PDA

View Full Version : Clocks speeds and alt-tab

Roliath
04-23-10, 12:48 AM
EVERYTIME i alt-tab out of wow or any other game, when I enter back in my clock speeds are lowered to 2d speeds (400mhz). This pretty much leaves any game unplayable (surprised) and I am forced to reboot as the cards will never kick back up to 3d speeds.

I have maximum performance selected in the drivers' profile (globally) and this still happens.
I'm running the latest 197. drivers from Nvidia's site.

Any ideas?

edit: i've re-installed already and I have a purchased copy of driver cleaner pro.

betterdan
04-23-10, 01:52 AM
Happens to me sometimes too. I haven't found a way to reset it so games will use 3d speeds without rebooting.

t3hl33td4rg0n
04-23-10, 02:58 AM
What about enabling overclocking, change the clock speeds, then reset them back to default?

Roliath
04-23-10, 03:21 AM
What about enabling overclocking, change the clock speeds, then reset them back to default?

I've tried this and still the same result. Nothing I have tried will enable 3d clocks, I am forced to reboot.

betterdan
04-23-10, 05:05 AM
I tried resetting stock clocks to normal, changing a 3d setting then changing it back etc. Still have to reboot to get 3d clocks back.

t3hl33td4rg0n
04-23-10, 05:27 AM
Hmm, what about restarting the "NVIDIA Display Driver Service" in services.msc?

Roliath
04-25-10, 04:05 PM
Well my screen turned black while raiding, and i died.
When it came back, my clocks speeds were at 400mhz (on all three cards).
I alt-tabbed but my desktop never showed up, screen was black and than it said "no signal." I was forced to reboot, I wish windows had better logging because there is nothing in the event viewer indicating any errors.

Roliath
05-30-10, 10:56 PM
So i re-installed from scratch yesterday. Latest drivers all around.
Played ten minutes of RE5 (no overclocks on cards) and bam after one of the loading screen, all three cards were at 400mhz. I force fans with precision to 100% on all cards.
No OC like I said, in nvcp I have it listed at maximum performance (globally, and I created an re5 profile).
Still downclocks, restarting services doesn't help. I am "forced" to reboot.

If this continues, i'm just gonna flash my 2d speeds to match my 3d speeds.

WeReWoLf
05-30-10, 11:31 PM
I get the same problem, but only after the nvklddm (or whatever the damn thing is called) stops responding. Thankfully it's not very often.

ragingWS6
05-31-10, 11:08 AM
Does it to me with the 257.15 drivers as well. Only reason I knew the other night was thanks to EVGA Precision. Rebooting resolves the issue.

saturnotaku
06-01-10, 06:03 AM
Edit nvm

grey_1
06-01-10, 11:39 AM
I'm using the 257.15s also, and can't alt-tab. Games will minimize, but not maximize, but I never thought to check clock speeds. I don't have much occasion to alt-tab though, so may just leave it as is until the next driver release.

agentkay
06-01-10, 03:47 PM
I can alt-tab just fine, clock speeds drop obviously but when im back in the game it goes back to 3D clocks, proven by looking at the log of MSI Afterburner app. There might be some games that don't like alt-tab at all and don't properly initialize/restart the games renderer. 257.15 drivers, but also 197.41 and 197.75 worked for me like that.