PDA

View Full Version : Study claims PC Games account for 16% of Game Revenue

Pages : [1] 2 3

|MaguS|
05-10-10, 08:29 PM
According to a new study released today from Newzoo, 16 percent of all game-based revenues went to PC games (about $4.15 million) compared to 60 percent from consoles (the study didn't break down specific console revenues). MMO games were seen as a separate category from PC games (even though the vast majority are based on the PC platform) and account for another 8 percent of total revenues or $2.12 million.

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/05/10/study-claims-pc-games-represent-16-percent-of-total-us-game-reve/

Most interesting fact is that even an Europe the percentage of revenue is still pretty low, with only Germany having over 1/4 of the Game Revenue come from PC. So next time you wonder why PC Gaming is getting the short end of the stick, remember how much income developers/publishers actually make off the platform.

lIqUID
05-10-10, 08:58 PM
consoles are for 13 year olds /thread

Destroy
05-10-10, 09:08 PM
So 60% split 5 ways(360,DS,PSP,Wii,PS3) comes out to only 12% per console, even less than PC. /thread

mojoman0
05-10-10, 09:11 PM
If you make a game for the xbox 360 I wonder if its cheaper/easier to make it for PC or PS3

CaptNKILL
05-10-10, 09:22 PM
So 60% split 5 ways(360,DS,PSP,Wii,PS3) comes out to only 12% per console, even less than PC. /thread

This.

JasonPC
05-10-10, 09:54 PM

I don't know about you but I have the xstationii lite portable :p

jAkUp
05-10-10, 11:13 PM
For some reason the PC is always put up against all the consoles combined.

It really should be compared PC vs. PS3, or PC vs. XBox360 or even PC vs. Wii, that would be a more fair comparison IMO.

Rakeesh
05-10-10, 11:29 PM
That's a good point. But I think they would counter it by saying how easy it is to make cross platform console games versus PC. Whether true or not, that would be the reply.

Then technically you could count the xbox 360 and the PC as being the same platform. Porting a game from the xbox 360 to windows is very trivial. The same can't be said about porting from the 360 to a PS3 or the wii.

Kaguya
05-11-10, 12:21 AM

Additionally I have serious doubts that those numbers represent anything other than Retail PC Game sales... Digital Distribution, Micro-Transaction and Subscription moneys are certainly not represented in that 12%.

Noriega
05-11-10, 12:28 AM
Wow Magus, word "douchebag" gets a whole new meaning when you post here.

nekrosoft13
05-11-10, 12:40 AM

excactly, why do they always lump all these kids toys together.

Viral
05-11-10, 12:49 AM
I have a feeling PC would hold its own against PS3 or 360 on their own. Sure, the big games sell more on the consoles, but there are many games that sell well on PC that don't sell well or don't exist on consoles.

The question of whether they included digital distribution is very valid too.

Noriega
05-11-10, 01:09 AM
excactly, why do they always lump all these kids toys together.

and why they separate each other when it comes to which games looks better on PS3 or PROD_box :headexplode:

Buio
05-11-10, 02:10 AM
I'd bet that almost all of those 8% MMO income is from PC too, so why is that a separate tab? Split up the consoles income and add the MMO to PC, and things look very different.

I've changed the header on that report to suit it better;
Study made by idiots claims PC games represent 16 percent of total US game revenues

Ninja Prime
05-11-10, 03:34 AM
Wow Magus, word "douchebag" gets a whole new meaning when you post here.

Because he posted the news? Yeah, ok. Douche.

Gaco
05-11-10, 03:59 AM
Is there any sign this is not just another study that totally neglects the sales off digital distribution (Steam etc.)? I haven't bought more than a few PC games retail the past few years, but more than a dozen off Steam, likewise for many of my friends.

The news article doesn't mention this, so unless we hear otherwise, I declare the study useless (nana2)

Mr. Hunt
05-11-10, 04:27 AM
If it did or didn't include digital distribution might not change much since then they would need to also show XBLA, PSN, and Wii shop or whatever.

