PDA

View Full Version : Master Boot Record

stncttr908
07-19-03, 05:09 PM
My brother's 40GB Maxtor Diamondmax sometimes fails to boot. I believe there may be a problem in the disk's MBR. What is the best way to go about repairing this and will I lose any/all of the computer's data?

PsychoSy
07-20-03, 12:05 AM
With Win9x & FAT32 partitions, boot to a bootable DOS floppy.
Next, type "FDISK C: /MBR" and hit return. It should rebuild the master boot record while leaving your data intact.

With Win2K/XP and NTFS, I'm not for certain, but you may have to boot with the Windows CD. When it asks you to, hit "R" to go into the recovery console. Once the console is loaded and you're seeing something simular to an old-fashioned DOS prompt, type either "fixboot" or "fixMBR" and hit return.

stncttr908
07-20-03, 03:06 PM
Well, I booted up with the XP cd in, and when I got to the repair console, it told me that the MBR was either invalid, or it couldn't be recognized. If I had repaired it, it might have rendered my partitions unreadable. So, rather than take a risk now, I'll just have to backup everything onto my machine before I take a chance. Thanks for the help though.

|JuiceZ|
07-24-03, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by stncttr908
Well, I booted up with the XP cd in, and when I got to the repair console, it told me that the MBR was either invalid, or it couldn't be recognized. If I had repaired it, it might have rendered my partitions unreadable. So, rather than take a risk now, I'll just have to backup everything onto my machine before I take a chance. Thanks for the help though.

If you select the opt like your doing a new install, setup will detect an existing xp install and ask to repair it, that way it'll repair all yer sys files w/o affecting any partitions.