PDA

View Full Version : New Case

Pages : [1] 2

Maverick123w
03-27-10, 11:01 AM
A couple months ago one of my cats messed up the window on the side panel of my 902. Last night she finished the job so it's time to get a new case.

I had been itching for a replacement anyway as I love some of the new cases out there.

I really like my 902 and I defineateley don't want to downgrade at all. I'm not looking to go over $130. I want something with fantastic airflow as well as superb cable management.

So far I have 3 cases on my list, and if anyone has them or has worked with them I'd love an opinion, as well as suggestions on other cases.

In no particular order.....

Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119194

I like that it's a little larger than a normal mid tower but not as big as a full. I haven't worked with it personally but it looks to have fantastic airflow, and I imagine it's quiet with 200mm fans. The painted interior is great and after having a black interior in my 902, it's a must for me now. The cable management looks good but not great. It seems you would be able to see a lot of wires through that big open gap. I like the fan speed and LED controller on the top of the case. We watch lots of netflix at my computer, and the option to turn the lights off is great.

Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216

I did a core i7 build for a customer in the original 690 last year and it was a great case to work with. In fact I almost purchased it but a few small things kept me from doing so. The new version fixes pretty much every issue I had with the old case. The cooling looks decent stock, to get the cooling I'd want I'd have to add a few fans which would make this case more expensive. The wire management looks very good. If the silver strips on the front of the case are the same as the ones on the 690, they come off a little tacky IMO.

LIAN LI/Lancool PC-K62 Black
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112239

I built a machine for one of my best friends a couple months ago using this case. I told him that if I were buying a case at that time, it was the case I would get. After the build I was still in love with the case, but not as much as originally thought I would be. Looking back, I think the majority of the problem was his ocz modular psu's cables aren't nearly as long as the ones on my thermaltake, and that caused issues with cable routing. I do think with my power supply I could make it look better (his still looked good but wasn't "perfect"). I really loved the look of the case. It's much classier than the "boy gamer" look of my 902 or the CM sniper. The cooling seems very good (I wish there was mounting spot for a fan on the window) though I'm not sure if it's as good as my 902. Like the other 2 cases, this one is also tool-less but looks to be of significantly better quality.

I guess if I had to choose which case to eliminate right now it would be the 690 II. I plan on going up to microcenter to see them in person so that could easily change.

Opinions/suggestions very welcome.

Thanks,
Will

P.S. The case must be able to support my future upgrades which will include either a radeon 5830/5850 and possibly a corsair h50 if I do go with a Thuban chip.

logan
03-27-10, 12:53 PM
The sniper looks alot like the 922 HAF, except the 922 isn't black inside and doesn't have quite as many dials and such on top. My apartment is super dusty, so I'm not sure that the 922 was a wise choice, but the difference in temperatures before and after the move was huge. I went from like 60c cpu (e8400) and 75c gpu (gtx260) under load to 40c and 65c respectively. It's not that much bigger than my other midtower case, but that extra inch here and there makes a big difference when you're working inside of the case. The only thing I don't like about it is some of the sharp steel at the vents... I've chewed up my hands on more than one occasion.

Maverick123w
03-27-10, 01:05 PM
I have 2 cats so dust filters is a must. The sniper is very similar to the 932/922 but it is filtered. All 3 cases I've looked at so far are filtered.

Logical
03-27-10, 01:09 PM
I have 2 cats so dust filters is a must. The sniper is very similar to the 932/922 but it is filtered. All 3 cases I've looked at so far are filtered.

Putting filters on cases that come without is a easy and a costless thing to do. Don't pick a case just because they come with filters. If i had to go with any of the 3 it would be the Lian Li however there are better cases out there.

fasedww
03-27-10, 01:10 PM

I don't know why anybody would not want filters period. atleast make them or buy the screen filters that go on the outside of case fan.:)
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36_463_92

Logical
03-27-10, 01:11 PM
I don't know why anybody would not want filters period. atleast make them or buy the screen filters that go on the outside of case fan.:)

Idd, or just get rid of the cat lol

nekrosoft13
03-27-10, 01:15 PM
i would get the LIAN LI/Lancool, i have the A70F now, and its an amazing case.

