PDA

View Full Version : The wait is over!

Pages : [1] 2

Rollo
04-07-10, 06:52 PM
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2065410

People are beginning to buy GTX470 and GTX480 cards at newegg and ZZF.

Time to weep ATi.

Redeemed
04-07-10, 06:58 PM

Time to weep ATi.

I wouldn't be so certain that ATi will weep. The 5800s are strong competitors. And if the GTX400 series sell well, ATi can always drop prices far lower than nVidia can.

Either way, ATi is currently in a good position.

kaptkarl
04-07-10, 07:03 PM

Time to weep ATi.

You are tooo funny.........................:p

I wouldn't have expected anything less coming form a NVidia focus group member! Bring it on! Competition is great for us consumers!!

Kapt

Viral
04-07-10, 07:05 PM
If ATI do cry, I'm sure Nvidia will have plenty of tissues to hand them, being the master of paper launches that they are.

lee63
04-07-10, 07:06 PM

Time to weep ATi.
ZZ :thumbdwn: BTW there was NO need for that weep comment Rollo...you just wanna start something don't you. One more time your gone for good, I don't care if you own NV.

That goes for anyone else....we are not going to take the childish bickering.

kaptkarl
04-07-10, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't be so certain that ATi will weep. The 5800s are strong competitors. And if the GTX400 series sell well, ATi can always drop prices far lower than nVidia can.

Either way, ATi is currently in a good position.

Yep.:D

kaptkarl
04-07-10, 07:09 PM
If ATI do cry, I'm sure Nvidia will have plenty of tissues to hand them, being the master of paper launches that they are.

:rofl

Slytat
04-07-10, 07:14 PM

Time to weep ATi.

We knew all about Fermi weeks ago :confused:

Unless Nvidia are shipping some other miracle card they didn't tell us about, I don't see what there is to be upset about.

I hope everyone who buys Fermi has a positive experience. I don't see the need for all this ill will.

JasonPC
04-07-10, 07:38 PM
Yeah remember the "we are nvidia, we do not do paper launches" what happened to that???

ragejg
04-07-10, 07:51 PM
So I surmise that this thread is about the fact that it is apparent that people are starting to actually buy these cards now. Keep the fanboy stuff to a minimum please, kthx.

omzig
04-07-10, 07:54 PM
Hey TRollo

Dont you find it funny that more ppl have voted "i will buy ATI" or "NO!" in the
Are you going to buy Fermi? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=149789on) thread than those who have voted foe a yes that they'll buy a Fermi based car?

If i was Nv seeing those kind of results on the biggest NV fans site on the web id be very worried maybe you need to round up the rest of the shills and get them to make a few more "OMFG Fermi ROCKS ATI will now die" brain washing threads.......

ragejg
04-07-10, 07:56 PM
omzig don't stir the pot any more than you already have. Did you not read the post above yours? Maybe read it again.

newparad1gm
04-07-10, 08:07 PM
I think the wait is over only for those who were lucky to get a PNY GTX 480 in the 5 minute window on Newegg or who pre-ordered from EVGA are getting their Fermis. The rest of us unwashed masses still have to wait until the April 12th general availability date, and even then I'm still crossing my fingers hoping.

Slytat
04-07-10, 08:21 PM
Both companies will continue to do well. If people were more educated about 3d gaming ATI/AMD would have real problems but alas that is not the case at the moment. The difference in 3d gaming vs 2d gaming is way more intense than the improvements made when adding a 3dFX card and having Glide . . . .people just need to see it first hand to understand. You cannot game on all the new 3d flat panel TVs with AMD/ATI . . .you just can't. With Nvidia you can play over 425 current 2d titles in amazing 3d.

I respect your opinion DB but I have to disagree (at least in my case). I really don't like 3D and I've tried it a few times. It doesn't enter into my purchasing decisions and I know I am not alone in that respect. It has nothing to do with my 'education' vis a vis 3D gaming :p

If it was a serious concern, I would have bought Fermi as opposed to going ATI this time round :)

JasonPC
04-07-10, 08:25 PM
Yeah count me in the group that doesn't think 3D is all that. It's kind of a neat novelty but it hurts my eyes after a while and I wouldn't like watching it for a prolonged amount of time. I kind of hope it's just a gimmick/fad but as long as people do enjoy it I hope it succeeds to an extent.

Slytat
04-07-10, 08:31 PM
what hardware did you test it on (monitor) and what game? Keep in mind I base my opinion on having demonstrated it to several thousand people over the last two years or so.

I believe it was a Viewsonic 22" (I'll verify that) running FEAR and COD4. The guy in question has recently bought a 40 something 3DTV as he enjoys it. I will no doubt try it out the next time I am over there.

