PDA

View Full Version : Bad Company 2 - CPU too slow?

Pages : [1] 2

Jon
03-30-10, 04:20 AM
I've tried all the "tweaks" I can find and even the newest nvidia drivers which promise to add and/or improve sli in bad company 2. But still, on the snowy map I drop down to 20fps. Extensive sitting and watching of graphs whilst being stabbed in the back indicates that both cores (core 2 duo 2.8ghz) are at 100%. Whilst both gpus (2x280m's) are running at about 28%.

Am I right in thinking this is a case of a cpu bottleneck? Maybe because the cpu has the physics and sound engines to handle as well as passing frames to the gpu. So far, I've been messing around trying to get sli working... but maybe it is working and I have 2 cards sitting round waiting now instead of 1.

Revs
03-30-10, 04:27 AM
You'd probably be better with SLI disabled if the CPU is the bottleneck, as SLI adds load to the CPU. I take it this is a laptop? Is there any chance you could OC the CPU? That would make all the difference. The P9700 is an uber low power jobbie though isn't it.

NarcissistZero
03-30-10, 06:05 AM
The game is definitely CPU dependent in a lot of areas, in the snow or sandstorms I get drops to the low 30s no matter what settings I have the game on.

ragejg
03-30-10, 06:09 AM
Running @ 10x7 on my "Vacation LCD" I still get some slowdowns around fog and smoke. There's definitely some cpu-based non-optimization goin' on there.

Jon
03-30-10, 07:25 AM
Hmmm, I did switch the profile to single gpu but I forget to note down the fps as I was more baffled by the fact it went from 30% / 30% to 50%/20%. Thats still SLI in my books :D But I'll try it again with the new drivers.

Yeah, this is the laptop in my sig. Unfortunately its an nvidia motherboard and the only thing that can ocuk the cpu is nvidias system tools. Which actually freeze windows the second I install them.

|MaguS|
03-30-10, 07:30 AM
Your CPU should be able to keep it up better then that. The game is quad core supportive so it should be that much of a limit for your rig.

What settings you running? Drivers?

Toss3
03-30-10, 07:41 AM
I've tried all the "tweaks" I can find and even the newest nvidia drivers which promise to add and/or improve sli in bad company 2. But still, on the snowy map I drop down to 20fps. Extensive sitting and watching of graphs whilst being stabbed in the back indicates that both cores (core 2 duo 2.8ghz) are at 100%. Whilst both gpus (2x280m's) are running at about 28%.

Am I right in thinking this is a case of a cpu bottleneck? Maybe because the cpu has the physics and sound engines to handle as well as passing frames to the gpu. So far, I've been messing around trying to get sli working... but maybe it is working and I have 2 cards sitting round waiting now instead of 1.

You could try lowering the sound quality from both the settings.ini file and control panel(your X-Fi won't make a difference in this game).

mailman2
03-30-10, 07:43 AM
Your CPU will be a problem and especially with SLI. You are just further bottlenecking it. We've seen how CPU scaling with dual cards is very important. The faster the CPU the better.. so you can either try to overclock that further or may be looking at an upgrade.

I just went to an i7-860, newegg has a combo with an EVGA P55 LE for $422 that has another $30 MIR. I found a kit of DDR3 ram after rebate for $79. Basically after I sold my Q9550, 8GB DDR2 and motherboard it cost me about $15 to upgrade. It might be time to to the same.

You didn't mention your motherboard in your specs, but maybe you could get a Q9550 or 9560 to replace the Q6600 you have and drop it into your existing system even.

Toss3
03-30-10, 08:00 AM
Your CPU will be a problem and especially with SLI. You are just further bottlenecking it. We've seen how CPU scaling with dual cards is very important. The faster the CPU the better.. so you can either try to overclock that further or may be looking at an upgrade.

I just went to an i7-860, newegg has a combo with an EVGA P55 LE for $422 that has another $30 MIR. I found a kit of DDR3 ram after rebate for $79. Basically after I sold my Q9550, 8GB DDR2 and motherboard it cost me about $15 to upgrade. It might be time to to the same.

