PDA

View Full Version : 890GX

nekrosoft13
03-26-10, 01:46 PM
Time to upgrade the board in the server.

main reason for purcahse 2 extra SATA ports.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7152/img1886h.jpg

nekrosoft13
03-26-10, 02:24 PM
According to the latest Anand article, the SATA controller still needs tweaking.
Why not just a PCIe SATA controller for you current board?

Native SATA 3 is nice though! Wish Intel would do that sooner :o

because i went though 3 cheap controllers(20-40 bucks each), all have strange issues, and decent controller can cost more then a new board.

well according to Anand article all board be it native or non-native still can't fully reach SATA3 and USB3.0 performance.

nekrosoft13
03-26-10, 03:02 PM
my server is no where near as advance compared to what you have planned.

Redeemed
03-26-10, 10:15 PM
Honestly, due to financial situations I *may* be forced to sell off my i7 rig and revert back to an old but trusty Opty 165 setup for now.

I anticipate, that if I do indeed sell my i7 rig, the replacement for my Opty 165 rig will be AMD's 6-core Phenom on an 890GX (or whatever the top end chipset from AMD is at that time).

So, naturally, I'm *very* interested in your take on this board. :)

nekrosoft13
03-26-10, 10:40 PM
sure, will post a bit more about it, i was planing on swaping out the boards today, but ran out of time. probably either sunday or monday.

Redeemed
03-26-10, 11:00 PM
sure, will post a bit more about it, i was planing on swaping out the boards today, but ran out of time. probably either sunday or monday.

Thanks bro. :)

nekrosoft13
03-27-10, 02:57 PM
will have to wait a bit longer, tried to do it today, but i will have to either get a new PSU or extension

Lyme
03-27-10, 03:54 PM
Does gigabyte have something like the asus ezflash-2, that includes the flashing software in the bios? I've been really thankful for that feature on my asus board.

nekrosoft13
03-27-10, 06:16 PM
they do, i think they call it qflash it is build into bios.

Lyme
03-28-10, 04:01 AM
That is good. I haven't used a gigabyte board in ages, since my last one ate itself, but that was many years ago.

nekrosoft13
03-28-10, 03:03 PM
almost all done
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2220445&postcount=388

just need to work on wiring a bit more

overall a decent board, some layout improvement would be nice, why place front panel audio plug being the I/O panel? Why use a 3 pin power switch? Had to rewire the case front power switch cable to get it plugged in. After all these years why didn't all companies get on the same page?

no OS reinstall was necessary, just swapped out the old board for new(uninstalled old drivers first), plugged everything back and Server 2008 R2 booted right up.

much better board then my other ATI based boards (780, 785). 780 is a complete nightmare.

can't test USB3.0 or SATAIII since i have no hardware that uses that tech.

IDE on the board is controlled by Gigabyte SATAII chip, since there is no IDE support in native ATI chipset. My NEC burner won't burn DVDs anymore on the Gigabyte chip. i plugged in the drive to my other PC and it burned fine. there is IDE compatibility issues.

Will try to OC the Athlon II X4 635 maybe later today or tomorrow.

have not tried gaming on it, and won't bother, it is a server after all, and CCC and ATI drivers still get on my nerves.