PDA

View Full Version : HL2

Redeemed
03-31-10, 10:51 PM
I was just watching some E3 videos from 2003 before the game launched... and the video clips shown- near nothing of them is in the final game. I recall that the source code got stolen, but did that require them to change the plot?

For example, in the below video, near half way through the video, you jump off a ledge onto this little flat area where Alyx is waiting for you. Moments later a combine soldier climbs up and tells you to "Hold it!" Seconds later, some transparent blue tentacle like those spirit things in the FF movie stabs the combine and drags him off. Seconds later two more tentacles rise up targetting you and Alyx- then the screen fades to black.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/II3Y-SkGSEo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/II3Y-SkGSEo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm just curious- what are we missing? Those earlier videos really make the game seem like it was going to be 10x cooler than it was, and I'm a big fan of HL2 as it is.

Was the original content ever released to public, legally? Did they ever reveal what we were unfortunate enough to miss?

Just curious, and reminiscing. :)

|MaguS|
03-31-10, 11:01 PM
They cut the tentacle out I believe because they didn't fit in HL2 very well and animated poorly.

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Hydra

Redeemed
04-01-10, 12:04 AM
They cut the tentacle out I believe because they didn't fit in HL2 very well and animated poorly.

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Hydra

Just read through a crap load of stuff there- and I'm now more excited than ever for EP3! :lol: :D

Gotta' go play some HL2 nao... thanks for the link! :)

Bearclaw
04-01-10, 06:36 AM
Eh, I thought MP was cool in this but as SP, it was a crappy game. :/

Quick420
04-01-10, 07:10 AM
Eh, I thought MP was cool in this but as SP, it was a crappy game. :/

I felt the exact opposite....multiplayer was deathmatch rehashed and the single player story was epic.EH?:p

grey_1
04-01-10, 07:12 AM
Forgot all about this game - thanks for reminding me of it again 'deemed. :headexplode:

six_storm
04-01-10, 08:14 AM
I remember seeing these E3 videos for the first time and my jaw was on the floor. I thought it was the MOST advanced game evar. One of the best PC games of all time for sure!

HiCZoK4
04-01-10, 08:24 AM
I also remember waiting for this game. It was sooo jaw dropping! I still have on my hdd video with over 20 minutes camera recording with presentation of the game from e3 2003. The people are like "WOOOOW Jeez! MY EYES!" almost all the time...

These were times. I don't think there are games I wait for as I did for Doom3 and HL2. Guess it was my time then.(Kiddo waiting:D) etc(and those games werent overhyped too much imo)

Anyway... I even had that stolen alpha running on my pc. And Barely anything was working in there. I couldnt get to run almost nothing from the video. I remember even gravity gun wasnt working correctly:lol:

But there was BOREALIS level ! (litle part) Ep3 come on !

About alphas and betas of the games-Nothing beats Hitman2 beta with insane ragdoll:lol: ...Dunno how did I get my hands on this:bleh: btw I still have Doom3 alpha with 2 levels. It feels soo much darker and creepier than final game, but good they did it how they did.

I love beta versions of games:D Anything You recommend?

Bearclaw
04-01-10, 08:26 AM
I felt the exact opposite....multiplayer was deathmatch rehashed and the single player story was epic.EH?:p

I can understand that. I never had the first one so I started with HL2 so to me DM was all new.

wysiwyg
04-01-10, 08:46 AM
i remember being wowed by those videos and so excited for the game. when it was released at 2am i played it until mid day and called into work sick.

all looks pretty non cutting edge now.

but at the time it was amazing and it is still good fun with the cinematic mods

Quick420
04-01-10, 10:30 AM
I can understand that. I never had the first one so I started with HL2 so to me DM was all new.

The first one was really cool deathmatch,running around with the gauss gun rocket jumping everywhere,people yelling hacker,he can shoot through walls....LOL The gun fully charged could go through two walls:D That was my first deathmatch experience(well unrealdm...Q2dm.Fun days;)

Bearclaw
04-01-10, 10:57 AM
The first one was really cool deathmatch,running around with the gauss gun rocket jumping everywhere,people yelling hacker,he can shoot through walls....LOL The gun fully charged could go through two walls:D That was my first deathmatch experience(well unrealdm...Q2dm.Fun days;)

Ya, I loved the unique levels. It seemed everyone had made a level and they were all great. What pissed me off though, was EVERYONE and their mother seemed to hack this game and it just made it crappy to play.

