PDA

View Full Version : GeForce4 Ti 4200 Display Problem

Allyn
07-19-03, 06:00 PM
This is my first post here. Perhaps some of you have seen this and can help.

System:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe version 1.x 1004 Final
Athlon XP 2400+ w/Volcano 9.
(2) Corsair XMS CMX3200C2 512 original version in Dual Channel mode.
Memory set for 6-3-3-2T. In sync at 133mhz.
GeForce4 Ti 4200
Antec TruePower 430w PS

Caching disabled in BIOS, AGP aperture set for 128

Operating Sys: Windows XP Professional SP 1
Chipset Driver: Asus 1.16 package
Video Driver: Detonator 44.03.
Temperature: 37 to 50C.

I've experienced an intermittent but worsening problem that occurs mostly when running Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002. But it has occurred at least twice outside of any gaming activity.

Upon first occurrence several months ago, part of the textures became garbled as only certain sections of the flight deck display reverted to 16 color mode. Now, failures are more frequent and annoying, and affect the entire display, causing it to become garbled and unreadable. Worse, doing a system reset following the event does not correct the problem. During reboot, nothing is readable, including POST data. It appears a screen is trying to appear as a red flashing banner on a blue background, perhaps warning of a hardware failure. Only by powering down completely can the system return to normal.

Following is what I got after powering down and restarting today.

First window:

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.

The display driver for NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 seems to be responsible for the system instability.

Second window:

Computer restarted after an unexpected shutdown. Microsoft Windows detected a possible device failure.

The driver for the display device was unable to complete a drawing operation. Please check with the device manufacturer for a driver update.

This problem surfaced shortly after my first driver update following setup of my Asus A7N8X. Subsequent driver updates and uninstalls have not corrected the issue. I've tried all versions of Nvidia's drivers. No luck. And checking the driver files revealed nothing unusual. Everything looks right.

The card, a Gainward 64mb GeForce4 Ti 4200 worked reliably in my old P-III-600. I've only had trouble since installing it in my Asus AMD system.

MS Crash Analysis blames the driver, but doesn't know the cause of the problem. At this point, I suspect a hardware failure of the card but since I can't read the flashing banner during reboot, I can't be certain.

I'll be doing some maintenance inside my Antec 1080 case tonight and will recheck the GPU fan and the seating of the card.

Any ideas?

Allyn :confused:

The Baron
07-19-03, 06:39 PM
Doesn't sound BIOS related, or driver related. Either the heatsink is about to fall off, or the card has gone bad.

Where is Bluffton, BTW?

Allyn
07-19-03, 07:05 PM
I received this link (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293078) via MS Crash Analysis.

It would make sense that something's wrong with the GPU. I'll check it for signs of a loose HS/F. Could be time for a replacement. But I really wanted to wait until current top-of-the line cards come down a bit.

Bluffton is near Hilton Head Island just north of Savannah. My parents live near you in Cashiers. You're in God's country.

Beautiful place, Brevard! :thumbsup:

Allyn :cool:

The Baron
07-19-03, 07:11 PM
Sat might have a mad deal for you on either a 5900 Ultra or a R9800 Pro... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&goto=lastpost&forumid=17)

But, something similar has happened to me when the GPU fan gets so clogged with dust it refuses to move at full speed (or sometmies, at all). Display corruption, lockups, general weird stuff.

saturnotaku
07-19-03, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Sat might have a mad deal for you on either a 5900 Ultra or a R9800 Pro... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&goto=lastpost&forumid=17)

But, something similar has happened to me when the GPU fan gets so clogged with dust it refuses to move at full speed (or sometmies, at all). Display corruption, lockups, general weird stuff.

Actually, that card for now belongs to surfhurleydude. However, if he decides not to buy it I'll keep you in mind.

Allyn
07-23-03, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the replies. Here's some additional information regarding the bad card.

Cleaning the interior and reseating the card didn't help but disabling some hardware functions did. I disabled write combining and from within FS2002 hardware T&L. The card ran fine under this configuration.

Enabling write combining produced no errors. But when T&L was enabled, I had one lockup, forcing a full power-off recycle to recover.

