PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Copycat grey_1...For the Most Part

Pages : [1] 2

Phyre
05-19-10, 06:09 PM
Well, it's that time. I haven't built a new system in forever. I'm still using what is in my sig -- E6600 on an nForce 590 SLi board. grey's post put me over the edge, and I started making a list. I initially wanted to build an i7 system with the ASUS Extreme III and all the bells and whistles. After seeing how much I was looking at spending, I liked the AMD wish list better. Seeing as how this will be a gaming rig, I'm hoping this will go well.

The parts:

Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (HDZ955FBGMBOX)
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
G.Skill 4GB RazorJaw (F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ)
Antec TruePower TP-750
Thermalright Venomous X - RT
Thermaltake Element V (VL20001W2Z)

I'm hoping the HDZ955FBGMBOX is the rev. C3 of the Phenom II 955. I'm considering the Thermalright Venomous X-RT because of the flat surface that contacts the processor. I'm planning to use Indigo Xtreme for the thermal paste, and their documentation said it wouldn't work correctly with the bottom surface of the Cooler Master. The Cooler Master would be my first choice if it weren't for that.

I'm gonna rob some parts from my current system of course. Mainly, I'll be carrying over the 80 GB Intel XM-25, 300 GB Velociraptor, and the GTX 280.

I'm about 2 weeks out from making the order for the stuff. Just posting the details to try and head off any gremlins or bad thinking before they bite me in the keister.

grey_1
05-19-10, 06:20 PM
Hey, nice rig! :p

Info on that proc for you.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X4%20955%20Black%20Edition%20-%20HDZ955FBK4DGM%20%28HDZ955FBGMBOX%29.html

It's the C3.

Phyre
05-19-10, 06:49 PM
Thanks for that link. All my searching didn't come up with that. I had suspected it was. Now, I feel a bit better.

Viral
05-19-10, 07:35 PM
Why not go with some CAS7 RAM?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303&cm_re=g.skill-_-20-231-303-_-Product

Same price as the CAS9 you're looking at, just 1.65v instead of 1.5v. A little extra voltage isn't a big deal with AM3 systems like it is with i5/7.

Or there's this low voltage stuff for $10 more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231321&cm_re=g.skill-_-20-231-321-_-Product

Either would give a noticeable improvement IMO.

nekrosoft13
05-19-10, 07:36 PM
have fun with GA-890GPA-UD3H, its a good board, i like mine

Phyre
05-19-10, 10:43 PM
Why not go with some CAS7 RAM?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303&cm_re=g.skill-_-20-231-303-_-Product

Same price as the CAS9 you're looking at, just 1.65v instead of 1.5v. A little extra voltage isn't a big deal with AM3 systems like it is with i5/7.

Or there's this low voltage stuff for $10 more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231321&cm_re=g.skill-_-20-231-321-_-Product

Either would give a noticeable improvement IMO.

I was going off the Gigabyte recommended memory list for the board. But, I might give that stuff a go.

Thanks!

Sazar
05-19-10, 11:59 PM
Well, it's that time. I haven't built a new system in forever. I'm still using what is in my sig -- E6600 on an nForce 590 SLi board. grey's post put me over the edge, and I started making a list. I initially wanted to build an i7 system with the ASUS Extreme III and all the bells and whistles. After seeing how much I was looking at spending, I liked the AMD wish list better. Seeing as how this will be a gaming rig, I'm hoping this will go well.

The parts:

Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (HDZ955FBGMBOX)
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
G.Skill 4GB RazorJaw (F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ)
Antec TruePower TP-750
Thermalright Venomous X - RT
Thermaltake Element V (VL20001W2Z)

I'm hoping the HDZ955FBGMBOX is the rev. C3 of the Phenom II 955. I'm considering the Thermalright Venomous X-RT because of the flat surface that contacts the processor. I'm planning to use Indigo Xtreme for the thermal paste, and their documentation said it wouldn't work correctly with the bottom surface of the Cooler Master. The Cooler Master would be my first choice if it weren't for that.

