PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Shortage Mass Hysteria or clever marketing

tornadog
03-26-10, 04:36 PM
If you notice, the Playstation forums have been abuzz with shortages of the PS3 slim throughout the country. I have not checked my local stores personally, but a quick glance of Ebay shows theres plenty of brand new in box ps3s selling for less than Retail. So is the shortage an artificially created gimmick by Sony and its fanboys?

|MaguS|
03-26-10, 04:59 PM
Sony has been claiming shortage since Christmas. They said it cleaned out their supply.

tornadog
03-26-10, 05:10 PM
even Amazon has a 1 console limit now and they keep going sold out in under an hour.

LurkerLito
03-26-10, 05:13 PM
Yeah but it depends on how you define shortage. Maybe Sony says there is a shortage cause they don't have many in storage and if there was an uptick in demand they'd have a hard time fulfilling orders.

Lyme
03-26-10, 08:13 PM
Sony is trying to limit the inventory because each ps3 costs them more to make than they make on the sale. Keeping a significant amount of stock would divert their cash flow from other areas that could use it. It's just business, and not like they can't build enough.

jdspinna
03-27-10, 01:15 AM
I'm pretty sure there was an unexpected surge of PS3 sales that came along with a little thing called a tax refund. I just picked mine up a couple months ago and had one hell of a time finding it. Every store told me as soon as tax refunds started going out people starting buying tons of PS3's.

It's good to see the console selling so well now anyway.

crainger
03-27-10, 02:06 AM
PS3 sales have risen sharply. Guys here at Game and EB sale PS3 has been out selling the other systems for a bit now. My mate at Game says the sales were closely linked to pre orders of Heavy Rain. Aussies love that game for some reason. Not sure why as it wasn't really hyped to much here.