You didn't mention your motherboard in your specs, but maybe you could get a Q9550 or 9560 to replace the Q6600 you have and drop it into your existing system even.

I think he's talking about his laptop. :)

EDIT: slaWter beat me to it.

Toss3
03-30-10, 08:04 AM
The power of two additional cores made that possible :p

:lol: How are the temps compared to your old 965?

Jon
03-30-10, 03:10 PM
You'd probably be better with SLI disabled if the CPU is the bottleneck, as SLI adds load to the CPU.

Well, I just gave it a try with sli disabled totally instead of single gpu profile and it seems you are indeed correct. I get 80% + usage on one gpu and 0% on the other... finally. But my framerates then go up by about 10fps... so the lowest I get now is 30fps! Cheers for that. Bit of a pain I have to turn SLI on and off... but its really the only game I'm playing at the moment anyway.

Toss3
03-30-10, 03:40 PM
Well, I just gave it a try with sli disabled totally instead of single gpu profile and it seems you are indeed correct. I get 80% + usage on one gpu and 0% on the other... finally. But my framerates then go up by about 10fps... so the lowest I get now is 30fps! Cheers for that. Bit of a pain I have to turn SLI on and off... but its really the only game I'm playing at the moment anyway.

You should also try turning down the audio quality as I suggested.

Source (http://www.fragcast.org/?p=433&page=2)

hawkeyefan
03-31-10, 12:30 AM
This is the first game, Crysis included, that just abused my old s939 rig w/8800 GT. Totally unplayable. Ugh. Time to upgrade, I suppose.

The worst part is that I've put it off for so long that I'm looking at a total platform upgrade. Everything but the motherscratching PSU and the case. Well, maybe those too.

I was sort of on the fence about BFBC2 initially but I don't think I can hold out any longer for BF3 anyway.

mojoman0
03-31-10, 03:22 AM
This is the first game, Crysis included, that just abused my old s939 rig w/8800 GT. Totally unplayable. Ugh. Time to upgrade, I suppose.

The worst part is that I've put it off for so long that I'm looking at a total platform upgrade. Everything but the motherscratching PSU and the case. Well, maybe those too.

I was sort of on the fence about BFBC2 initially but I don't think I can hold out any longer for BF3 anyway.

my s939 x2 4200 just got replaced with a new mobo/cpu/ram for under $300....ah the battlefield games are the only thing that can make me upgrade in a jiffy

MowTin
03-31-10, 11:41 PM

Same here. Everytime I upgrade I need a whole new everything. And mobo upgrades are very painful and time consuming.

Jon
04-01-10, 07:56 AM
You should also try turning down the audio quality as I suggested.

Source (http://www.fragcast.org/?p=433&page=2)

Yeah, sorry, missed that... been long days at work this week. I tweaked the audio last night... its all running pretty smooth now. The only time I get unplayable frame rates is only on nelson bay? (the snowy one) and only when theres a lot going on.

I'm going to try turning down undergrowth (apparently grass - trees are overgrowth) tonight and see if that helps.

One final question... and I feel really thick asking it. But since my gpus are near idle... does that mean I can turn things like AA and AF up higher therefore using more gpu but not losing any fps?

hawkeyefan
04-02-10, 03:23 AM

ragejg
04-02-10, 03:55 AM
Posts reported. We really don't want to know about your pirated game. Remove that stuff from your posts, and we highly recommend that you get rid of your pirated copy of the game and buy it like the rest of us did. :mad:

CaptNKILL
04-02-10, 05:39 AM
hawkey, do not post about pirated games here, even if you've purchased a copy or plan to do so later. We can't have that stuff on our forums. Consider this a warning.

dikinher
04-02-10, 03:29 PM
I love this game but for the decent graphics it puts out, the performance shouldn't be bad as currently is. Whatever it is...there is no reason, apart from bad optimization, that I should be getting below 30 FPS most of the time. I really dislike the Frostbite engine. The visuals and the bad performance to boot, it reminds me a lot like the Unreal 3 engine.

hawkeyefan
04-02-10, 07:28 PM
I'm genuinely sorry about that, everyone. I know better than to even allude to such a thing and had been, uh, partying a little too hard last night and got carried away trying to figure out if I could run it on my current rig. It's no excuse, and it was foolish. Won't happen again.

dikinher
04-02-10, 10:56 PM
People make mistakes. You seem sincere. Most pirates I've run into are a bunch of jack asses. They all need to jump off a cliff asap.