I'm gonna rob some parts from my current system of course. Mainly, I'll be carrying over the 80 GB Intel XM-25, 300 GB Velociraptor, and the GTX 280.

I'm about 2 weeks out from making the order for the stuff. Just posting the details to try and head off any gremlins or bad thinking before they bite me in the keister.

Nice :)

And...

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/9451/845029-get_out_of_here_stalker_super.jpg

:bleh:

grey_1
05-20-10, 04:28 AM
I was going off the Gigabyte recommended memory list for the board. But, I might give that stuff a go.

Thanks!

Make sure you check the ram timings on your initial set up. With both the F5 and F7 bios mine defaulted to 11-11-11-29 and 2T, had to manually set the correct timings as well as rated speed.

DiscipleDOC
05-20-10, 08:39 AM
Phyre, looks like a sweet machine you're building. Post pics and benchmarks when you have it all built. :thumbsup:

betterdan
05-20-10, 08:52 AM
I was going to copycat grey too but I just can't bring myself to put all those pics of Doc up above my bed :bleh:

grey_1
05-20-10, 09:07 AM
*emails betterdan's wife.....*

DiscipleDOC
05-20-10, 09:13 AM
I was going to copycat grey too but I just can't bring myself to put all those pics of Doc up above my bed :bleh:

wut

betterdan
05-20-10, 11:20 AM
*emails betterdan's wife.....*

:rofl

Ok ok I'm sorry... please don't send it :(

grey_1
05-20-10, 11:44 AM
:rofl

Ok ok I'm sorry... please don't send it :(

*deleted*

:lol:

Phyre
05-27-10, 09:20 AM
Got it put together last night. I don't know about pictures. My cabling job always leave something to be desired, i.e. it is pretty much non-existent at the moment. All case (Thermaltake Element V) fans seem to be working except the side fan. I'll have to investigate that a little further.

I'm not really sure why, but it took forever to get the Windows 7 installation going. It took what seemed like 10 or 15 mins. until the language selection appeared. After hitting Install on the next screen, it was even longer (20 mins.?) before the next screen appeared for setting up the hard drive to which to install. Windows thought my SATA 0 drive was Drive 1 and SATA 1 drive was Drive 0. :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, it seems to be running fine now. I'll have to check the DVD drive to see if it's working correctly. The install was done from it, and I'm not sure if it was the problem as the same thing was happening if I tried to install from a USB thumb drive.

grey_1
05-27-10, 10:57 AM
Did you get the Gigabyte board you listed? Double check what SATA channel it's on, and the mode. My Win7 install was fast - don't know the exact time, but around 20 minutes give or take from boot to finish.

Also check your ram timings. This board defaulted mine at CAS 11 and higher. You should be able to tighten timings a lot for a nice boost.

Maverick123w
05-27-10, 11:04 AM
Got it put together last night. I don't know about pictures. My cabling job always leave something to be desired, i.e. it is pretty much non-existent at the moment. All case (Thermaltake Element V) fans seem to be working except the side fan. I'll have to investigate that a little further.

I'm not really sure why, but it took forever to get the Windows 7 installation going. It took what seemed like 10 or 15 mins. until the language selection appeared. After hitting Install on the next screen, it was even longer (20 mins.?) before the next screen appeared for setting up the hard drive to which to install. Windows thought my SATA 0 drive was Drive 1 and SATA 1 drive was Drive 0. :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, it seems to be running fine now. I'll have to check the DVD drive to see if it's working correctly. The install was done from it, and I'm not sure if it was the problem as the same thing was happening if I tried to install from a USB thumb drive.

On my old gigabyte board, windows loaded 10x faster on ahci mode. If it was just on sata mode I would sit there for 20 minutes until the language screen came up as well.

You better post some pics. The element V should have decent cable routing from the looks of it.