When I enabled 32 bit color and anti-aliasing within FS 2002 , the display became garbled almost immediately and generated a readable device failure message.

I installed and ran BurnInTest Pro and found something interesting. The card is a Gainward 64 MB card, but only 62.33 MB of total memory was found. 56.25 MB was available for testing, which passed.

So it appears I've a video RAM failure. This is the second time I've encountered such a problem from an Nvidia-based product. It's getting old. :mad:

I read elsewhere that Gainward's products were not as reliable as other vendors. Any comments?

BTW, I'm seriously looking at the competition.

ricercar
07-23-03, 02:59 PM
Your card's problem is certainly a memory failure, not a GPU failure. Buy ATi card if you want, but don't blame Chevy for a flat tire, and don't blame NVIDIA for a HYNIX/Infineon/Samsung RAM problem.

Problems at POST invariably indicate a hardware or firmware problem, (i.e. never a driver problem. The OS and drivers aren't even loaded yet.) Your problem is coincidental with a driver update, in that the new driver aggrivated a hardware failure that was already pending.

"THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" is an error that can be caused by video hardware failure such as RAM not returning an expected value. I've encountered that error often when overclocking video RAMs into failure from overheating.

Any vendor can be found to have complaints. Generally Gainward has an excellent reputation for overclockable cards. Your mileage varies.

Don't shoot the messenger. :(

If you can't afford a new video card, or wish to test my hypothesis, try placing a fan to blow directly across the video card RAMs and/or buy RAM sinks to cool the RAMs. Alternately, under-clock the MCLK (memory clock). If the card perfforms better with a cooler environment or a lower MCLK, then you know the RAMs are overheating.

EDIT: you don't say whether the problems persist if you re-install it in its pre-ASUS PIII system. My expectation is that the problems will persist; however, you may wish to test the Ti4200 in the old system before you decide that card is totally fubar. It's possible that the Ti4200 may work fine in an AGP 4x slot, but not in an AGP 8x slot.

Allyn
07-23-03, 04:39 PM
It doesn't matter who assembled the card, my "Nvidia-based card" statement is still accurate. I just wish it wasn't. I've had good results with TnT, TnT2, and GeForce2 cards in machines I've built for others. But at home, I've had 2 of 3 malfunction.

Regarding temperature, I don't believe that's the issue. I have ample ventilation through the case, including one fan blowing across the card at reduced velocity so as not to disturb the GPU fan's cooling potential.

I don't overclock. But I may try underclocking.

What about the shortage of RAM reported by BurnInTest? It was run for fifteen minutes.

The P-III-600 is in service at my previous church in Georgia. Cant' get to it for testing.

I concede that it is indeed possible that I erred in handling the card when I transferred it to the new system. Or the onboard RAM is simply bad.

The card still works quite well for non-gaming activity. So I don't HAVE to buy anything yet. The only significant upgrade within the Nvidia ranks is straight to the top. If I try an ATI card, the minimum upgrade would be to a 9700 series. So for reliable or better gaming performance at this time, a substantial investment is required either way. My wife and I are about to sign a sizeable mortgage note, so I need to wait a bit before taking on any more discretionary debt.

Nice avatar you have, ricercar...one of your offspring, I presume? :)

ricercar
07-23-03, 05:26 PM
> I concede that it is indeed possible that I erred in handling
> the card when I transferred it to the new system. Or the
> onboard RAM is simply bad. ... What about the shortage
> of RAM reported by BurnInTest?
> It was run for fifteen minutes.[/b]

I hope I did not imply the former. It sounds like RAM problems, not user error. Initially it seemed that some cells in the RAMs had stopped working. Yet this should produce constant failure with constant visual artifacts, not just in 3D modes. With only 3D problems, that sounds like a heat problem. Yet you have airflow over the card. I'm just confused. I'll stop typing now.

> Nice avatar you have, ricercar...one of your offspring,
>I presume? :)

Thanks for noticing! Firstborn son at 9 mos., wearing an orange peel in preparation for an "anti-hat" party.