Sniper looks to childish for me

CM690, i have the original, and overall design of case seemed really cheap. especially the front panel, broke mine had to super glue the power button.

Maverick123w
03-27-10, 01:42 PM
Putting filters on cases that come without is a easy and a costless thing to do. Don't pick a case just because they come with filters. If i had to go with any of the 3 it would be the Lian Li however there are better cases out there.

I like not having to make and add the filters myself. It always seems a little tacky to me. IMO any decent case should have them built in by now, and what cases in my price range are better? I'm all ears.

Maverick123w
03-27-10, 01:43 PM
i would get the LIAN LI/Lancool, i have the A70F now, and its an amazing case.

Sniper looks to childish for me

CM690, i have the original, and overall design of case seemed really cheap. especially the front panel, broke mine had to super glue the power button.

Without having first hand knowledge of the sniper/cm690 II I'm leaning towards the lancool, but I'll withold judgement until I see them.

logan
03-27-10, 01:44 PM
I bought a 4 piece magnetic DEMCiflex filter specifically designed for the 922 (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26197). It was kindof expensive, and I'm actually not using it at the moment. :S These are meant to go on the outside and I think your cats would love to play with 'em, so that may not be a good idea. :P I didn't realize the sniper was filtered, it looks pretty open like the HAF. Just throwing on the side filter increased the load temps on my system by like 5-7c. If my case begins to get dusty (having less of a positive airflow?), then I'll have no choice but to throw as many of those filters on as I can. It's been almost two months since I got the case and it's surprisingly clean inside.

Maverick123w
03-27-10, 01:48 PM
I bought a 4 piece magnetic DEMCiflex filter specifically designed for the 922 (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26197). It was kindof expensive, and I'm actually not using it at the moment. :S These are meant to go on the outside and I think your cats would love to play with 'em, so that may not be a good idea. :P I didn't realize the sniper was filtered, it looks pretty open like the HAF. Just throwing on the side filter increased the load temps on my system by like 5-7c. If my case begins to get dusty (having less of a positive airflow?), then I'll have no choice but to throw as many of those filters on as I can. It's been almost two months since I got the case and it's surprisingly clean inside.

My cats like to play with everything. We never got them "fixed" and they are a little crazy. They also still have their claws so any filter on the outside would be a big problem. My case fell over on the cat while she was wrestling her sister by it.... so hopefully she stays away from the next one.

If any hardware inside had been hurt the cat would no longer be an issue :maxshoot:

logan
03-27-10, 02:03 PM
The holes on the top and side of the case are huge, like a quarter of an inch in diameter. I'm sure they'd love clawing at those. But if the sniper is anything like the HAF, they'll have a hard time knocking that thing over... It's heavy, 19 pounds for the 922 and 29 for the 932. Thank goodness for free shipping from Amazon. :P This is by far the heaviest case I've ever had and it's actually somewhat difficult to move around when fully loaded.

The documentation says (or people say) that the 922 and 932 cases are filtered on the front, but it sure doesn't look like much of a filter to me. There's definitely a mesh of some sorts on the front molding of the case and the panel behind that, but you can clearly see light coming out through. They're like 1mm holes... Sure, scraps of paper aren't gonna find their way in, but I don't see how those would keep much else out. :P Which again makes it all the more surprising that my components aren't covered in dust, because everything else in my apartment is. :)

nekrosoft13
03-27-10, 02:28 PM
Without having first hand knowledge of the sniper/cm690 II I'm leaning towards the lancool, but I'll withold judgement until I see them.

i seen the sniper on many occasions, never actually used one to build anything, but from the outside it looks really childish. I guess it depends on the taste, but i wouldn't want one in my house.

nekrosoft13
03-27-10, 02:30 PM
here is another case you might consider, Thermaltake Element S

the best Element series case

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1321&ID=1852
btw, not sure if you like doors, but it fully removable

simply amazing case for the money, i got mine for 80 bucks. quality is outstanding.

