PDA

View Full Version : Case fans

CaptNKILL
05-15-10, 02:54 AM
I'm thinking of adding some better fans to my new Cooler Master 690 II Advanced to try to keep the noise and GPU temps under control.

Basically, after using an Antec P180 and a GTX 260 for quite a while, I'm used to a quiet computer, so the ridiculously loud fan in the GTX 470 and a noisy 120mm tricool fan running maxed out at 2300RPM are just too much for me. The noise is just way too distracting. I think anything officially rated at under 30DBA should be good and I obviously want the highest CFM possible. I've never used one before but it looks like a PWM fan would be the best choice for the bottom of my case (to cool the GPU directly), so that it stays quiet until the GPU gets warm, at which point I want it to ramp up as much as it can since nothing will be as loud as the GTX 470 fan. :o

I need some recommendations for good fans though. My case will accept 120mm or 140mm fans all around. I only have two headers for 4-pin PWM fans on my board, and one would be for the CPU, but I wouldn't mind upgrading that fan either (its currently using a 120mm tricool). Any other fans would simply be 3 pin or molex powered.

I prefer buying cooling supplies from Jab-Tech because they aren't too far from here, so the shipping is pretty cheap (but its still out of state, so no tax ;)). So, my selection would come from here:

http://www.jab-tech.com/120mm-Fans-c-81.html
http://www.jab-tech.com/140mm-Fans-c-282.html
http://www.jab-tech.com/PWM-Fans-For-LGA775-Motherboards-c-273.html

I'm thinking of going with at least one Scythe Slip Stream (http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-KAZE-JYUNI-SLIP-STREAM-120mm-PWM-Case-Fan-SY1225SL12M-PWM-pr-4599.html) 120mm PWM fan, but I wish they made them in 140mm.

Any other recommendations or suggestions are welcome. :) My primary goal is to get the GTX 470's fan noise and temperatures under control without making my PC sound like a vacuum cleaner while I'm just browsing the web.

saturnotaku
05-16-10, 08:21 AM
I use a combination of Scythe Gentle Typhoon and SilenX iExtrema fans in my case and have been happy with their performance.

grey_1
05-16-10, 08:34 AM
I use a combination of Scythe Gentle Typhoon and SilenX iExtrema fans in my case and have been happy with their performance.

I saw the Typhoons the other day - very interested in those also.

Maverick123w
05-16-10, 11:51 AM
I'm using coolermasters 140mm blue fans and they are silent and move plenty of air.

CaptNKILL
06-05-10, 05:34 PM
Just giving this thread a bit of a bump.

Its getting pretty hot around here so I'd like to get some better fans in my case soon.

I just tried setting my current fans so that they could be adjusted with voltage (they aren't PWM fans) and honestly, I don't see how this is even supposed to work.

Unless I can get a piece of software that will allow me to tell a specific fan controller how fast it should speed up according to which temperature, I have no use for variable speed fans. The default CPU fan speed adjustments are totally worthless because the motherboard doesn't even know which temperature is the actual CPU temp. OCCT reports my cores idling in the 41-45C range and shooting up significantly under load, but the Gigabyte EasyTune6 utility reports the CPU temp as 37C (which is one of the system temps) so it NEVER ramps up the fan speed. This is worthless and IMO dangerous.

Speedfan seems like it could adjust PWM fan speeds, but there doesn't seem to be any control over how it works.

I don't know how PWM fans are supposed to be of any use with software like this, so I'm thinking of just going with large standard 140mm fans that push a decent amount of air without being too loud. Its just a matter of finding which ones are the best now.

|MaguS|
06-05-10, 06:15 PM
Noctua makes my favorite fans. I have them on my CPU Heatsink.

