PDA

View Full Version : Sony: Removing ps3 functionality to make you safer

Pages : [1] 2

Lyme
03-29-10, 02:42 AM
Not like anyone really ever used the feature, but Sony is removing the ability to install the 'other' os on the ps3 http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.

In addition, disabling the “Other OS” feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.

nekrosoft13
03-29-10, 02:49 AM
haha, wasn't that one way to "hack" PS3 to load copied games?

Lyme
03-29-10, 02:54 AM
Maybe, I've only got a slim and you need a fatty for that.

Mr. Hunt
03-29-10, 03:15 AM
Who gives a crap? Oh noes, I cannot install garbage on my PS3 now, whatever will I do?!

Let's ignore the fact that you can't install squat on a 360... The Wii has more functionality lol.

Toss3
03-29-10, 04:04 AM
Who gives a crap? Oh noes, I cannot install garbage on my PS3 now, whatever will I do?!

Let's ignore the fact that you can't install squat on a 360... The Wii has more functionality lol.

What a crappy comment. Seriously. You're not making any sense and the last part doesn't have anything to do with the thread in general, but is just blatant flaming.

This was announced as a feature on the PS3 and as such it should not be removed without consequences. I'd be pissed off even if I wouldn't use it. Besides isn't it illegal to remove something that was in fact one of the core features from the start?

Really crappy of Sony to remove a feature some people are still using.. :thumbdwn:

Mr. Hunt
03-29-10, 04:08 AM
Yeah, sorry about that. I should have thought about it. I am sure the tens of people using linux (PERIOD, not just on PS3) are saddened by this.

Bearclaw
03-29-10, 07:34 AM
Just read this on Digg.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1080373p1.html

System update v3.21 will disable the console's "Install Other OS" feature, which allowed users to install the Linux operating system. The feature is currently only available in PlayStation 3 models released prior to the "slim" redesign that launched in September 2009. The update will go live on April 1.

ViN86
03-29-10, 07:46 AM
I never got a chance to try out this feature. Guess I never will. Oh well.

And from Sony's perspective this move makes sense. They just want to prevent piracy on the platform. Disabling linux will slow down the progress made towards cracking the console.

The news a few months ago about the guy gaining control over the system was done using linux installed on the PS3.

Toss3
03-29-10, 08:48 AM
Yeah, sorry about that. I should have thought about it. I am sure the tens of people using linux (PERIOD, not just on PS3) are saddened by this.

Well what if these 10 people bought the game console just for its linux support? I know some people use their PS3s as HTPCs. This was an advertised feature of the PS3 and if they remove it they should offer the current owners a full refund as otherwise it could be seen as false advertising. I see a class-action lawsuit in Sony's future.. :bleh:

ViN86
03-29-10, 08:51 AM
Well what if these 10 people bought the game console just for its linux support? I know some people use their PS3s as HTPCs. This was an advertised feature of the PS3 and if they remove it they should offer the current owners a full refund as otherwise it could be seen as false advertising. I see a class-action lawsuit in Sony's future.. :bleh:

There's an easy solution for that. If you bought the console just for Linux support, then don't update to the latest firmware.

haha, wasn't that one way to "hack" PS3 to load copied games?

Not yet. It was a tool people were using to learn how to load copied games, but no one has actually done anything remotely close to pirating PS3 games yet. Someone released information that they gained control of the memory a few months ago and they did it using Linux. Probably 99% of the reason the feature is being removed.

Toss3
03-29-10, 08:58 AM
There's an easy solution for that. If you bought the console just for Linux support, then don't update to the latest firmware.

Not yet. It was a tool people were using to learn how to load copied games, but no one has actually done anything remotely close to pirating PS3 games yet. Someone released information that they gained control of the memory a few months ago and they did it using Linux. Probably 99% of the reason the feature is being removed.

I know the update is optional, but it removes the ability to play on PSN. Sony never told the owners that you wouldn't be able to enjoy both things at the same time.

What makes it even funnier is the fact that sony promised not to kill Linux support after the Slim was announced:

http://www.haxnetwork.net/2010/03/otheros-will-not-be-removed-from-phat-ps3s/

Hi All,

On 02/26/2010 04:30 AM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 09:58 -0700, geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com wrote:
>> The feature of “Install Other OS” was removed from the new
>> “Slim” PS3 model to focus on delivering games and other
>> entertainment content.
>>
>> Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue
>> the support for previously sold models that have the
>> “Install Other OS” feature and that this feature will
>> not be disabled in future firmware releases.
>
> Although it’s disappointing that Sony have removed the feature from new
> models, It’s good to have this public assurance from Sony that at least
> the feature won’t be removed from older models which are already
> working.

Please understand that in my position as PS3-Linux maintainer
I can really only provide users with technical support for
Linux and the LV1 hcall interface.

The text above was provided to me by SCE management. If
you have any questions regarding it or any other feature
of the PS3 please contact the Playstation Customer Support
in your country. Using Playstation Customer Support will
insure your inquiry is processed through the correct
channels within SCE.

