PDA

View Full Version : Alienware AW2310 120hz monitor

marty101
04-15-10, 02:25 AM
Hi guys, just bought one of these, and whilst it's a fine looking beast, it isn't working in the way I expected. I was wondering if anyone could offer any help.
To explain, I didn't buy it for 3d, but just because I wanted to run games at 120hz.
When I had my old CRT, I used to run games without vsync on the basis that if the fps were less than the refresh rate I wouldn't get tearing etc.
I'm trying to use the alienware in the same way, but I still get screen tearing even when fps are much less than the refresh rate.

Eg crysis warhead is running at about 26-30 fps but I still see tearing on the alienware if I don't have vsync on.

Am I doing something wrong or have I misunderstood how the monitor works?

For info, my graphics card is a GTX280.

Fraps confirms that the screen is running at 120hz.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Muppet
04-15-10, 02:36 AM
That's a strange one. Have you loaded the Alienware monitor drivers, or just using generic drivers.

marty101
04-15-10, 03:57 AM
Hi - thanks for the reply. I've tried with both the generic windows 7 driver, and the ones from the driver disc, but there's no difference. I think the alienware driver probably doesn't do much more than give the monitor a "name" to be honest.

I'm going to fiddle with some settings this morning and see if there's any change.

FlakMagnet
04-15-10, 05:53 AM
Hi marty. If you are running without vsync enabled, you will get tearing, regardless of the FPS and monitor refresh rate.

With vsync disabled, the graphics card will switch to the next frame as soon as it is ready to be displayed. If the card is currently in the middle of displaying the previous frame on your monitor, it switches to the new frame and you see the new frame from there onwards. This is what causes the tearing.

If you enable vsync, the graphics card will not start to display the new frame until the current frame has been completely displayed. This eliminates the tearing.

With vsync enabled, you will get a lower frame rate (because of waiting to the end of drawing the previous frame before switching to the next), but because your monitor is running at 120Hz, the time it will wait will be less than a monitor running at 60Hz.

So to fix the tearing, just enable vsync and it will go.

lee63
04-15-10, 07:55 AM
Yeah...enable vsync....I use it all the time but I hate my fps being capped at 60...I just wish they made 24 inch or bigger 120Hz LCD's.

good luck.

FlakMagnet
04-15-10, 12:00 PM
I think the Alienware and Acer monitors are 24" (well, 23.6").

The Alienware has adjustable height though which the Acer does not.

enoteware
04-15-10, 12:23 PM
Yeah...enable vsync....I use it all the time but I hate my fps being capped at 60...I just wish they made 24 inch or bigger 120Hz LCD's.

good luck.

I agree that's what I am waiting for 23 is too small for me. I'm rocking a 26 inch samsung at the moment.

marty101
04-16-10, 12:42 PM
thanks guys - looks like vsync is the way to go.

cheers

CaptNKILL
04-16-10, 01:04 PM
Download rivatuner and use D3D Overrider to force triple buffering and vsync in all games.

Vsync will get rid of tearing, triple buffering will get rid of the frame rate drops.

You can also create profiles for games or programs that don't work right with the forced settings (which are few and far between).

I've been doing this for years and its worked beautifully. :thumbsup:

Muppet
04-20-10, 02:57 AM
It is a strange one indeed. I don't use Vsync, because my Samsung is 120Hz and I don't get screen tearing. I do notice it when I have got it in the past using my 60Hz one though.

top3koms
04-20-10, 03:22 AM
I have this alienware monitor and have not seen any screen tearing without vsync.I have not used vsync since I have gone with a 120Hz monitor.

K007
04-20-10, 03:42 AM
Download rivatuner and use D3D Overrider to force triple buffering and vsync in all games.

Vsync will get rid of tearing, triple buffering will get rid of the frame rate drops.

You can also create profiles for games or programs that don't work right with the forced settings (which are few and far between).

I've been doing this for years and its worked beautifully. :thumbsup:

didn't punkbuster pick this up and ban people..

CaptNKILL
04-20-10, 05:07 AM
didn't punkbuster pick this up and ban people..

Apparently not with me. As I said, I've been using it for years. Never had a problem. :)

Muppet
04-20-10, 05:25 AM
Apparently not with me. As I said, I've been using it for years. Never had a problem. :)

I always used it myself up until the 120Hz Samsung came out. It really did work a treat.