PDA

View Full Version : Game Pirate tries to steal Game Code at PAX

Pages : [1] 2

|MaguS|
03-30-10, 08:56 AM
Some ****ing pirate copied the game code to Breach and was arrested after a developer saw him. This is a perfect example of how much respect these tools have for the industry and community. This is a public game convention for the fans and he abuses it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/30/breach-game-code-theft-at-pax-east-ends-in-arrest/#continued

According to a representative for the company, the suspected thief managed to download some of the code and then run into the crowd after he was spotted. He was eventually apprehended in the large crowd and the game's code was found on his computer.

"This guy had only succeeded in copying about 14MB to his laptop before our staff caught him,"

The suspect spent four hours in jail, and his laptops, modded Xbox 360, modded PSP, modded DS and XMP3 were confiscated by police.

Best part...

Stephen Toulouse, director of policy and enforcement for Xbox Live, actually had an incident with the suspect earlier in the day during his panel "Enforcement on Xbox Live: Tales from the Din Part 2" (audible beginning at the 40:15 mark). During the Q&A section of the panel, the alleged thief asked if he could have his Gamertag unbanned. Toulouse asked him what he'd done, and he said that he'd played Forza 3 before release, which Toulouse told him he shouldn't have done. Toulouse was clear to point out during the panel that buying games early, from a retailer that breaks street date, and playing them online doesn't get Xbox Live players banned, but illegal pre-release play does. The suspect later admitted to Joystiq he illegally downloaded Forza 3 early.

Toss3
03-30-10, 08:58 AM
Hope he gets some jail-time.

Yaboze
03-30-10, 09:00 AM
Kind of reminds me of what happened with Half Life 2.

six_storm
03-30-10, 09:38 AM
Hope he gets some jail-time.

Hope he gets a life sentence!!! That elk ****er!111

:rolleyes:

He got what he deserved: public humiliation.

NarcissistZero
03-30-10, 10:44 AM
Jail time is perhaps severe, though I would not argue against it if that ends up being what happens.

I would sentence him to a massive amount of community service and put him on probation where any illegal computer use would immediately put him in prison, then monitor him.

Toss3
03-30-10, 11:23 AM
Jail time is perhaps severe, though I would not argue against it if that ends up being what happens.

I would sentence him to a massive amount of community service and put him on probation where any illegal computer use would immediately put him in prison, then monitor him.

He's a thief and thus deserves to be put in jail where he belongs. If this had been a car show and he had tried driving off in a Ferrari don't you think he would have been thrown in jail?

XDanger
03-30-10, 02:22 PM
He's a thief and thus deserves to be put in jail where he belongs. If this had been a car show and he had tried driving off in a Ferrari don't you think he would have been thrown in jail?

Given the huge sums of money involved this is more akin to trying to steal an f16 at an air show
(if they had stolen a multi-platform game on all platforms then manage to destroy all the code)

bob saget
03-30-10, 02:30 PM
Off with his head!

:p

ViN86
03-30-10, 02:41 PM

Here comes the Ferrari comparison. :rolleyes:

Yes, the guy is a dirty thief. But extended jail time doesn't really fit the crime. They should charge him with as many things as possible. Then it's up to a judge to decide his fate.

ViN86
03-30-10, 02:48 PM
Question: What the hell does them working with the military and U.S. intelligence have to do with a video game? They use similar parts of code or something? :confused:

Or are they collecting statistics on foreigners? I don't understand why he kept saying that. Besides, the guy was stealing the game, not the source code or anything, right? So I mean he would only have access to the compiled code.

crainger
03-30-10, 02:52 PM
Ban him from computers for like 10 years. Just like that movie... What was it? Ya Ya Sisterhood?

|MaguS|
03-30-10, 02:55 PM
http://kotaku.com/5505341/suspected-game-code-thief-on-the-lam

A Boston court has issued an arrest warrant for the man detained by police Sunday for allegedly trying to copy the code for upcoming shooter Breach, Kotaku has learned.

Justin D. May, 20, failed to show for his arraignment this morning and an arrest warrant has been issued, Suffolk County District Attorney press secretary Jake Wark told Kotaku.

May faces charges of larceny over $250 and buying, selling or receiving stolen trade secrets. May could face up to five years or a $25,000 fine on the first charge and up to five years or a $500 fine and imprisonment of up to two years on the second charge.

Tractenberg said, May offered to give the arresting office $100 to "get me out of this."

Toss3
03-30-10, 03:10 PM
http://kotaku.com/5505341/suspected-game-code-thief-on-the-lam

:clap2:

Toss3
03-30-10, 03:15 PM
Here comes the Ferrari comparison. :rolleyes:
It was inevitable. /Agent Smith

Yes, the guy is a dirty thief. But extended jail time doesn't really fit the crime. They should charge him with as many things as possible. Then it's up to a judge to decide his fate.