Apart from the fact that I already look like some kind of half assed cybernetic reindeer when I am playing (Track IR, Sennheisers etc), I find it intrusive to have to wear glasses as well as the fact that it made me feel a little nauseous after 20 mins or so.

jcrox
04-07-10, 08:32 PM
I don't remember the last time a new Nvidia card was this difficult to come by. The local shop I go to that has quite a few big contracts and pretty darn good walk in business got 10 cards. I've never not been able to pick up the runner up card and they had 0 470s :(

Are they having production issues or something??

Sazar
04-07-10, 08:35 PM
what hardware did you test it on (monitor) and what game? Keep in mind I base my opinion on having demonstrated it to several thousand people over the last two years or so.

Do you NEED to have an SLi setup to run 3D surround?

-edit-

And will Nvidia continue it's lovely policy of essentially locking out competitive products by way of their "investment" in the gaming experience? You know, like with Physx and what not over the years?

newparad1gm
04-07-10, 08:37 PM
Do you NEED to have an SLi setup to run 3D surround?

Unless if you are only planning on playing on two monitors, then I think you do. Each GTX 480/470 can only support 2 displays per card.

onmikesline
04-07-10, 08:37 PM
well the good news is, Nvidia made some great Space heaters. lol what a bunch of fools. ati can get much much more power out of what they have, but it will be hot like nvidias

Slytat
04-07-10, 08:56 PM
LOL - I hear you. I played Arma II for a while my my Nvision 3dVision glasses on my 60" DLP in my GamePod chair with my Track IR on while occasionally drinking shots of Jager from my tap machine . . . .Gets a little much but then I do not get motion sickness ;)

You adjust to 3d Stereo gaming bud. Takes more than 20 minutes though.

I spend alot of time playing ArmA 2 :)

I'm not totally against 3D, just recounting my experiences thus far.

I like Nvidia, they have served me very well. I went with ATI this time and I am thouroughly impressed but that's not to say that I won't be rocking Nvidia again at some point ;)

Sazar
04-07-10, 08:58 PM
Did ATI help Nvidia with their Eyefinity technology? No?

No doubt, however you don't have to re-code games to enable Eyefinity. That was my point. I just hope that game-devs don't cripple games or orient them to only support features on one card v/s another.

From what I have been told, Nvidia does not have a mind to keep PhysX from AMD/ATI but instead wants to see it be used as an industry standard.

I guess there are different ways to look at it. I was pretty pissed when I found out I could not use my secondary card as a physx card when it worked fine before. If you want to make a standard, why lock out people who already own your product and were told that they could use their cards for this wonderous new technology? See what I mean?

You do need SLI to run three monitors with Nvidia due to having two connectors and you want SLI anyways as stereoscopic gaming means you reduce the framerate you have in 2d. If you render each frame twice instead of once logic dictates that will happen.

Cool.

My understanding is that 3-d cuts frame-rate in half, so with sli do the cards try and push the frame-rate to twice the level or do they render to each side @ the regular frame-rate?

That is the most interesting thing for me :D

Maverick123w
04-07-10, 09:07 PM
When I played around with 3d vision in my local microcenter I thought it was "neat" but not something I would ever think of investing in. IMO it's going to be a passing fad until the technology becomes more user friendly.

Not to mention the performance hit relegates it to the high-end market, so it's not going to break out to the mainstream for at least a few more gfx card generations.

That being said, I may pick up a GTX 470. It's going to be really hard for me to decide between it and the 5850.

Heinz68
04-07-10, 09:42 PM
Did ATI help Nvidia with their Eyefinity technology? No?

From what I have been told, Nvidia does not have a mind to keep PhysX from AMD/ATI but instead wants to see it be used as an industry standard.

You do need SLI to run three monitors with Nvidia due to having two connectors and you want SLI anyways as stereoscopic gaming means you reduce the framerate you have in 2d. If you render each frame twice instead of once logic dictates that will happen.

Yes you make lots of sense. NVIDIA is realy trying hard to make PhysX industry standard, that is why they're blocking even they own cards from using PhysX when ATI card is detected on the system.

More accurate would be they are trying to make it as industry standard with ATI dead.

Intel did buy HAVOK, I don't see them blocking it on AMD CPU if they did we probably would see few lawsuits.

Or what about if Intel gets half decent Graphic Card and start blocking both ATI and NVIDIA from using HAVOK. There are about 120 HAVOK PC (http://www.havok.com/index.php?page=pc)games right now.

Intel has more money than AMD and NVIDIA together, it should be easy for them to buy enough game developers to run such scheme and claim they are trying to make HAVOC industry standard as an excuse. :)

Sazar
04-07-10, 09:46 PM
I believe in SLI the cards try to push out the maximum FPS regardless of if you are using 3d stereo. 3d Stereo is 60 FPS for each eye which is why monitors must accept a native input of 120 hz.

I can't speak to what cards can and cannot be used for PhysX as that is not something I have really dealt with.

Do games have to be specially coded for 3-D or will they work by default just with Nvidia drivers and glasses and stuff?