Burnt_Ram
04-03-10, 09:35 AM
I love this game but for the decent graphics it puts out, the performance shouldn't be bad as currently is. Whatever it is...there is no reason, apart from bad optimization, that I should be getting below 30 FPS most of the time. I really dislike the Frostbite engine. The visuals and the bad performance to boot, it reminds me a lot like the Unreal 3 engine.

you get below 30 fps even with that Q9650 @ 4 ghz??? i get better than that with my dually @ 4 ghz? i run 2048x1152 2xAA 8xAF with a mix of mainly High and medium settings.

lowest i ever see is 35 fps and thats on a 32 player server with tons of smoke and stuff goin on. i stay above 45 fps 90% of the time. i was going to buy a Q9400 and run it around 3.6 or so, but now after seeing your performance i'm not sure anymore ...

Width=2048
Height=1152
Fullscreen=true
RefreshRate=59.909
VSync=true
[Sound]
Quality=low
VoipEnable=false
SpeakerCount=0
[Graphics]
Effects=low
Soldiers=high
Vehicles=high
Overgrowth=medium
Undergrowth=medium
StaticObjects=medium
Terrain=high
Shadows=low
Bloom=false
HSAO=false
MSAA=1
Water=medium
MainQuality=custom
Texture=high
DxVersion=10
Aniso=3
Detail=high
RenderAheadLimit=1
Fov=78

dikinher
04-03-10, 06:21 PM
I am running my Q9650 on stock (3.0ghz) right now, since I removed my Xigmatek Black Night CPU cooler. I don't know how it will perform when I overclock it back to 4.0, once I get my new heatsink from newegg.

I also run everything on the highest possible, except for for AA at 4x and AF at 4x. Resolution is at 1680x1050. DX10.

you get below 30 fps even with that Q9650 @ 4 ghz??? i get better than that with my dually @ 4 ghz? i run 2048x1152 2xAA 8xAF with a mix of mainly High and medium settings.

lowest i ever see is 35 fps and thats on a 32 player server with tons of smoke and stuff goin on. i stay above 45 fps 90% of the time. i was going to buy a Q9400 and run it around 3.6 or so, but now after seeing your performance i'm not sure anymore ...

Width=2048
Height=1152
Fullscreen=true
RefreshRate=59.909
VSync=true
[Sound]
Quality=low
VoipEnable=false
SpeakerCount=0
[Graphics]
Effects=low
Soldiers=high
Vehicles=high
Overgrowth=medium
Undergrowth=medium
StaticObjects=medium
Terrain=high
Shadows=low
Bloom=false
HSAO=false
MSAA=1
Water=medium
MainQuality=custom
Texture=high
DxVersion=10
Aniso=3
Detail=high
RenderAheadLimit=1
Fov=78

Madpistol
04-04-10, 08:00 AM
These days I'm playing the game on a 3GHz Q6600 with a single GTX 280 and it performs good, very playable. Similar to yours but at 1920x1200 with 4x AA, all high without HBAO. Definitely now sub 30 FPS slowdowns!

btw, the 45nm Intel Quads (9000 series) aren't compatible with the nVidia 650i/680i chipsets :(

Yep. That's what kept me from just buying a Q9400 and popping it into my eVGA 680i. It would have been a great upgrade and would have cost me about $200 less than upgrading the full platform to AM3. However, due to compatibility issues, I couldn't do that.

My Fiance's Gigabyte P45 is capable of running Quads, but due to current pricing, it's really not worth it to buy the chips. I wish the prices would go down a little. :(