PDA

View Full Version : Kotaku Gamer Census: 79% of Readers Pirate PC Games

Pages : [1] 2

NarcissistZero
03-27-10, 03:20 AM
Can we NOW admit it is a serious f'ing problem that is impacting sales to a great degree?

Please?

I mean, 79% of people on a console news site have pirated PC games!

http://kotaku.com/5500495/kotaku-census-2010-the-results-in-full

Muppet
03-27-10, 03:36 AM
Who said it was never an issue. Hell both Battlefield Bad Company and Cod MW2 don't have LAN options because of Piracy. Makes me mad as hell. (lee)

NarcissistZero
03-27-10, 03:38 AM
Who said it was never an issue.

Not so much not an issue, but more people act like publishers should just ignore it.

You can't ignore 79% of your market.

Muppet
03-27-10, 03:41 AM
Not so much not an issue, but more people act like publishers should just ignore it.

You can't ignore 79% of your market.

Absolutely not, no you can't. It doesn't help out PC gaming in the long run.

K007
03-27-10, 03:46 AM
What exactly is it you want "US" to do...

General Lee
03-27-10, 03:55 AM
I pirate games with hopes that Kiera Knightly will show up at my door wanting to play with my salty dog. ;)

jlippo
03-27-10, 04:35 AM
What exactly is it you want "US" to do...
Buy the games you play?
Although, even if everyone would buy their games sales wouldn't be as big as the amount of pirated copies for an obvious reasons.

Toss3
03-27-10, 05:00 AM
I think it's time governments started banning torrents.

Vardant
03-27-10, 05:03 AM
I mean, 79% of people on a console news site have pirated PC games!

http://kotaku.com/5500495/kotaku-census-2010-the-results-in-full
You said it yourself, 79% of people on a console news site. It can also be interpreted, that they buy their games for a console, because they come out first and then just pirate it later on the PC.

What exactly can we do about that?

NarcissistZero
03-27-10, 06:24 AM
Why do people keep asking me what to do?

It was an information post, I was not suggesting a course of action.

Vardant
03-27-10, 06:59 AM
It is a serious problem, that console gamers pirate PC games, but that doesn't necessarily mean, that PC gamers do the same thing.

I was thinking about it some time ago and the only solution I could come up with it is some kind of a rebate system.

You buy a console game and if you want a PC version of that game in the future, you get a discount.
Same thing could work for movies, you could exchange movie tickets for DVD/BR discount or you would get a discount for buying DVD and then BR version of the same movie.

It also explains, why a PC version of game already released on any given console should be cheaper.

Btw. I think someone in France suggested, that for example the price of a new DVD release should go down about 1/3 in 3 months and then another 1/3 from the original price after 6 months. Something along these lines would drastically decrease piracy.

Toss3
03-27-10, 07:14 AM
It is a serious problem, that console gamers pirate PC games, but that doesn't necessarily mean, that PC gamers do the same thing.

I was thinking about it some time ago and the only solution I could come up with it is some kind of a rebate system.

You buy a console game and if you want a PC version of that game in the future, you get a discount.
Same thing could work for movies, you could exchange movie tickets for DVD/BR discount or you would get a discount for buying DVD and then BR version of the same movie.

It also explains, why a PC version of game already released on any given console should be cheaper.

Btw. I think someone in France suggested, that for example the price of a new DVD release should go down about 1/3 in 3 months and then another 1/3 from the original price after 6 months. Something along these lines would drastically decrease piracy.

World of Goo had a piracy rate of 90% and it was completely free of DRM and cost only 5$.

Vardant
03-27-10, 07:29 AM
And? Sins of Solar Empire had no protection either and sold over 500k for a higher price.

nutcrackr
03-27-10, 07:53 AM
51% pirated console games too? That's a huge number.

I think we can conclude from this detailed study that people who read Kotaku are ****ing no good pirates.

(lee)

Vardant
03-27-10, 07:59 AM
Actually you can't.

You would also have to ask them, if they buy already pirated games.

Toss3
03-27-10, 08:16 AM
And? Sins of Solar Empire had no protection either and sold over 500k for a higher price.

Just proves that piracy has nothing to do with price nor DRM. A good game is always going to sell well, no matter the price or copy protection.

