PDA

View Full Version : Apple Cinema Displays and PCs

KarenH
07-19-03, 12:01 PM
To anyone thinking of running an Apple Cinema Display with your PC - please, do yourself a favour, read this story of Apple's approach to hardware faults with their displays when used with PCs...

http://www.curlypaws.com/advice1.html

The Baron
07-19-03, 01:09 PM
Ouch. Yes, sue them for all their worth.

Another reason why I hate Apple... they try to keep proprietary hardware proprietary to force you to buy their entire line when you just want one thing.

Nephilim
07-19-03, 06:32 PM
Uhh...this had nothing to do with Apple.

This was clearly an issue with a 3rd party retailer and Apple isn't at fault here. Also, if they didn't want you to use an Apple display with a PC, they why does Apple provide the tools to do it?

Now this article does say that there have been problems with Apple Cinema Displays, which I have heard nothing about until now (note: events in the article take place in the UK), but that doesn't really mean anything.

Want a piece of advice? If you want an Apple Display, GET THE DAMNED WARRANTY.....just like with any PC manufacturer. Apple is good in this respect because if you have the warranty they will usually fix or replace faulty items no questions asked.

KarenH
07-19-03, 07:05 PM
Apple Cinema Displays:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20030714082607962&query=backlight

and in the Apple Forums:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@167.xkCIaVNhbGZ.8@.3bb90097

This is for the Studio Display, but there are a number in the 20" and 23" display forums too - Apple's moderators were deleting posts in the 20" forums for a while.

This isn't so much about warranties as about an item that is faulty from new. You can't actually buy an extended warranty on an Apple display unless you buy it along with a Power Mac - Apple just won't sell you one.

Nephilim
07-20-03, 04:24 PM
That's very very odd.

I'll have to keep my eyes on this and see what happens.

vampireuk
07-21-03, 08:21 AM
Want a piece of advice? If you want an Apple Display, GET THE DAMNED WARRANTY.....just like with any PC manufacturer. Apple is good in this respect because if you have the warranty they will usually fix or replace faulty items no questions asked.

How crap that you have to get a warranty to have it replaced. Hell I don't even need a receipt to get anything replaced that goes wrong with my system. The monitor dies, IIyama deliver a new one and take the old one within days. Hardrive dead? No problem I'll just send it back and they will send me a new one. PC manufacturers rock because they won't end up charging you more cash for a worthless bit of paper that says "warranty".

Riptide
07-21-03, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by vampireuk
How crap that you have to get a warranty to have it replaced. Hell I don't even need a receipt to get anything replaced that goes wrong with my system. The monitor dies, IIyama deliver a new one and take the old one within days. Hardrive dead? No problem I'll just send it back and they will send me a new one. PC manufacturers rock because they won't end up charging you more cash for a worthless bit of paper that says "warranty".
What I would like to know is when they will start selling something other than junk. My friend just upgraded to a new abit ic7 w/mushkin memory. Both high quality components. So far:
1) The northbridge fan fell off the ic7.
2) The mushkin came defective and had to be xchanged (failed memtest 86).

I myself:
1) p4s8x fiasco (thanks asus, for that one)
2) ocz memory didn't work with my intel motherboard

These are just recent problems, I have a history a mile long if you really want to see it. It's ridiculous how many stupid incompatibility problems there are out there and how likely it seems you are to get defective items. Junk, I tell you! Or at the least, *very* finicky. :)

The Baron
07-21-03, 10:03 AM
Meh, the only thing I can remember for me personally (except the suckage that is the KT266) is this POS Antec PSU that I need to RMA.

Going to call them in an hour and a half... that'll be FUN.

vampireuk
07-21-03, 12:47 PM
Well I've never had any odd problems that that, but as I said thankfully they have a very easy replacement policy:)

The Baron
07-21-03, 12:49 PM
Going to RMA at Newegg instead of Antec.

Read the warranty again carefully, and they specifically state that they are liable neither to the purchaser or to a third party for damage that results from its use.

So GAH. Bastards cheated me out of $70.

Nephilim
07-21-03, 02:28 PM

That so? And when does that run out? 90 days, a year? I have not heard of ANY PC manufacturer giving lifetime warranties for anything and definitely not for free.

Riptide
07-21-03, 02:33 PM
I could be wrong but I think APC has lifetime warranties on some of their UPS equipment. The backUPS pro 650 I have is one of the best purchases I ever made. Keeps on ticking ...

vampireuk
07-22-03, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Nephilim
That so? And when does that run out? 90 days, a year? I have not heard of ANY PC manufacturer giving lifetime warranties for anything and definitely not for free.

The cover that iiayama gave us on the older monitor was 2 years. 3 years later the moitor breaks, what happens? Iiayama turn up with a new model of that monitor and take the old one away:p

Nephilim
07-22-03, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
I could be wrong but I think APC has lifetime warranties on some of their UPS equipment. The backUPS pro 650 I have is one of the best purchases I ever made. Keeps on ticking ...

Ahh, yes, but UPS's are a different piece of equipment alltogether.

Nephilim
07-22-03, 03:45 PM
The cover that iiayama gave us on the older monitor was 2 years. 3 years later the moitor breaks, what happens? Iiayama turn up with a new model of that monitor and take the old one away:p

Sounds like you got lucky on that one.

Riptide
07-22-03, 04:59 PM
Ahh, yes, but UPS's are a different piece of equipment alltogether.
True, but I believe that there are some lifetime warranties out there on video cards as well. But ofcourse, who really keeps their video cards for more than 3 years anyway right? :)

The Baron
07-22-03, 05:28 PM
I've got three years on my case and PSU, which is more than enough, and at least a year on my motherboard. Not sure.

Of course, I have no warranty on my processor anymore ;)

vampireuk
07-22-03, 07:07 PM
Sounds like you got lucky on that one.

Nah iiyama support is godlike:D