PDA

View Full Version : Inquirer very slow on the take on 5900U EVGA problem and solution?

PreservedSwine
07-17-03, 04:26 PM
According the Inq....WE NOTE THERE appears to be something rotten in the state of Denmark where Nvidia has just started shipping its Geforce FX 5900 Ultra cards.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10542

Isn't this the problem that was solved with the new BIOS EVGA released? Why isn't that even mentioned in the article????:confused: :confused:

A4EP
07-17-03, 05:00 PM
Yes, you are right the solution for the Evga problem was to flash the card back to the reference Nvidia bios. For some reason their performance bios had a few issues. Once flashed back to the nvidia 450/850 bios instead of teh automatic setting of 500/900 perofrmance bios all the problems were fixed.

As for the driver issue, well lets just put it this way, with the 44.03 drivers the card has no problems keeping up with any other card on the market. And with each and every other driver that has come out (yes they are beta) the performance and the image quality has increased significantly. So all I have to say is that with the nvidia bios set at 500/900 with coolbits and the 44.71 drivers nothing can touch this card and I have had zero problems with it and this combination.

surfhurleydude
07-17-03, 05:46 PM
My eVGA card will not run stabily at 500/900 with reference bios and 44.67 drivers. I even have a 92mm fan blowing directly on the card and it still crashes within 15 minutes of play.

RoachMojo
07-17-03, 06:08 PM
My Evga Geforce FX 5900U is also not stable with the 44.67 dets and the reference bios at 500/900. I have to drop it to 480/888.

Evga did release a new performance bios that some folks have had success with, but again, many still have problems getting the card to run stable at 500/900.

No one on the evga boards seems to know exactly what the new performance bios does, other than change the clock rates.

surfhurleydude
07-17-03, 06:14 PM
I can tell you that the new performance BIOS is certainly LESS stable than the reference BIOS when they are both clocked at 500/900...

Skinner
07-17-03, 06:23 PM
Has this performance bios more aggresive timings?

Geforce4ti4200
07-17-03, 06:27 PM
I dont get it, why release a bios to oc the cards when most cant run at that speed? youd get artifacts and lockups

A4EP
07-17-03, 06:59 PM
That's really weird that you guys can't run a stable system at the 500/900 clock rates. Mine is rock solid and I don't have any special cooling in my case or anything. As a matter of fact I only have 1 92mm fan in the case...weird.

I found eVGA's new performance bios worked better than the first but I still had odd occurances in some games, specifically Star Wars Galaxies. So I flashed back to the reference and coolbited it to 500/900. My card actually runs totally stable at 520/930 with no throttling of the GPU from overheating. I don't know, maybe there really are differences with some of the cores.

I know eVGA released their card at 500/900 because with their testing the cards ran stable at that speed so I think sticking with the refrerence bios is the best idea for now.

StealthHawk
07-17-03, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by PreservedSwine
According the Inq....

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10542

Isn't this the problem that was solved with the new BIOS EVGA released? Why isn't that even mentioned in the article????:confused: :confused:

Because the Inquirer is a joke and isn't a trustworthy news source :p

Hanners
07-18-03, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Because the Inquirer is a joke and isn't a trustworthy news source :p

The trick with The Inquirer is to be able to sort out the snippets of good information from the mass of crap they spew. ;)