Phyre
05-27-10, 11:06 AM
Yeah. I have the same board. I checked and double checked the SATA channels. The post screen that doesn't stay up very long shows it to be on the correct channel. I even swapped the SSD and Velociraptor to see if it would change that, but Windows still did the same thing. So, I swapped it back.

I did the install with SATA 0,1,2, and 3 in AHCI mode. Did you do your install in RAID or AHCI mode? I used AHCI and am not sure if that could be the cause.

I do still have to check the RAM timings and such. Mine are currently listed as CL 9, and I have CL 7 RipJaws. Of course, with the research I did on RAM and the Gigabyte board, people are only able to get CL 8 out of it.

mailman2
05-27-10, 11:16 AM

Thanks!

Trust me on this - go with what they are recommending for the board. I built an EVGA P55 LE and grabbed some "other" ram, what a nightmare it was. I went back and bought something off the EVGA suggested list and have had ZERO problems. Its not worth a few bucks for the headache. Just get what the manufacturer suggests man.

grey_1
05-27-10, 06:02 PM
Yeah. I have the same board. I checked and double checked the SATA channels. The post screen that doesn't stay up very long shows it to be on the correct channel. I even swapped the SSD and Velociraptor to see if it would change that, but Windows still did the same thing. So, I swapped it back.

I did the install with SATA 0,1,2, and 3 in AHCI mode. Did you do your install in RAID or AHCI mode? I used AHCI and am not sure if that could be the cause.

I do still have to check the RAM timings and such. Mine are currently listed as CL 9, and I have CL 7 RipJaws. Of course, with the research I did on RAM and the Gigabyte board, people are only able to get CL 8 out of it.

Installed mine in AHCI. I have the CL9 Ripjaws, excellent ram so far. But unless you're a benchmark junkie I don't think you'll notice much real world performance difference between CL 7 and 8.

On the slow install - I'm a firmware fanatic after an update fixed all kinds of issues on and older Sony DVD. I had slow installs, launches etc, and figured I'd give the firmware a go before dropping any cash. It worked.

PeterJensen
05-28-10, 12:56 AM
So how is the new pc performing? :)

Yaboze
05-28-10, 08:42 AM
I couldn't even install Windows 7 with AHCI with my X58 board, it wouldn't see the drive, even if I did F6 with the driver. So after it installed, I did this reg change in Windows 7 then turned it on in the bios and all is fine.

I got the upgrade, so I put a quick build of Windows XP on my machine (originally), then upgraded, deleting the Windows.old stuff. When I reloaded recently, I did a clean install but had to call MS.

Anyway, the Windows XP load took forever compared to Windows 7 to install.

Phyre
05-28-10, 08:55 AM
So how is the new pc performing? :)

It's doing awesome. I played some BFBC2 last night, and the improvement over what I was running was amazing. I've not done any benchmarking per se. I might get to that this weekend.

I couldn't even install Windows 7 with AHCI with my X58 board, it wouldn't see the drive, even if I did F6 with the driver. So after it installed, I did this reg change in Windows 7 then turned it on in the bios and all is fine.

I got the upgrade, so I put a quick build of Windows XP on my machine (originally), then upgraded, deleting the Windows.old stuff. When I reloaded recently, I did a clean install but had to call MS.

Anyway, the Windows XP load took forever compared to Windows 7 to install.

I had seen a lot of issues with people having those issues as well which makes me think my problems could have been something akin to that. I was prepared to go that route though if I had needed.

Phyre
05-31-10, 01:18 PM
Just kinda curious about my temps after seeing some reviews of the Venomous X. In the following image am I supposed to be looking at the core temperatures of 29 C? The temps in the screenshot are idle temps of course.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/barleystout/temps.jpg

grey_1
05-31-10, 03:27 PM
What's ambient at the time you took that reading? Figure 29C is about 84F - so if ambient is 84F you're idling at ambient = fantastic cooler. And that Everest which I understand is very accurate.

The real test will be the delta under load. My 212+ does a decent job, idles around 32-37C depending on ambient, but can go as high as 50C using OCCT.