XDanger
03-27-10, 02:56 PM
Did you think about putting carpet on the side panel instead of a new case?

logan
03-27-10, 03:21 PM
I always thought I had relatively conservative taste when it came to cases, never getting anything too flashy, but not ending up with a beige box either. My main system is inside a Super Flower 201-S (http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/cases/apro_superflower/). Similar to a Lian Li case, but with a few more windows and some acrylic on the front. Cooling was the main thing I was looking for when I bought my other case and the HAF 922 and 932 came up every time I went looking. They had a bit of a ricer look to them and that concerned me a little, but I decided to go with it anyway since I was more interested in lowering my temps than anything else. With it sitting right here next to me right now, I think it's fine and I don't regret that decision at all. Losing some of that plastic on top of the case wouldn't be a bad thing though.. :P

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/11-119-197-S05?$S640W$ (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197)
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/11-119-194-Z05?$S640W$ (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119194)

It looks like the sniper has some extra plastic on the top and bottom and a different side panel. I think the 922 looks a bit clunky compared to the sniper, maybe it's the rounded edges..

bob saget
03-27-10, 03:21 PM
I'd love to get my hands on some filters. anything thats available in US/Canada, or specifically for the CM 932?

logan
03-27-10, 03:23 PM
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26221

bob saget
03-27-10, 03:38 PM
does it come with instructions on how to put it on?

Maverick123w
03-27-10, 04:23 PM
here is another case you might consider, Thermaltake Element S

the best Element series case

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1321&ID=1852
btw, not sure if you like doors, but it fully removable

simply amazing case for the money, i got mine for 80 bucks. quality is outstanding.

Not seeing it on newegg. The Element G looks pretty nice.

logan
03-27-10, 07:02 PM
does it come with instructions on how to put it on?
They attach with a magnetic strip. You just match up the filter to the similarly shaped area on the case and stick it on.

bob saget
03-27-10, 08:18 PM
They attach with a magnetic strip. You just match up the filter to the similarly shaped area on the case and stick it on.

cool thanks for your help. gonna order. my case gets VERY dusty.

betterdan
03-28-10, 09:14 AM
Hmm thanks for the info on the magnetic case filters. I have an HAF922 and I made some homemade filters with window screen I bought at Lowes but it isn't very small holes in that screen. Some dust still gets through although my case is still fairly clean since I got it in December and haven't ever cleaned it.
I was almost sold on the magnetic filters till I read it increased your temps having them on. The whole reason I bought the case was for better airflow and cooler temps.

fasedww
03-28-10, 11:35 AM
Hmm thanks for the info on the magnetic case filters. I have an HAF922 and I made some homemade filters with window screen I bought at Lowes but it isn't very small holes in that screen. Some dust still gets through although my case is still fairly clean since I got it in December and haven't ever cleaned it.
I was almost sold on the magnetic filters till I read it increased your temps having them on. The whole reason I bought the case was for better airflow and cooler temps.

Maybe, unless you put some intake fans on the inside of the filters, sucking air into the case, temps will get cooler better.

logan
03-28-10, 11:38 AM
And that was just one filter on the side of my case with no active cooling. I figured maybe a degree or two, but I didn't think it would do that much. The other fans in the case must have caused enough air to come in that way or if not, vent out that way. I went to CM's forums after that and sure enough I saw other people asking about filters and responses from the company about how much that would impact the cooling of the case. Well, it does have High Air Flow in the name. :P Maybe that's why the Sniper was made, to try and keep some of that cooling but get a bit more filtering on there. Before I bought the 922 I was reading about positive and negative airflow, and that positive airflow should really help with dust in a case. I think if you could get fans blowing the right directions, it should keep the case from becoming dusty. Maybe they've already come close with the default fan layout.

I put my side filter back on yesterday and the one thing I like about it is how it blocks some of that light coming out of the case. There's red, green, and blue LEDs on the motherboard... It's like a light show in my hallway at night. :P

I should probably stop messing with the filter and either leave it on or off for 6 months and then try the other way to see what's going on in there, and compare it to my other case.