PDA

View Full Version : Fry's honors price glitch - got X-Fi Fatal1ty for $56

saturnotaku
05-11-10, 06:55 PM
Was browsing the local Fry's (well, the only store in Chicago) the other day and saw them selling the X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium PCI-E for $125.99 with a $70 mail-in rebate. I know the story about MIRs, but I've personally had very good luck with them. Over the years, I've only had one that didn't pan out, and the last Creative rebate I did went flawlessly.

So I check out with the card, but I didn't receive any rebate receipt or submission form from the cashier. Long story short, the MIR was a pricing glitch, and the store manager simply credited the $70 back to my card.

Got it set up, and it's working great so far with my surround headphones. It's much better than the Realtek chip on my motherboard, despite the fact that Creative hasn't updated the drivers since last summer.

bob saget
05-11-10, 07:16 PM
nice! i will need to get a sound card soon. using realtec for now...

SVTF_Pat
05-11-10, 08:43 PM
Terrific deal, I recently installed an X-Fi Fatality FPS in my system and was blown away by how much better it sounds compared to the realtech onboard sound.

Smee
05-12-10, 12:01 AM
Got it set up, and it's working great so far with my surround headphones. It's much better than the Realtek chip on my motherboard, despite the fact that Creative hasn't updated the drivers since last summer.

You definitely want this:

http://www.filefront.com/14952787/XFI_SupportPack_2_0.exe/

saturnotaku
05-12-10, 06:05 AM
You definitely want this:

http://www.filefront.com/14952787/XFI_SupportPack_2_0.exe/

Actually, I don't. That pack contains a lot of unnecessary software (DTS, THX, Dolby Digital, etc). All I need are the main drivers and ALchemy, both of which are working perfectly well. Thanks all the same, though.

nekrosoft13
05-12-10, 07:06 AM
your lucky, i was at frys two days ago they didn't have any cards left.

also the only chicagoland store. for that price i thought it won't hurt getting one

Smee
05-12-10, 09:07 AM
Actually, I don't. That pack contains a lot of unnecessary software (DTS, THX, Dolby Digital, etc). All I need are the main drivers and ALchemy, both of which are working perfectly well. Thanks all the same, though.

I ditched almost all of it, without the pack, I had little to no use of console launcher, EQ settings etc..

Creative support keeps getting worse. :/

Aphot
05-13-10, 12:16 AM
The Asus sound card driver package for 64bit windows 7 is less than 20mb. :)

If you are in the market for a sound card I would definitely recommend an Asus one.

Mr Bigman
05-13-10, 12:54 AM
I ditched almost all of it, without the pack, I had little to no use of console launcher, EQ settings etc..

Creative support keeps getting worse. :/

You got that right shaw.

Got one of those in the mce with 7 and still they can't get current dated drivers.

saturnotaku
05-13-10, 09:46 PM
The Asus sound card driver package for 64bit windows 7 is less than 20mb. :)

If you are in the market for a sound card I would definitely recommend an Asus one.

The Xonar DS isn't a bad card, but Asus is as good at updating its drivers as Creative. You'll get a few sets released in short order after the card comes out but nothing thereafter.

wheeljack12
05-16-10, 07:24 PM
well, it seems that the audigy line of cards got a driver update within the last two weeks. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you supposed to support current model technology before legacy? You can't tell me that the current pci-e creative drivers are that perfect. Especially since the windows 7 drivers were released during the windows 7 RC stage. They should have brought out drivers near release day of windows 7. It also shows how good windows 7 is though in not needing updates for certain hardware.

Smee
05-18-10, 11:59 AM
well, it seems that the audigy line of cards got a driver update within the last two weeks. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you supposed to support current model technology before legacy? You can't tell me that the current pci-e creative drivers are that perfect. Especially since the windows 7 drivers were released during the windows 7 RC stage. They should have brought out drivers near release day of windows 7. It also shows how good windows 7 is though in not needing updates for certain hardware.

Creative sucks, pure and simple, How another sound company hasn't knocked them off their throne yet, is one of life's compelling mystery's.