PDA

View Full Version : Need to build a $1,000 gaming desktop

Kain
03-30-10, 04:00 PM
My brother needs a new computer. He has about $1,000 for a desktop build. I really don't know what's best in this price range. Please help me out.

Processor:
Motherboard:
RAM:
Graphics card:
Sound card: (Will on-board sound from the motherboard be good enough? If not, recommend a sound card)
HDD/SSD:
CD/DVD writer:
Power supply:
Case: (Might be able to get one from his friend for free but still make a suggestion)

Redeemed
03-30-10, 04:03 PM
Since you're not in the US, and many posters here are (or Europe) this might be difficult.

However, I'll throw a list together for you- though I'll have to go off of $1000 USD. This should give you a rather decent idea of what to get though. :)

Toss3
03-30-10, 04:13 PM
For 1000$ you should be able to get a Core i7 920, Asus P6T SE, Random 3x2Gb DDR3 1600Mhz, Radeon 5850(any brand), 1TB HDD, Couger Power 700W PSU(how can you resist a cougar? :D), Antec Nine Hundred case and random DVD-RW.

Replace "random" with the cheapest brand.

Smokey
03-30-10, 04:44 PM
As for the soundcard, it depends on the person really. Ive heard many people that are happy with onboard, but true gamers will use on Creative, as they are the only cards that have maximum support in games. Regardless of all the problems people have with Creative, I used only Creative cards since the SBLive, and I havent had any major problems.

Toss3
03-30-10, 05:29 PM
As for the soundcard, it depends on the person really. Ive heard many people that are happy with onboard, but true gamers will use on Creative, as they are the only cards that have maximum support in games. Regardless of all the problems people have with Creative, I used only Creative cards since the SBLive, and I havent had any major problems.

Must say that after having used a receiver for a while going back to a sound card is definitely quite a step-down in sound quality. The only card that comes close is the Essence STX - all of the X-Fi's I've heard have sounded horrible compared to the STX . Besides how many games make use of the X-Fi's advanced features these days anyways?

Smokey
03-31-10, 05:48 PM
All the use OpenAL, like the UT3 engine, I too use a receiver, but I only have 2 speakers. Everyone knows that when using digital, it doesnt matter really what soundcard you use as it the DAC in your receiver that handles the decoding. With Creatives cards, you can get EAX (OpenAL) in stereo via digital.

musman
04-02-10, 06:05 PM
Does he need a monitor, keyboard, mouse and all the extras or just a new tower? I second the I7 920 system, only because that what I purchased :)