-Geoff

EDIT: Did you notice the date? Could be a bad April Fools' joke.

|MaguS|
03-29-10, 09:12 AM

And it will get thrown out pretty quick, while Sony did advertise it to the hardcore it was never in their commercials. Plus I am sure that their is a clause in their EULA (you know, that thing you never read) that states they have the right to change or remove functionality as they see fit.

Some services may change your current settings, cause a loss of data or content, or cause some loss of functionality.

LurkerLito
03-29-10, 10:25 AM
When I installed my 250GB drive I set aside 10GB for the other OS feature in case I wanted to install linux one day. I never did, but if they are removing the other OS I hope they put in something in the code to recover that 10GB without the need to reformat. That would be my only complaint.

I definitely can understand why Sony would remove it, they don't want to have to spend money to patch a feature, that only older PS3s have, for security bugs in the future if a way to pirate games eventually comes out. But if I were using it I would definitely be a bit pissed, especially when they point blank told everyone before they wouldn't remove the feature from older PS3s.

DiscipleDOC
03-29-10, 10:27 AM
You mean...I can't install linux?!?!oneone

Whatever am I going to do with my GAME CONSOLE nao!? :cry:

Yaboze
03-29-10, 10:37 AM
The timing is suspicious.

I don't use it anyway, but whatever. If they are going to remove it they should at least give us something back, like PS2 compatibility. The days of people just playing PS2 games on the PS3 are over, Sony, give us that compatibility. The Wii and Xbox 360 have systems in place for backwards compatibility, you should too.

nekrosoft13
03-29-10, 11:29 AM

that my point, why not just say the truth, why they are removing it. not this make you safer BS

|MaguS|
03-29-10, 11:29 AM
Oh I am sure that were gonna get digital PS2 games in the future, its a matter of When.

ViN86
03-29-10, 12:07 PM
that my point, why not just say the truth, why they are removing it. not this make you safer BS

Of course this is why they're removing it. But coming out and saying that would really piss people off. Instead you make it sound like you're making the console safer and people rejoice as you strip them of their features lol.

Toss3
03-29-10, 01:01 PM
And it will get thrown out pretty quick, while Sony did advertise it to the hardcore it was never in their commercials. Plus I am sure that their is a clause in their EULA (you know, that thing you never read) that states they have the right to change or remove functionality as they see fit.

EULAs don't really matter as the law is always above them. The EULAs are not written with each country in mind and as you very well know the law differs in each country. Removing an advertised feature is not something that is legal in any European country at least.
Did you ever read nvidia's EULA btw? They have a clause in there that says they're not responsible if your card breaks due to errors in their code. So the recent drivers that caused the fan failure would thus not be covered. Sucky support imho.
Would you consider Sony removing BC in the old consoles because most people aren't using it to be fair?

More Sony BS (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152133.html)

FastRedPonyCar
03-29-10, 04:45 PM
will the absence of this feature not allow it to play games, watch movies, stream media from my PC's or watch instant netflix movies?

No? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/fastredponycar/forums/smilies/redface.gif

ViN86
03-29-10, 07:43 PM
I thought they already removed it when the Slim came out.
I was pretty pissed when I first read that back then. It was the one feature that made the PS3 special and not just a console. I never used it but I don't really use the PS3 either, so...

But there were quite a few projects with clustering PS3s for other tasks than gaming. Removing this feature really takes out the flexibility of this platform.

Life with Playstation is still its own program on the dash, so that won't be affected.

Mr. Hunt
03-30-10, 03:22 AM
OMG GAIS! i hurd dat dey r remvuing teh abletee 2 watch teh furst sezon of That 70's Show n DEE VEE DEE!@! WTF R day tinkin giz?

crainger
03-30-10, 05:52 AM
Folding@home, with news and stuffs. Kinda cool, great way to overheat your PS3.

LurkerLito
03-30-10, 11:44 AM
And so it begins:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/03/hacker-vows-to-fight-sony-ps3-update-restore-linux-support.ars

I had a feeling this was about to happen the second I read that Sony was removing the feature. Say what you will about hackers they are very consistent. Sony gave them the ability to install other OS and they basically stayed away. A small hole was found but no one found a way to exploit it for piracy still they stayed away. Sony decides to take out the other OS feature most likely to not have to spend resources on patching a system only older PS3s have, now the hackers see the PS3 as something they want to hack.

Toss3
03-30-10, 12:13 PM
And so it begins:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/03/hacker-vows-to-fight-sony-ps3-update-restore-linux-support.ars

I had a feeling this was about to happen the second I read that Sony was removing the feature. Say what you will about hackers they are very consistent. Sony gave them the ability to install other OS and they basically stayed away. A small hole was found but no one found a way to exploit it for piracy still they stayed away. Sony decides to take out the other OS feature most likely to not have to spend resources on patching a system only older PS3s have, now the hackers see the PS3 as something they want to hack.

Retarded move on his part as this will surely make Sony's move seem justified.