PDA

View Full Version : 480 on the way. Power worries with 2nd card as Physx ?

turdhat
04-11-10, 10:57 AM
Guys, I am running a 280gtx(evga voltage tweaker in use) highly over clocked for air at 750/1500/1300 with a 8800gt doing Physx and it is highly overclocked as well. Sig shows other overclocking as well with a 650w antec all seems rock stable for over 2 years. I know we are all wondering if a 2nd card will help or hinder the 4xx series. Lets say it helps it. 650w antec enough to do it ?

I would think that the 2nd card isnt pulling near the juice as a phsyx card as it isnt doing any raster work. Thoughts ? I could use the 280 that will be left over. 650 might be pushing it for that though.

Revs
04-11-10, 11:14 AM
Have a look on your PSU, see how many amps it can supply at 12v, and on how many rails.

Ninja Prime
04-11-10, 01:30 PM
Theoretically it has the power, but if it was me, I would upgrade it. Its a bit iffy. Especially if you're going to use the GTX 280, then you certainly need to upgrade.

JasonPC
04-11-10, 01:42 PM
GTX 280 is WAY WAY too overkill for physx. Either sell it or use it in another system...

turdhat
04-11-10, 03:51 PM
GTX 280 is WAY WAY too overkill for physx. Either sell it or use it in another system...

I agree that it is overkill. For now. What about later ? What are the chances that Physx could become more intensive ?

Hard to say.

Ninja Prime
04-11-10, 04:37 PM
I agree that it is overkill. For now. What about later ? What are the chances that Physx could become more intensive ?

Hard to say.

Maybe in 5 years you'll need that much for phsyx... but in 5 years physx will be gone and you can buy a GT 910 with as much power for $40. ;)

JasonPC
04-11-10, 05:31 PM
I think by time you need a card that good for physx you'd be able to pick one up for cheap. I think you should cash in or put the 280 to use as it will largely be wasted for physx.

turdhat
04-11-10, 08:00 PM
I guess the best thing to do is to bench with and without a 2nd card for physx when I drop the 480 in. Batman and mirrors edge tests coming when I get it.

JasonPC
04-11-10, 08:06 PM
Why not just use the 8800?

azanon
04-14-10, 07:16 AM
Unless you're running 2560x res, you don't need a physx card with a GTX 480. Do folks not realize just how fast these cards are?

Hell, I use a 1680x monitor, 4x FSAA with transparency and ambient occlusion with a GTX 285, and it does physx just fine all by itself, even on max physx setting in Batman.

There must be some misinformation out there where folks don't realize the high end nvidia cards can serve as both a graphics card and do the physx too.

CaptNKILL
04-14-10, 07:26 AM
Unless you're running 2560x res, you don't need a physx card with a GTX 480. Do folks not realize just how fast these cards are?

Hell, I use a 1680x monitor, 4x FSAA with transparency and ambient occlusion with a GTX 285, and it does physx just fine all by itself, even on max physx setting in Batman.

There must be some misinformation out there where folks don't realize the high end nvidia cards can serve as both a graphics card and do the physx too.

The shader processors used up by Physx do not do the "rendering" of the scene, they merely process shaders. High resolution anti-aliasing performance does not rely on them. This is why you see cards like the 9600GT performing fairly well compared the 9800GT, despite having only 64SPs.

No doubt the GTX480 has a massive amount of processing power though. I don't think dedicated Physx is as necessary with one of these cards but I think it'd still improve frame rates. I wouldn't bother using a GTX 280 for it though. That just seems like a massive waste of power... and money, since you could sell that thing for a decent price still.

azanon
04-14-10, 07:32 AM
No doubt the GTX480 has a massive amount of processing power though. I don't think dedicated Physx is as necessary with one of these cards but I think it'd still improve frame rates.

Long as you got your minimums up near 60FPS, then I'd think one is GTG without the add-on physx. Surely a 480 can pull that minimum framerate off also doing the physx on resolutions of 1920x or lower in most every title.

Batman is the only fun and moderately high end game I'm aware of that makes enjoyable and heavy use of physx. Again, based on my experience with my GTX285, a GTX 480 will eat that game and it's physx at the same time for breakfast, lunch, and supper.

brunner
04-14-10, 01:17 PM
Dedicated PhysX always help even with the 480 GTX. Just look at how the 480 does on the Just Cause benchmarks. Framerates go way down once GPU physics is enabled. One 480 alone can't do 60fps on the Concrete Jungle benchmark at 19200x1200 with max settings.

Just stick with the 8800GT for PhysX though. You'll get 0 benefit from using the 280GTX instead but significantly more heat and power draw. I've benched multiple times with the 280GTX, 8800GTX and 9800 GT as a PhysX card and the results are always the same. My guess is that PhysX just doesn't stress the cards enough because they aren't doing any graphical rendering at all.

JasonPC
04-14-10, 11:32 PM
To all of those saying a GTX 480 is powerful enough to render games and run physx at the same time... you do know that people getting a 480 are likely doing so because they try to push the settings as high as they can go. There may be some games where just a 480 is fine for both. But what about Metro 2033 and other upcoming releases? You really need all the performance you can get out of games like that and no doubt lifting physx from its workload helps out.

turdhat
04-15-10, 01:57 PM
The 8800gt is going back in when I get home at 5:30 est. I will rebench and post shortly after.