PDA

View Full Version : AMD fans Please help!

gulizard
03-27-10, 01:15 AM
I've got a buddy who purchased an AMD Phenom 965 Black Edition and paired with a Asus M4A77TD Motherboard, some OCZ 4GB (Two actual sticks of 2GB DDR3 1066) RAM. He has OCZ 550W PSU, with an XFX 8800 GT. The issue hes having is when he has the video card in the motherboard along with everything else, it just powers off randomly after a few seconds. If he takes the card out it will stay on.

What could this be? Any help would be appreciated.

CaptNKILL
03-27-10, 01:24 AM
From my recent experience, I'd recommend downloading and burning the ultimate boot CD:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2131

And running memtest 86+ on that thing.

It may sound completely unrelated, but bad ram can do some crazy things and its very easy to test with that CD. I just had some bad OCZ ram myself.

gulizard
03-27-10, 01:38 AM
It wont stay running long enough to do that.

Flying_Elbow
03-27-10, 03:27 AM
If this was an upgrade, and you're using a case that previously had a motherboard installed in it, I've seen several times where people would accidentally leave a metal standoff in the case where there is no hole in the motherboard, because their old motherboard had a hole at that position, and this would result in a short. Also, even if it's not an upgrade, it's a good idea to make sure that your friend didn't accidentally put a standoff in a wrong spot. The act of inserting the video card could cause extra stress or pressure on the motherboard, which makes the short happen, or it could be due to the extra circuitry being used when the video card is inserted, that causes the short to be significant. It could also be a problem with the power supply.

Muppet
03-27-10, 03:58 AM
Have you tried stripping the board down completely and rebuilding it. Even take out the CPU. If it still does it, then try and use some Ram and a PSU from another computer. That is if you have them.

grey_1
03-27-10, 09:17 AM
My bro's pc with an Opteron 175 and 5750 was doing this exact thing. Replacing his PSU took care of it.

Lyme
03-27-10, 03:48 PM
The 8800 pulls quite a bit of juice like all modern video cards. What rating is the psu that is being used? I'd wager that you need at least a 450w (80+)

gulizard
03-27-10, 09:09 PM
OCZ 550W Fata1ty Edition...