evga have a 4 way nvidia mainbord solution, or am i just misunderstanding this topic.

Is is all to do with the drivers. As long as the motherboard has 4x16PCI-e slots you would be able to run it. All we need is Nvidia to enable it in there drivers and it will work.

Xion X2
03-26-10, 10:24 PM
I wonder if AMD will respond with a dual-5870 cross-fire card to counter.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but that's what the 5970 is. The GPUs in the 5970 and the 5870 are the same. They're simply clocked down in 5970 to slide in under PCI-e power requirements. Doing this allows the card to register at 296w which is its peak load.

PCI-e spec is 300w for a single card, so neither Nvidia nor ATI can exceed that. This proves a real problem for Nvidia since Fermi is so power-hungry in single GPU form. GTX470 seems to fall short of 5870 in most of the benches, yet it still consumes ~30w more than 5870. So even if they could stack two of these on a PCB (which they can't without really gimping the chip,) chances are it still wouldn't win out over 5970 which uses two 5870 GPUs.

Armed_Baboon
03-27-10, 07:48 AM
man my GTX295 was a great purchase.

Vardant
03-27-10, 07:54 AM
PCI-e spec is 300w for a single card, so neither Nvidia nor ATI can exceed that.
Sure they can. They are already doing that with SLI and CF ;)

Xion X2
03-27-10, 08:42 AM

On two cards. But you can't exceed 300w for a single graphics card and claim it to be PCI-e compliant. This is why 5970 has downclocked GPUs (it uses 5870 GPUs) so that it can slide in at 296w under load.

Heinz68
03-27-10, 08:44 AM
Sure they do. The limit is for PCI E slot. (single card)

Edit.
Just few seconds late (slow typing) and I almost never post on this NVIDIA cards forum. That's it back in the retirement, I hate wasted posting.

Vardant
03-27-10, 09:20 AM
What about Asus ROG Ares? Or Asus Mars? There should be others, but I can't remember. The point is, you can go over 300W, if you don't care about PCI-SIG compliance.

I don't really see the point. If you are going with CF or SLI and a company can deliver a product, that has the performance, that justifies it, why not do it. Also I think, they are or were going to change the limit anyway.

Xion X2
03-27-10, 12:11 PM
What about Asus ROG Ares? Or Asus Mars? There should be others, but I can't remember. The point is, you can go over 300W, if you don't care about PCI-SIG compliance.

Limited edition cards in rare quantity. This is different from a model that you want to be on shelves everywhere.

I don't know all the specifics, but apparently it's an obstacle, otherwise we would've seen cards exceed this power limit already. And ATI wouldn't have done what they did with 5970 by downclocking the 5870 GPUs to slide in under the 300w limit.