PDA

View Full Version : Will Alan Wake be my first 360 purchase of 2010

Pages : [1] 2

tornadog
04-16-10, 12:17 PM
Will it finally come out next month? Surprisingly not much done in terms of marketing for such a huge title. Am I missing something or is MS not expecting much from the game??

Destroy
04-17-10, 09:02 AM
Silent Hill clone FTL.

Toss3
04-17-10, 01:26 PM
Silent Hill clone FTL.

Doesn't look like silent hill at all. Besides Silent Hill sucks.

backfiggen
04-18-10, 10:12 AM
The games already gone gold so yes it should come out next month.

Silent Hill clone FTL.
:|
Besides Silent Hill sucks.
:headexplode:

Tuork
04-18-10, 03:55 PM
I've had my eye on this for a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

I'll wait and read reviews first, but from what I've heard so far it looks to be pretty sweet.

FastRedPonyCar
04-30-10, 08:07 AM
The email I got yesterday from gametrailers.com says next month they will have an official GT review. i'm tentatively interested. I'll most definitely wait to read/watch reviews before buying.

It looks like one of those games that I'll spend hours on and since there's only one big TV in the house, my time on it is precious when competing with the wife and I want to make sure it'll be worth my time.

It's got a long list of games to get behind though. I still haven't gone through all the extra challenge modes in GOW3, I've got uncharted 2 and killzone 2 unopened waiting to play as well as assassin's creed II AND top gear seasons 10, 11 and 12 on DVD to watch.

S.I.N
04-30-10, 01:56 PM
Its either this or Red Dead Redemption for me but I leaning towards Red because I'm sure it will be longer. If so I will catch it in the fall with a price drop.

|MaguS|
05-05-10, 07:10 AM
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-alan-wake/17-2431/

Eh looks great and like tons of fun but I cant help think that they just dropped the ball short of it being a truly great title.

Very linear (not a huge complaint) but combat is really heavy with tons of ammo available and enemies not being difficult to kill (what happened to the survival horror?) it just seems off from what they originally pitched.

Toss3
05-05-10, 01:04 PM
Gametrailers' review is out.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-alan-wake/65250?type=flv

Seems pretty decent, but 6 hours? :( At least it looks pretty darned good.

Mr. Hunt
05-05-10, 01:56 PM
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-alan-wake/17-2431/

Eh looks great and like tons of fun but I cant help think that they just dropped the ball short of it being a truly great title.

Very linear (not a huge complaint) but combat is really heavy with tons of ammo available and enemies not being difficult to kill (what happened to the survival horror?) it just seems off from what they originally pitched.

Agreed. I started watching that quick look last night and got bored... I like the atmosphere... but the gameplay just doesn't look as good as it could have been.

HiCZoK4
05-05-10, 03:35 PM
I am actually hyped much about this. Hiantbomb quick looks looks great. Just as I would expect it to be. Also it is 83 on metacritic which is very nice:) WAITING is killing me!

NarcissistZero
05-05-10, 03:58 PM
The Kotaku review acts like this is the second coming of Jesus... most others seem rather "good not great" about it.

Not tempting me to steal my girl's Xbox at the moment.

Mr. Hunt
05-05-10, 06:22 PM
The Kotaku review acts like this is the second coming of Jesus... most others seem rather "good not great" about it.

Not tempting me to steal my girl's Xbox at the moment.

Remedy probably sent the people at Kotaku some items. I hate that reviewers are swayed by such things, but it happens.

JasonPC
05-15-10, 12:53 AM
It looks like they really had to castrate this game to get it to run ok on the xbox. 540p with 4x MSAA, capped at 30 fps with plenty dips in the mid 20s as soon as any action starts on the screen. There's been some disagreements on whether it's 540p or 720p but from some rather in-depth investigations it looks like it is 540p.

It's like they wanted to sell this game part on its technological accomplishment but it had to be hindered to get it to run right on the xbox. I really wish it would come out on PC if for any other reason just to see all what Remedy was trying to push in its full glory.

jlippo
05-15-10, 02:25 AM
After a while playing it is an athmospheric game, but I most likely would have preferred the original more free version of it.
I hope there is possibility to roam around that little city later in the game. :)

DansFace
05-17-10, 03:17 PM
I haven't noticed any dips when the frame rate drops that low... Game play is fast and flows very nicely. The resolution is on the low side but once you get used to it.. its a very creepy game.
Story telling is done just as good as mass effect 2.

DansFace
05-17-10, 03:19 PM
After a while playing it is an athmospheric game, but I most likely would have preferred the original more free version of it.
I hope there is possibility to roam around that little city later in the game. :)

meh free roam games don't do it for me... I get too adhd or something.. never seem to finish them

tornadog
05-17-10, 06:11 PM
I agree with Dansface, linear, short atmospheric games is what i cherish. I am glad more games are going that way too :)

jAkUp
05-24-10, 02:55 AM
This game is really good, shame it didn't make it to the PC. I am really hooked, really feels like a Remedy game.

Muppet
05-24-10, 03:32 AM
This game is really good, shame it didn't make it to the PC. I am really hooked, really feels like a Remedy game.

Agreed. I was really looking forward to this on the PC. Such a shame the canned it.

FastRedPonyCar
05-24-10, 08:48 AM
It's pretty good so far. Not very far into it though. I'm in the stuckey area.

the atmosphere they've created is extremely impressive and pretty creepy.

honestly however, I think that they promised too much too soon way back when we first saw the game. Yes this is a good game and yes it's entertaining but the animations (particularly facial animations) are hilariously bad and everyone's got that stiff mannequin like movement about them. Not smooth and fluid at all really. Alan's is decent but the rest of the animations are lacking.

I also think that all the voice acting is over acted.. if that makes any sense. It's similar to how the max payne games had that overly embellished style of narrative. It's eloquent on the surface but has little substance a lot of the time.

I think I made the mistake of getting Alan wake and Red Dead Redemption on the same day. I played maybe an hour of alan wake before popping RDR in and I've been glued to RDR ever since. It feels like a much more polished game as far as the writing and voice acting goes. Also, the character animations are amazing.

nekrosoft13
05-24-10, 08:58 AM
Agreed. I was really looking forward to this on the PC. Such a shame the canned it.

when MS had them by their cojones, they had no choice

Destroy
05-24-10, 10:31 AM
Some reports suggest the sales aren't so good so maybe we'll get it on PC in a year or 2.(nana2) Least I hope so.

|MaguS|
05-26-10, 10:38 PM
http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/news/article/12302/Alan-Wake-fails-to-ignite-the-charts.htm

Seems like the game is off to a bad start in Europe. It has only been able to shift 88K units in the two weeks since its launch which is pretty weak. Yes its a new IP but in comparison Heavy Rain sold 272K units in a few days after its release in Europe.

Mr. Hunt
05-27-10, 12:54 AM
Maybe because the game ended up not being anything like originally thought. I never play my 360, but if this looked anywhere near as good as I thought back when it was announced years and years ago, I would have still bought it.