Redeemed
04-01-10, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I'd have to say that no game rivals any of the HL games for me. I love these games, and enjoy them, far more than any other game.

I remember counting down the days till this was released. Didn't have enough money to buy it on launch, and purposefully stayed away from any thread that might have spoilers in it. Got the game as a Christmas gift and spent the entire next day or so playing it. :lol: I also remember that, at that time, this was the only game my brand-new GFFX 5950U couldn't run 100% maxed (including AA). I was blown away by the graphics.

Man that was a lot of fun. :) Really getting stoked about EP3. :D

LydianKnight
04-01-10, 03:37 PM
this was the only game my brand-new GFFX 5950U couldn't run 100% maxed (including AA).

Yup, at that time, Valve developers were quite frustrated with NVIDIA as they had to code a specific codepath for their cards at the time, something they were complaining quite a lot, so ATI cards were heaven on earth at that time for HL2.

Times have changed, of course, but for your old card, it was quite 'normal' for you not to be able to max out the game, all NVIDIA cards of that generation were a pile of crap xD

Redeemed
04-01-10, 03:52 PM
Yup, at that time, Valve developers were quite frustrated with NVIDIA as they had to code a specific codepath for their cards at the time, something they were complaining quite a lot, so ATI cards were heaven on earth at that time for HL2.

Times have changed, of course, but for your old card, it was quite 'normal' for you not to be able to max out the game, all NVIDIA cards of that generation were a pile of crap xD

I know- but that was about the only DX9 game I had, besides Halo, back then. All my other games were DX8 or OpenGL and ran FANTASTIC on the 5950U... maxed. :D

However, I remember continually kicking my self in the rear for spending $405 on the card, shipped, when for a mere $30 more I could have had the 9800XT. :headexplode:

v3rninater
04-01-10, 04:02 PM
You all need to play HL2 with the fake factory mod, OMG, it's a totally new game, everything is a MILLION times better. It's amazing, that guy did a tremendous job making that mod!!!

Redeemed
04-01-10, 04:16 PM
You all need to play HL2 with the fake factory mod, OMG, it's a totally new game, everything is a MILLION times better. It's amazing, that guy did a tremendous job making that mod!!!

I tried loading it once- never could get it to work so I gave up.

That was quite some years ago though, so I imagine he's only improved it drastically since then. Maybe I'll give it ago. :D

wysiwyg
04-01-10, 05:00 PM
it never used to work for me but the latest one (version 10 i think) is amazingly good and stable too

JasonPC
04-01-10, 06:55 PM
Actually a great deal of the levels that were in the leaked build were in the final game, including some of the scenes in the video. They just went through a few changes that make them look a little bit unfamiliar.

I believe the intro with Barney, the sewer part with the manhacks, the gravity gun training level, some of ravenholm, and kleiner's lab, the beach level with the buggy and crane, and part the citizen level where you fight along side of the resistance were all in the leaked build in some shape or form. I seem to remember there was also talk of some system for ordering around the AI in your group which did not make it into the game except for the fact that people do follow you and heal you if they are medics.

HiCZoK4
04-03-10, 06:12 AM
yes. there was go to\folow system default by "C" key. I think...

grey_1
04-03-10, 07:31 AM
Ya, I loved the unique levels. It seemed everyone had made a level and they were all great. What pissed me off though, was EVERYONE and their mother seemed to hack this game and it just made it crappy to play.

Yeah, this applies to several games out there I would have otherwise enjoyed. Pretty much turned me off MP altogether.

WRT the tentacle scene and some others I had seen Valve stated in an interview that coding the AI for that (to fit where they needed that thing in game) just proved to problematic at the time.

I personally was very disappointed in HL2, lol as everyone here knows, but enjoyed ep1. ep2 was much, much improved imho and am hoping Valve continues that trend with ep3 - or HL3, what ever they choose to release it as.

One thing that would be rather nice - a tidbit of reliable info regarding what year they plan on releasing it. :p

TheANIMAL
04-03-10, 08:37 AM
Half Nukem Episode Forever.

FastRedPonyCar
04-04-10, 03:22 PM
I tried loading it once- never could get it to work so I gave up.

That was quite some years ago though, so I imagine he's only improved it drastically since then. Maybe I'll give it ago. :D

It's the only way I'll play the game now. It's just SOOO much better. The graphics, way increased draw distance, high res textures and amazing music and since the updated version of CM10, the terrain is also more detailed.

It's an epic mod with an equally epic file size but totally worth it IMO.