PDA

View Full Version : Any good drivers for GF4 FSAA?


Convergence
07-19-03, 08:21 AM
I'm just wondering which drivers I should use for the best FSAA on a GF4 Ti... Currently I'm using the 44.03s and the result isn't so great..

http://www.starshadow.com/~pupstah/small4x.jpg

Edit: I forgot to note, that's 4X with the slider set to Quality

StealthHawk
07-19-03, 08:29 PM
FSAA quality is not something that drivers have improved. So...any driver should look the same.

APEXNETHOR
07-20-03, 01:03 AM
I was wondering the same thing myself ever since I installed these 44.3 dets I swear it seems like the FSAA quality on my GF 4 Ti4600 isn't quite up to par with how it looked previously with 40.72 Dets FSAA quality? Infact 2xFSAA compared to 4xFSAA in some games looks almost indentical now?

Anybody esle seem to notice this as well?:confused:

Convergence
07-20-03, 02:29 AM
Well, I gave FSAA Tester a try. Unfortunately, on near horizontal lines like in that pic, 2x and 4x looks almost exactly the same.

Quincunx actually does a better job than 4x on those, but at the cost of blurring.

4xS does a bit better job, but the performance hit is quite large.

and the hidden 4x 9-tap seems to do the best job, but the performance hit seems to be similar to 4xS.

I was wondering if maybe the 30.82s were any better at this, but if what StealthHawk says is right, I won't bother switching.

BigFish7
07-20-03, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Convergence
Well, I gave FSAA Tester a try. Unfortunately, on near horizontal lines like in that pic, 2x and 4x looks almost exactly the same.

Quincunx actually does a better job than 4x on those, but at the cost of blurring.

4xS does a bit better job, but the performance hit is quite large.

and the hidden 4x 9-tap seems to do the best job, but the performance hit seems to be similar to 4xS.

I was wondering if maybe the 30.82s were any better at this, but if what StealthHawk says is right, I won't bother switching.

maybe it's not aplaying 4X but 2X,resulting in a driver bug :) and from the picture above it seems that there is a bug (it isn't 4X)


p.s just install the latest 44.71WHQL or 44.90 beta they should fix some bug surely and if it's a bug then it might have been fixed in the new sets.
moreover the 4X 9-tap is same as Quincunx yet on a 4X base (not 2X base).
btw i think you should do a freash format it might be an old reg of somekind which I)@(#@#t he things for you... resulting in a wrong AA pattern

Convergence
07-20-03, 07:44 AM
Well, I went and installed the 44.71's, but it still seems to have the problem you're talking about BigFish.

No FSAA (http://www.starshadow.com/~pupstah/0x.jpg)
2x FSAA (http://www.starshadow.com/~pupstah/2x.jpg)
Quincunx (http://www.starshadow.com/~pupstah/3x.jpg)
4x FSAA (http://www.starshadow.com/~pupstah/4x.jpg)
and
2x vs 4x Image Rollover (http://www.starshadow.com/~pupstah/fsaa.htm)

the 4x seems to be no different than 2x on the horizontal and vertical lines, but improves the angles inbetween. :confused:

It's very noticable when moving, almost looks like it's doing nothing at all on the near horizontal / vertical.

Note: yeah, I know it shakes a bit on the mouseover, I couldnt get it quite perfect, but it's still good enough to see that 2x and 4x are nearly the same for whatever reason.

saturnotaku
07-20-03, 08:58 AM
The lack of difference between 4x and 2x is a problem with NVIDIA's chosen AA method. This is something no driver is going to fix. You're better off using 2x or Quincux because the performance hit with anything higher doesn't justify the performance hit.

Now this is if you're playing FPS games. If you're playing more of action/adventure games where frame rate isn't everything you may want to drop your resolution a notch and use 4xS, which really is the best mode on NVIDIA cards. Too bad the performance hit is so great, I really notice it even on my 5900. :(

phial
07-20-03, 10:35 AM
ive noticed this as well


4x AA looks no better than 2x AA



and quincunx or how ever you spell it, is just too fuzzy. id rather have crisp text than medicore antialiasing

saturnotaku
07-20-03, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by phial
and quincunx or how ever you spell it, is just too fuzzy. id rather have crisp text than medicore antialiasing

Have you tried using the texture sharpening option when using Quincux? I've noticed that text isn't nearly as fuzzy if you enable this (or any degree of anisotropic filtering).

BigFish7
07-20-03, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Convergence
Well, I went and installed the 44.71's, but it still seems to have the problem you're talking about BigFish.

