PDA

View Full Version : Finally joined the SSD club

newparad1gm
03-25-10, 07:55 PM
Just picked up an Intel X-25M G2 160GB Retail box with a bonus external USB enclosure from Newegg for $450. Anything I should know before installing the drive, and is updating the firmware difficult? Also, should I update the firmware before or after installing Windows on it? I also heard that there was a new firmware update to allow for TRIM if there is a RAID array of regular spindle drives on the same mobo, which wasn't allowed before. So hopefully I'll be able to keep my current 2x500GB RAID 0 array while using TRIM with the SSD.

Maverick123w
03-26-10, 01:34 AM
Update the firmware before you install windows. Also make sure you run it in ahci mode. I got much better results when I switched to that.

Welcome to the club!

newparad1gm
03-26-10, 09:03 AM
Does running it in RAID mode automatically use AHCI? I was looking at my BIOS settings for this, and I only have IDE/AHCI/RAID as my settings for my SATA ports. I want to be able to continue using my RAID array as my data drive when putting in my SSD.

Maverick123w
03-26-10, 09:15 AM
I was a good foot shorter the last time I set up a raid so I'll pass that one off to someone else with more recent experience.

Revs
03-26-10, 09:56 AM
Don't forget to disable;

Defragmenting
Indexing
Superfetch
Pagefile (or move it to another drive)

Grats :)

newparad1gm
03-26-10, 02:02 PM
Why turn off the pagefile? I thought one of the points of having an SSD was that you had an insanely fast page file on the SSD, so there's no more hard drive thrashing in the event that you do run out of memory and have to access virtual memory.

Revs
03-26-10, 02:03 PM
Why turn off the pagefile? I thought one of the points of having an SSD was that you had an insanely fast page file on the SSD, so there's no more hard drive thrashing in the event that you do run out of memory and have to access virtual memory.

SSD thrashing is a bad thing. Very bad. I've been running no pagefile since I upgraded to 6Gb of memory. Seems fine :).

I have Indexing enabled. IMO that's the best thing they've copied from OSX in the last couple of years :) But my index is on a HDD instead.

Good thinking. Might do that myself. I do miss it.

Revs
03-26-10, 02:50 PM
I'm still running without TRIM too. The drive is capable but I bought it before the fireware was ready. I need to ghose the drive and update the firmware, but last time I read up people were saying there was a version due that was worth waiting for. I really should find out the latest info. My drive's 80% and has slowed a bit.

Revs
03-26-10, 03:13 PM
As I say, I've never had it. I've not looked at other people's results either actually. I should.

Revs
03-26-10, 03:47 PM
There's a great thread over at [H]. Not so much about performance, but loads of good info about TRIM, what works, what doesn't...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035435254

newparad1gm
03-30-10, 10:21 PM
Just got and installed my new SSD. My Windows Experience Index for my disk drives jumped from 6.1 to 7.8. AND I was able to maintain the RAID 0 on my two other drives. Awesome.