PDA

View Full Version : Peak loads.

The Punisher
07-17-03, 10:48 PM
I've heard that a PSU doesn't actually pump out its max load even if its rated as such. Meaning even if a PSU states that its peak load is 420W, its actually pumping out maybe around 380W output power. Is that true? If it is, then is there a formula to calculate out a PSU's actual output? Thanx in advance guys. Any help is appreciated.

Rampant CL
07-19-03, 03:14 AM
Weeeeeeeeeell

There aren't very many ways to check if thats the case, but i can tell you this. If it is a branded PSU, then you will probably be getting the full wattage, but if it is an OEM chances are you will be getting about 15% less.

I checked my old 300W PSU by taking it into the physics lab and hooking it up to a joulemeter, it was only 270ish.

If anyone has any other methods please pass them on.

The Punisher
07-20-03, 11:41 PM
which part of the PSU did u stick the joulemeter into?

The Punisher
07-20-03, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Rampant CL
Weeeeeeeeeell

There aren't very many ways to check if thats the case, but i can tell you this. If it is a branded PSU, then you will probably be getting the full wattage, but if it is an OEM chances are you will be getting about 15% less.

I checked my old 300W PSU by taking it into the physics lab and hooking it up to a joulemeter, it was only 270ish.

If anyone has any other methods please pass them on.

Same question.