Heres a question, whats the best way to add extra cooling without cutting a hole on the side of my case. Was looking into one of those PCI Exhaust expansions.

crainger
06-05-10, 06:37 PM
Those PCI slot fans are usually pretty crap. Only real way it to add more fans and side panel near GPU is probably the best along with intakes on front, and exhausts on top and rear.

betterdan
06-05-10, 06:53 PM
Also check to see if you can add a bottom case fan for intake. If there are not already holes drilled and your case sits up high enough to draw air in through the bottom you could just drill holes in the bottom and bolt an intake fan on.

autobot
06-06-10, 12:09 AM
Enermax Magma fans are decent. Frys sell them for $12 a pop and I'm thinkin of grabbing a half-dozen of them. :)

bob saget
06-06-10, 12:32 AM
Also check to see if you can add a bottom case fan for intake. If there are not already holes drilled and your case sits up high enough to draw air in through the bottom you could just drill holes in the bottom and bolt an intake fan on.

Bolt? Only losers use bolts. I zip-tied mine, motherf*cker.

betterdan
06-06-10, 01:33 AM
Bob don't make me get out the drill-do to put some holes in you for intake.

bob saget
06-06-10, 01:54 AM
Bob don't make me get out the drill-do to put some holes in you for intake.

:lol: I am not going to even ask what that is.

betterdan
06-06-10, 02:05 AM
You don't have to ask, just click http://www.holisticwisdom.com/the-drildo.htm
Be sure to check out it's strength and weaknesses but be careful though, **NSFW**

betterdan
06-06-10, 02:08 AM
On second thought I don't think the drill-do would help Bob. Instead of cooling him down it would do nothing but get him hot. :bleh:
Maybe he could stick a Dark Knight (the Xigmatek cpu/heatsink not Batman) to his ass and run around the house till he cools off some.

We now return you to the CaptNKill thread already in progress...

bob saget
06-06-10, 03:16 AM
:rofl outstanding!
late night laffs from the king himself.

MaXThReAT
06-06-10, 12:23 PM
Just giving this thread a bit of a bump.

Its getting pretty hot around here so I'd like to get some better fans in my case soon.

I just tried setting my current fans so that they could be adjusted with voltage (they aren't PWM fans) and honestly, I don't see how this is even supposed to work.

Unless I can get a piece of software that will allow me to tell a specific fan controller how fast it should speed up according to which temperature, I have no use for variable speed fans. The default CPU fan speed adjustments are totally worthless because the motherboard doesn't even know which temperature is the actual CPU temp. OCCT reports my cores idling in the 41-45C range and shooting up significantly under load, but the Gigabyte EasyTune6 utility reports the CPU temp as 37C (which is one of the system temps) so it NEVER ramps up the fan speed. This is worthless and IMO dangerous.

Speedfan seems like it could adjust PWM fan speeds, but there doesn't seem to be any control over how it works.

I don't know how PWM fans are supposed to be of any use with software like this, so I'm thinking of just going with large standard 140mm fans that push a decent amount of air without being too loud. Its just a matter of finding which ones are the best now.

Honestly I would just go ahead and get a hardware fan controller if you have the extra bay/s.
Some of them have some pretty robust features and fancy screens.
Check out the Zalman it comes with 4 temp sensors for auto temp control.

ZALMAN MFC2 Muti Fan Controller
Fan Compatibility: 1 X 4-Pin (Supports fans... 3 X 3-Pin (Supports fans... Dimensions: 5.78" x 3.42" x 1.65"
Features: Fan Compatibility: 1 X 4-Pin (Supports fans with PWM function) 3 X 3-Pin (Supports fans with RPM output function) Fan RPM Control: 60 - 5940 RPM Real time display of power consumption.
Four sensors for temperature monitoring and display.
Monitoring and control of one PWM fan and three standard fans.
Alarm system to notify non-operation of any of the fans.
Fan's operation status indicated with animated propeller images.
Model #: MFC2
$56.98

bob saget
06-06-10, 12:27 PM
I have the rheobus 6 fan controller. using all six. works great. wish I had sleeved fan cables though, or mayeb even longer ones so I could hide them away. they make quite a mess inside the case.

betterdan
06-06-10, 04:50 PM
I never saw the need for fan controllers. Just get decently quiet fans and have them pumping full blast all the time. Why get something to reduce the performance of another thing you bought?

|MaguS|
06-06-10, 04:56 PM
http://www.jab-tech.com/Noctua-NF-P12-1300-120mm-Fan-pr-4046.html

Best case fans you can find. Quiet and preform great! I have two on my CPU Heatsink and about to buy 6 more for my case.