PDA

View Full Version : Need a new less power hungry video card

Rakeesh
04-19-10, 12:32 PM
I'm tired of my PC being a space heater during the summer, which is rapidly approaching, and the video card (8800GTS 640MB) is the main reason why. Now keep in mind I'm not looking for a cooling solution - all that does is move the heat from point a to point b, it doesn't get rid of the heat. Only way to do that is to produce less heat to begin with.

So that said I'm looking for a modern (at least twice as fast as my 8800GTS, if not faster) video card that doesn't produce as much heat. So far I'm looking at the Radeon HD 5770, which uses smaller transistors and definitely consumes less power. Any other ideas?

ragejg
04-19-10, 12:40 PM
It'd sure be nice if they made HTPC editions of high end or at least performance mainstream cards. I'd really like to quiet my living room down, and it'd be nice to have my media PC be silent. I'm not sure, however that I can coax silence out of a 3-core Athlon II and a 4850 though. :p

Rakeesh
04-19-10, 12:46 PM
I'm just tired of all of the heat the damn thing produces. My ceiling fan drowns out all of the noise the PC makes by far, so any noise it makes below say 30db (which most of the components do) is irrelevant.

Right now I'm using a core 2 quad 6700 CPU which doesn't produce a lot of heat surprisingly, unless I OC the crap out of it. Just the 8800gts produces a TON of heat. In fact when my room gets hot enough (say around 85F, which is common in phoenix arizona) the system will tend to crash because the video card gets too hot.

I crank the AC up now and then to compensate, but it gets expensive. Thus, I want to avoid that. I don't really care about getting 120FPS in the latest games either; 60 will do.

ragejg
04-19-10, 12:52 PM
What resolution do you game at?

Redeemed
04-19-10, 12:54 PM
I think the 5770 or even 5750 would be a good alternative. :)

Rakeesh
04-19-10, 12:58 PM
What resolution do you game at?

1920x1080

ragejg
04-19-10, 01:01 PM
I'd wait until June for the mainstream fermi cards, they could have the jump on ATI as far as heat/power consumption.

Redeemed
04-19-10, 01:12 PM
I'd wait until June for the mainstream fermi cards, they could have the jump on ATI as far as heat/power consumption.

:lol:

I'd honestly not wait for the mainstream fermi cards- how about waiting untill ATi's next generation comes out later this year? If you're gonna' wait, what's a few more months? :lol:

However, I still think that if you are happy with the performance a 640MB 8800GTS offers @ that resolution, a 5750 would be far more than sufficient. :)

Rakeesh
04-19-10, 03:10 PM

Won't pretty much all fermi cards still be power hogs though, even in the lower end?

However, I still think that if you are happy with the performance a 640MB 8800GTS offers @ that resolution, a 5750 would be far more than sufficient. :)

Pretty much. I don't use FSAA (don't really need it at higher resolutions IMO) so it should run well IMO. My budget would be around $200, and the 5770 is $140 in some cases.

Rakeesh
04-24-10, 04:40 PM
I picked up a 5770 at Fry's Electronics for $145 after taxes and rebate, pretty good deal, but...

I'm having a problem with this card in XBMC. If I try to use the GLSL renderer, I don't get any video, instead I have to use the basic renderer. Also VDPAU color conversion doesn't seem to work. Apparently these are common issues with ATI cards. Anybody know of any workarounds?

Given I bought this card locally I might just return it if not. This card runs nice and cool though, and I want another one that runs on as low power as this one does. Anybody know of any good nvidia cards that run as fast and cool as this one does?

CaptNKILL
04-24-10, 05:50 PM
The GTX 260 is actually a pretty cool running card, and would perform a bit better than a 5770 in most cases. It doesn't use DX11, but there aren't any nvidia options that do other than the 470 and 480.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2856/13

EDIT: Damn, these things are $50 more than they were a few months ago. I forgot about that. A 260 costs as much now as it did in November of 2008 when I bought mine. :o

darkrider01
04-24-10, 07:01 PM
With my previous GTX 280 FTW, I would just use rivatuner and underclock it when I wasn't playing games. It runs extremely cool and quiet when you have you have the core set to like 300MHz.

Rakeesh
04-24-10, 08:36 PM
I want it to run cool even under load though. I just hate the fact that while I'm playing games my computer turns into a space heater with high end cards. For that alone I am going to stop buying them. So far the 5770 is great at that, but its drivers leave a bit to be desired.

Redeemed
04-25-10, 12:18 AM
I want it to run cool even under load though. I just hate the fact that while I'm playing games my computer turns into a space heater with high end cards. For that alone I am going to stop buying them. So far the 5770 is great at that, but its drivers leave a bit to be desired.

I think you already own the best card for what you're after... at the moment nVidia has nothing to compete in that price range. :lol:

nekrosoft13
04-25-10, 01:14 PM
I picked up a 5770 at Fry's Electronics for $145 after taxes and rebate, pretty good deal, but...

I'm having a problem with this card in XBMC. If I try to use the GLSL renderer, I don't get any video, instead I have to use the basic renderer. Also VDPAU color conversion doesn't seem to work. Apparently these are common issues with ATI cards. Anybody know of any workarounds?

ATI cards are horrible with DXVA support in most software, only one workaround exist, buy NVIDIA card if you want to use DXVA with no issues.

have same issues with my ATI powered HTPC, will be buying Geforce GT240 probably tomorrow, i put of this purchase for far to long

crainger
04-25-10, 05:29 PM
Far to long. ATI are awful for HTPC.

Rakeesh
04-26-10, 12:15 AM
Well is nvidia coming out with any mid-range (e.g. $150-$200) low power consumption cards anytime soon? By soon I mean within one to two months.

nekrosoft13
04-26-10, 12:27 AM
mid-range fermi (not sure about price) is rumored to arrive around June.

i'm planning to buy a evga gt240 for my HTPC, so that should give me 90days step up, I hope that will allow me to step up

Rakeesh
04-26-10, 12:32 AM
mid-range fermi (not sure about price) is rumored to arrive around June.

i'm planning to buy a evga gt240 for my HTPC, so that should give me 90days step up, I hope that will allow me to step up

Any speculation as to how much wattage they'll use at load? I don't want to exceed 120 watts. The 5770 runs at a cool 93-108 watts at load. I'm assuming if they don't shrink the fermi die then it'll be a space heater just like my 8800gts was.