Imbroglio
03-27-10, 08:19 AM
that's a ridiculous heading for this thread.

if you read the link it says 79% of readers have pirated at least 1 game. I know when I took the poll I had pirated a handful of games while I was in college so I answered yes. I know it's not right, but that was also 7 - 8 years ago and I was flat broke. This thread is unwarranted.

More surprising to me is how high the console rates are. On the PC, you just click a link. On console, some work has to be put in. That's the biggest shocker to me.

Vardant
03-27-10, 08:24 AM
Just proves that piracy has nothing to do with price nor DRM. A good game is always going to sell well, no matter the price or copy protection.

Price is always involved, it's just not the only factor. You can't judge this by one game.

More surprising to me is how high the console rates are. On the PC, you just click a link. On console, some work has to be put in. That's the biggest shocker to me.
There are services for that almost everywhere. Once you get it modded, it becomes much easier to pirate console games and you don't even lose warranty. I'm not sure about multiplayer, but I think you can use it with any game, the only risk is ban and you can still use it for offline gaming after that. The last thing is more of a guess though.

Imbroglio
03-27-10, 08:33 AM
There are services for that almost everywhere. Once you get it modded, it becomes much easier to pirate console games and you don't even lose warranty.

that's my point. you still have to go out of you way to have this done before you can even download the games. on pc, it's still simpler.

Toss3
03-27-10, 08:37 AM
Price is always involved, it's just not the only factor. You can't judge this by one game.

Doubt price would matter to most pirates, but it might discourage some of them. MP also has a huge impact on piracy.
I think the best way to combat piracy would be to ban torrents completely.

Vardant
03-27-10, 08:39 AM
that's my point. you still have to go out of you way to have this done before you can even download the games. on pc, it's still simpler.

But once you do it, it's much easier. Games are released much sooner, sometimes weeks before a real console launch. No cracks involved, no real protection.

MS doesn't really care about that. They get their money for the console, for Live, DLC's, then they get banned and go buy a new one.

Doubt price would matter to most pirates, but it might discourage some of them. MP also has a huge impact on piracy.
I think the best way to combat piracy would be to ban torrents completely.
I don't know. When a DVD cost was around 26 dollars over here, they were selling pirated versions everywhere. But now, you can buy a DVD at a newsstand for 2.50 or occasionaly for 5 bucks.
I haven't heard about anyone selling pirated DVD's since and people buy them like crazy.

Torrents are probably still responsible for the major part, but ban wouldn't help. There's Megaupload, Rapidshare and others. They would just move.

|MaguS|
03-27-10, 08:41 AM

Price and DRM are a bull**** excuse made by pirates. If that were the case then budget titles with no DRM would never be pirated yet they are far more then games with DRM.

Fuku2
03-27-10, 09:05 AM
What's a piracy? :)

Vardant
03-27-10, 09:08 AM
This shows, how many hours do you need to earn enough money for a console game around the world.

http://i44.tinypic.com/6e1bq1.png

The same thing done for the PC.

http://i43.tinypic.com/6pltdv.png

Now go and search for highest piracy rates and tell me you don't see a pattern.

Btw. the whole article about this can be found here http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&sl=cs&tl=en&u=http://www.hrej.cz/clanky/bbyznys-prodavaji-se-vcr-predrazene-hry-3003/&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhg5hOOSC-mitHsuX-2N4LDfivmrLQ

Toss3
03-27-10, 09:22 AM
This shows, how many hours do you need to earn enough money for a console game around the world.

The same thing done for the PC.

Now go and search for highest piracy rates and tell me you don't see a pattern.

Btw. the whole article about this can be found here http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&sl=cs&tl=en&u=http://www.hrej.cz/clanky/bbyznys-prodavaji-se-vcr-predrazene-hry-3003/&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhg5hOOSC-mitHsuX-2N4LDfivmrLQ

Yup people in poor countries are always going to pirate games, but what I don't get is how they can afford the system to play the games in the first place if they can't afford the games. PC hardware isn't by any means cheap nor is an xbox360/Ps3 by their standards. Selling games a lot cheaper in poorer countries wouldn't be the worst idea, but I'm under the impression that PC games are already sold for a lot less yet pirated anyhow.