How does it not fit the crime? He tried to steal code worth millions.

ViN86
03-30-10, 03:41 PM
It was inevitable. /Agent Smith

How does it not fit the crime? He tried to steal code worth millions.

He attempted to steal software. This amounts to $60 or less before distribution. If he had successfully stolen the code, then distributed it, this could have resulted in hundreds of thousands of dollars in losses for the company.

But he did not distribute. Sure, his intent should be taken into account, but imo what he did boils down to petty theft. Now that he didn't appear, however, he should be jailed. Kid needs to grow the **** up.

Toss3
03-30-10, 04:03 PM
He attempted to steal software. This amounts to $60 or less before distribution. If he had successfully stolen the code, then distributed it, this could have resulted in hundreds of thousands of dollars in losses for the company.

But he did not distribute. Sure, his intent should be taken into account, but imo what he did boils down to petty theft. Now that he didn't appear, however, he should be jailed. Kid needs to grow the **** up.

Ok, I must admit you have a pretty good point there, but as he already had a modded xbox360 and PSP isn't it pretty obvious what he was going to do had he succeeded?
Besides this was not a finished product he tried to steal off a store-shelf, but a trade secret worth a lot more.

ViN86
03-30-10, 04:04 PM
Ok, I must admit you have a pretty good point there, but as he already had a modded xbox360 and PSP isn't it pretty obvious what he was going to do had he succeeded?
Besides this was not a finished product he tried to steal off a store-shelf, but a trade secret worth a lot more.
True, but that's why I said his intent will probably be taken into account. So I am sure he would get a stiffer sentence than another person would for petty theft. Also, I don't really know how you put a value on an unfinished concept game lol. It could be worth $10 million or it could be worth $0. We won't know until it launches haha.

bob saget
03-30-10, 04:07 PM
Might be a simple question, but what exactly is "top secret" game code doing on a machine where any douchebag can steal it from?
Ferrari is not going to leave plans to their new top secret F1 racer at the dealership....

lduguay
03-30-10, 04:18 PM
Might be a simple question, but what exactly is "top secret" game code doing on a machine where any douchebag can steal it from?
Ferrari is not going to leave plans to their new top secret F1 racer at the dealership....

It is partly the software dev fault. Source code should never be exposed outside a controlled work environment. :headexplode:

ViN86
03-30-10, 04:19 PM
It is partly the software dev fault. Source code should never be exposed outside a controlled work environment. :headexplode:

So this was source code? Or was this a compiled game? I don't understand.

If it was source code, I don't know why the kid bothered. He probably wouldn't know how to compile/run it anyways. Either way, +1 to what lduguay said. You have to be pretty daft to leave source code exposed for the taking.

Toss3
03-30-10, 04:20 PM

Think they were showing the game off and that would be pretty difficult without the code. :D

This just got a little bit funnier:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/30/breach-thief-jumps-bail-currently-playing-modern-warfare-2/

ViN86
03-30-10, 04:22 PM
Think they were showing the game off and that would be pretty difficult without the code. :D

This just got a little bit funnier:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/30/breach-thief-jumps-bail-currently-playing-modern-warfare-2/

I would pre-compile everything before bringing it there. I mean it's not like you're going to be working on the game at PAX.

Also that link is hilarious. :rofl

EDIT: LOL I just saw they valued his attempted theft at $6 million! That's bigger than a bank robbery. He will get serious jail time for it. :rofl

|MaguS|
03-30-10, 04:27 PM
I would pre-compile everything before bringing it there. I mean it's not like you're going to be working on the game at PAX.

Also that link is hilarious. :rofl

EDIT: LOL I just saw they valued his attempted theft at $6 million! That's bigger than a bank robbery. He will get serious jail time for it. :rofl

Actually the claim is unfinished code. He didn't just stick a thumb drive in the demo units, he tied into their network. Stealing unfinished code is alot more damaging then stealing a compiled game.

Heck ncsoft claimes that the stolen code for Lineage 3 (another thing from last year) has the potential to cost them billions...

ViN86
03-30-10, 04:29 PM
Actually the claim is unfinished code. He didn't just stick a thumb drive in the demo units, he tied into their network. Stealing unfinished code is alot more damaging then stealing a compiled game.

Heck ncsoft claimes that the stolen code for Lineage 3 (another thing from last year) has the potential to cost them billions...

So it was source then. I don't know wtf the kid was thinking. He probably wouldn't know what to do with it anyways. Then again if he bypassed security or something to obtain the code, then he would know what to do with it lol.

bob saget
03-30-10, 04:29 PM
May's current whereabouts are unknown, but we do have his Gamertag, which shows that wherever he is at the moment, he's playing Modern Warfare 2.

Any sort of feeling of sympathy left my body :rofl
Nice to see this 20 year old has his priorities in order :headexplode: