PDA

View Full Version : Raid or Trim (SSD)?

Jon
04-08-10, 03:14 AM
So as an early bday present to myself :D I'm sitting in front of 2xIntel x25-m SSDs. My intention was to have 1 for Windows 7, 1 for my games and then a Western Digital blue 500gb for storage. However... I've just read an article about the x25-vs in raid that shows really good results... so do I:

1:- Stick with my original plan. Raid is not necessary anyway. After all, theres only so fast a cpu can load a level into memory anyway and the extra speed will just get wasted!

2:- RAID EM! But I can't trim... I'm assuming leaving my discs untrimmed only slows writes and not reads? So is it that bad?

On a sidenote. For the moment, the OS is installed on one of the SSDs. RAID is switched off. I'd like to move the hard disc ... which would mean connecting it to a different sata port on the same controller. Can I just do that without any issues?

Viral
04-08-10, 03:35 AM
Normally I'd say don't bother with RAID, but since you have two drives anyway, RAID them. The Intel controller is pretty good at reducing clutter anyway, second only to sandforce.

Your CPU is never going to be the limitation before your hard drive, you'd have to have a drive capable of transfer rates well over your memory bandwidth for that to be the case (over 7-8GB/s in your case). That said the difference for loading games will be pretty negligible. I just prefer to have one larger drive (RAID) than two smaller ones.

As for switching SATA ports, I don't know about that, but I would assume it would be ok as long as it's on the same controller. Anyway, if you're going RAID it won't be an issue since you'll have to format the drive anyhow.

Jon
04-08-10, 05:31 AM
Normally I'd say don't bother with RAID, but since you have two drives anyway, RAID them. The Intel controller is pretty good at reducing clutter anyway, second only to sandforce.

Yeah, anandtechs article mentioned about the intel controller recovering over time even without trim. http://www.anandtech.com/show/3618/intel-x25v-in-raid0-faster-than-x25m-g2-for-250/6

That said the difference for loading games will be pretty negligible. I just prefer to have one larger drive (RAID) than two smaller ones.

Whilst windows feels so much more responsive, game loads times have decreased but only by a marginal amount. So I realise raiding them won't help much or any at all... but they are so shiny and silver! But I agree on the second point, I prefer having one large drive too. At the mo I have windows 7 and 2 games on one drive and the other drive is blank but would have more games installed on it. So not really logical.

As for switching SATA ports, I don't know about that, but I would assume it would be ok as long as it's on the same controller. Anyway, if you're going RAID it won't be an issue since you'll have to format the drive anyhow.

Yeah, if I raid it, I'll have to reinstall anyway. Although... I thought it was now possible to software raid a boot drive in windows 7.

Toss3
04-08-10, 07:28 AM
I'd go with a Raid 0 array as trim only adds a minuscule performance increase while the raid adds almost twice the speed in almost everything.

DiscipleDOC
04-08-10, 08:53 AM
RAID? I thought I read somewhere that you can damage the SSD's if you RAID them....:confused:

Jon
04-08-10, 09:30 AM
RAID? I thought I read somewhere that you can damage the SSD's if you RAID them....:confused:

AFAIK they work great in Raid. The only trouble is Trim doesn't work on raided SSDs and if I understand correctly a manual trim can't be done either. Therefore performance is suposed to degrade.

Jon
04-10-10, 05:18 AM
Ok... its done... 2x X25-Ms raided. My results are for the most part great. I like having the SSDs as one disc instead of split into two. I can't seem to attach screenshots, but have run Crystal disc mark:

Seq Read from 260->450
Seq Write from 80->140
512k Read from 202->260
512k Write from 85->165

But... heres my confusion:

4k Read stays the same
4k Write only a fraction slower

4K QD32 Read has gone from 160 down to 43!
4k QD32 Write from 105 down to 80 (not too bad).

So why are the QD32 reads 1/4 of the speed now? Is that bad or just a number?

Roadhog
04-10-10, 01:20 PM
That's why I bought OCZ drives for RAID. They have a thing called Garbage Collection, which basically does the same thing as TRIM, though for RAID. It works extremely well too. My drives are 3/4 full, and they perform the same as new.

Heinz68
04-11-10, 12:51 AM
Intel released TRIM support for RAID, March 2010, works ONLY on Intel's SSD. Read bit-tech.net article (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/03/23/intel-releases-trim-for-raid/1), Google for more or read Intel's SSD Support Forum (http://communities.intel.com/community/tech/solidstate?view=discussions&start=0).

Still not sure if I'm going to get RAID on my next generation SSD Sata 3 upgrade. If I do, the reason would be more for volume than speed. The speed upgrading from the spin HD to SSD was awesome, upgrading to RAID is probably not going to be as noticeable, of-course the benchmarks will show big speed increase.

The Marvel SATA3 6Gb controller only supports two ports. See ASUS X58 Rampage III Extreme review (http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1231/2/). I like to replace my 90% full 1TB hard drive with new probably Seagate Barracuda XT 6Gb/s 2TB drive so that wont leave any room for SSD RAID.

Roadhog
04-11-10, 12:59 AM
Intel released TRIM support for RAID, March 2010, works ONLY on Intel's SSD. Read bit-tech.net article (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/03/23/intel-releases-trim-for-raid/1), Google for more or read Intel's SSD Support Forum (http://communities.intel.com/community/tech/solidstate?view=discussions&start=0).

Still not sure if I'm going to get RAID on my next generation SSD Sata 3 upgrade. If I do, the reason would be more for volume than speed. The speed upgrading from the spin HD to SSD was awesome, upgrading to RAID is probably not going to be as noticeable, of-course the benchmarks will show big speed increase.

The Marvel SATA3 6Gb controller only supports two ports. See ASUS X58 Rampage III Extreme review (http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1231/2/). I like to replace my 90% full 1TB hard drive with new probably Seagate Barracuda XT 6Gb/s 2TB drive so that wont leave any room for SSD RAID.

Actually. The article is miss leading. Still no trim for raided SSD's.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/18653
It will support TRIM with SSDs in an AHCI configuration, or with the RAID controller enabled and the SSD is used as a pass through device. An example of this use case is for users that want to use the SSD as a boot drive but still be able to RAID multiple HDDs together to allow for large protect data storage – a great use for the home theater PC. TRIM support for SSDs in a RAID configuration is under investigation and is not included in Intel® RST 9.6.

Translation: if your Intel storage controller is set to RAID mode, you'll now be able to benefit from your solid-state drive's TRIM functionality when running it alongside a RAID array comprised of mechanical drives. TRIM isn't supported for SSDs participating in a RAID array, however. Intel may add that feature in the future, but it hasn't committed to doing so.

Heinz68
04-11-10, 06:12 AM
Actually. The article is miss leading. Still no trim for raided SSD's.
Right on. Same like many more articels about the TRIM suporting SSD in RAID mode or at least heading in some of the articles, guess it creates good clicks.
Sorry me not investigating this enough, didn't think there was a need for such.

hell_of_doom227
04-20-10, 01:39 PM
I used Raid 0 with two Intel X25-M G1 but i switched to Raid 1. It is much better setup cause you still get same read speed as with Raid 0, basically you still get performance and WEI scores 7.9. I know that you're stuck only with 80gb but what is nice is that you can always unplug one SSD, trim it and put it back into raid and quickly rebuild drive.