No FSAA (http://www.starshadow.com/~pupstah/0x.jpg)
2x FSAA (http://www.starshadow.com/~pupstah/2x.jpg)
Quincunx (http://www.starshadow.com/~pupstah/3x.jpg)
4x FSAA (http://www.starshadow.com/~pupstah/4x.jpg)
and
2x vs 4x Image Rollover (http://www.starshadow.com/~pupstah/fsaa.htm)

the 4x seems to be no different than 2x on the horizontal and vertical lines, but improves the angles inbetween. :confused:

It's very noticable when moving, almost looks like it's doing nothing at all on the near horizontal / vertical.

Note: yeah, I know it shakes a bit on the mouseover, I couldnt get it quite perfect, but it's still good enough to see that 2x and 4x are nearly the same for whatever reason.

it should have no dif on these angles that's the problem of nv's AA (-30) - 30 & 150-210 + 75-105 & 255 - 295.
my favorite is nv's 4 9tap or 4XS you get big peformance hit yet it's great iQ for geforce4 i wouldn't go higher then 4X...
to me " in game " IQ (when thing are moving) seems to be great and i like it...
so just pick whatever you like...

phial
07-20-03, 11:37 AM
still, even with 4x AA i can notice no difference on horizontal jaggies compared to no AA


so running with AA makes no difference

Filibuster
07-20-03, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by saturnotaku
The lack of difference between 4x and 2x is a problem with NVIDIA's chosen AA method.

Yeah, and unfortunately the horizontal/vertical lines bother me the most... :(

This page shows it off the best (that I've seen)
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDcyLDY=

The horizontal lines on the UT2003 shots are the best example to me...

the shots at the top of the page show exactly why Ati is different than Nvidia in this feature, it's where they take the samples from that makes the difference. Hopefully they will make this better in the NV40.

phial
07-20-03, 07:07 PM
every day, NV gives me plain examples of why their cards are NOT teh best on the market. id rather have my old 8500le in my box (fried the ram on it.. voltmeter gave me a lower value than what i had actualy set it for.. zap. no more 8500le heheh)


this actually comes across as a lie to me, because one of the features this card is advertised as having, doesnt work.



"multisampling FSAA with minimal performance hit!"

fvkc that, id rather have supersampling FSAA that actually removes jaggies. what a jip

APEXNETHOR
07-20-03, 08:05 PM
I went back to the 40.72 Dets and the problem with 2xAA versus 4xAA sampling on straight vertical and horizontal edges is gone. The AA is performing the way it should once again. So this is definitely a Detonator FX driver thing so far from what I can tell with using my GF 4 Ti4600 card at least.

unfortunetly it would seem that Nvidia needs to get off of this Benchmark performance game and get back to the basics and make some real driver support.:(

combat_wombat
07-20-03, 09:15 PM
I had the same problem with my gf4, the 41.09's solved the fsaa issue. my gf fx5900 doesn't have the problem with the same games, so hmmmmmm. silly nvidia, tricks :afro2: are for kids

phial
07-20-03, 10:19 PM
thanks!!

ill install the 40.72 drivers when i get home




i NEED Fsaa for the game i play alot, called Anarchy Online, as theres alot of VERY open landscapes with detailed distant terrain. and sinse i play at 1024x768 on my 17" monitor ...Fsaa is a must have

thanks again!

APEXNETHOR
07-20-03, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by phial
thanks!!

ill install the 40.72 drivers when i get home

i NEED Fsaa for the game i play alot, called Anarchy Online, as theres alot of VERY open landscapes with detailed distant terrain. and sinse i play at 1024x768 on my 17" monitor ...Fsaa is a must have

thanks again!
Yeah I hear ya bud Im the same way as well as I need at least 2xaa in some games I play at a 1024x768 res, or at 1280x1024 res. But for some reason I found that with the 44.03 Det's they just were not applying any AA at all practically on the Horizontal and vertical edges as they should of been and that really annoyed me alot!:mad: But all is well now that I went back to the old 40.72 Dets AA is back on track thank goodness.:D

phial
07-21-03, 03:48 AM
im just worried about issues with the games i have, sinse they are quite old drivers.

time will tell

=)

Convergence
07-21-03, 07:47 AM
Anyone who seems to have it working any better wanna post some screenshots?

Pretty close to just giving up on it :mad:, but I'll grasp at straws if it does seem to be working somewhat better for others.

phial
07-25-03, 12:29 AM
the 40.72 drvers fix it great


ill post screen shots when i get home


Anarchy Online has problems with it tho. fixes FSAA, but theres texture problems wiht those drivers.... sux!

APEXNETHOR
08-04-03, 11:41 PM
Yeah the 40.72's worked the best for my Ti4600 in the past problem free so I just went back to them. Hopfully the next Nvidia Detonator drivers to come out on their site will correct alot of the isssues and give us the option for actuall full Trilliniar filtering, and make the Nvidia Tri/Bi AF methode a selectable option and not being forced as well. ;)