K007
05-11-10, 05:35 AM
lmao..i love how it doesn't split the 60%.

:headexplode: failed statistics...

thread should be locked for ****ty troll thread.

nekrosoft13
05-11-10, 08:11 AM
Study shows that 5 major Asian car makers sell more cars then 1 major European car maker.

nekrosoft13
05-11-10, 08:12 AM
Breaking news, study shows that you can move more furniture in 5 trucks compared to 1 truck.

Bush0
05-11-10, 08:58 AM
Is there any sign this is not just another study that totally neglects the sales off digital distribution (Steam etc.)? I haven't bought more than a few PC games retail the past few years, but more than a dozen off Steam, likewise for many of my friends.

The news article doesn't mention this, so unless we hear otherwise, I declare the study useless (nana2)

According to the report it includes digital distribution and second-hand sales. But one has to keep in mind that this is just a survey based on 13,000 people answers.
Platform definitions
Revenue figures are based on money spent per typical game platform.
Consoles: all types including handheld consoles such as Nintendo DS & PSP.
PC games: games installed and played on a PC: downloads and boxed products. Excluding premium (casual) downloads from game portals and MMO clients.

-------------------------------------------------

Revenue breakdown
All revenuesare basedondirect consumerspending, no advertisingorB2B.
Consoles & PC games: includesboxedproducts, digital distribution, second-hand.

Here is a small free version of the report, the full version costs 299 and it includes a breakdown of the "consoles".
http://corporate.newzoo.com/press/GamesMarketReport_FREE_030510.pdf

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/newzooshare.jpg

K007
05-11-10, 09:24 AM
According to the report it includes digital distribution and second-hand sales. But one has to keep in mind that this is just a survey based on 13,000 people answers.

Here is a small free version of the report, the full version costs 299 and it includes a breakdown of the "consoles".
http://corporate.newzoo.com/press/GamesMarketReport_FREE_030510.pdf

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/newzooshare.jpg

Again more useless data. The Consoles should have been broken down, hiding this only shows that pc games are selling well.

the stats/data is flawed. and nekro's examples show why the stats are garbage.

only reason to post this here is to bait/troll. should be locked.

Bush0
05-11-10, 10:33 AM
Again more useless data. The Consoles should have been broken down, hiding this only shows that pc games are selling well.

the stats/data is flawed. and nekro's examples show why the stats are garbage.

only reason to post this here is to bait/troll. should be locked.
But this is how most of them are doing it, they show a small bit of the reports to the public and to see the rest you have to pay for it or something similar.
For example, to get access to The PC Gaming Alliance annual report you have to be a member of their "little club", but I think to be a member in the PCGA you have to be in the business of PC, like a developer, publisher or hardware manufacturer like AMD, Nvidia or Intel.

I don’t know how reliable this report is, for e.g. from what I can understand of the report the amount of total players in most of the countries listed is close or more than 50% of the population, in some way I find that kind of hard to believe.
But I don't think this report is trying to show that PC is in a bad spot, on the contrary actually this report shows much higher numbers and in comparison to the consoles than most other reports I have seen. And it clearly states that the console percentage is all the consoles together including the handheld devices and that is at least 5 or more.

LurkerLito
05-11-10, 11:51 AM
Without a breakdown of the "console" section it makes the statistics pretty useless. So all types of consoles includes what exactly? If we make an assumption that means PS3, XB360, Wii, DS, and PSP. Then the PC sales a significantly higher (16% PC, 12% for each PS3,XB360,Wii,DS,PSP) and gets even higher if you include older systems that are still being sold (PS2).

While it sounds like consoles are a big market, to get anything useful, you'd need to get the stats for a game released on all consoles + PC at the same time to know which market is better. The problem with that is it is still not necessarily a good indicator because some platforms are better for some game types.

nekrosoft13
05-11-10, 11:56 AM
PS2 still sells tons of games, so devide the pot 6 ways