PDA

View Full Version : SEGA Genesis Classics Coming to PC

Pages : [1] 2 3

nekrosoft13
05-21-10, 05:56 PM
Sega sent out a press release announcing that a number of its titles for that console will be released via digital download beginning on June 1 on Steam and other download platforms. Some of the games that will be released will include games like Altered Beast, Comix Zone, Crack Down, Ecco The Dolphin, Golden Axe, Shadow Dancer, Space Harrier II, Sonic 3D Blast, Vectorman and others. Pricing for the PC ports of these Sega Genesis games will begin at $2.99.

http://www.sega-press.com/

|MaguS|
05-21-10, 06:00 PM
Yeah $3 bucks a pop for Genesis Games is a little stupid if you ask me.

Logical
05-21-10, 06:07 PM
Sega must think that emulators dont exsist.

mojoman0
05-21-10, 06:57 PM
their games run through emulators, even on the iphone

NarcissistZero
05-21-10, 07:49 PM
Sega must think that emulators dont exsist.

This is a legal option, and for cheap. Pirated copies of EVERY PC game exist, are you saying no one should bother selling them?

Silly.

I will get these... the ones I want anyway. Nice to see a legal option for console classics on PC. Hopefully it uses good emulation, because honestly GENS sucks.

lumpyhed
05-22-10, 10:25 AM
Something for the nubs to buy :)

JohnDio
05-22-10, 11:21 AM
This is a legal option, and for cheap. Pirated copies of EVERY PC game exist, are you saying no one should bother selling them?

Silly.

I will get these... the ones I want anyway. Nice to see a legal option for console classics on PC. Hopefully it uses good emulation, because honestly GENS sucks.

I sure hope this pack from SEGA has the filters we are used to (Maxim Stepin's HQ2X filter)

Rakeesh
05-22-10, 01:18 PM
I wish they'd release sega AGES phantasy star 1 and 2 for PC in english. Those games were classics, it's a shame they only saw a jap PS2 release.

NarcissistZero
05-22-10, 07:11 PM
Something for the nubs to buy :)

Only nubs pay for cars, the cool kinds know where the car lot is.

K007
05-22-10, 09:05 PM
haha GOLDEN AXE!!!!!!!!! OH MAN I PLAYED THAT ALLLLLLLLL DAY!

lumpyhed
05-23-10, 07:52 AM
Only nubs pay for cars, the cool kinds know where the car lot is.

yes of course i pirate everything... :rolleyes:

NarcissistZero
05-23-10, 08:28 AM
yes of course i pirate everything... :rolleyes:

Well stop having a condescending attitude toward people who pay for all their games and I will stop mocking you.

lumpyhed
05-23-10, 08:48 AM
I was talking about the 2-3 quid dumps and emu combined releases that can already be played in a web browser. I already bought those games at full price on a japanese import megedrive. Now if they were to bring out Afterburner Climax or that new sonic game(perhaps they are?) to steam i will have my card at the ready..

Armed_Baboon
05-23-10, 07:49 PM
I've tried playing these retro games before. it's rarely fun. you start off thinking "oh wow I used to love this game" and then when you actually start to play it you realise it has the most unresponsive controls imaginable, the collision detection is screwed and the pixel blobs make your eyes bleed.

Logical
05-23-10, 09:11 PM
I was talking about the 2-3 quid dumps and emu combined releases that can already be played in a web browser. I already bought those games at full price on a japanese import megedrive. Now if they were to bring out Afterburner Climax or that new sonic game(perhaps they are?) to steam i will have my card at the ready..

This...

I have a sega megadrive in my attic along with the 32X and mega CD...come to think of it, i have a SNES, Atari Jaguar, Panasonic 3D0, Saturn, N64, Gamecube, PS2 and a Xbox. Most of them do not work for some reason or another but i have a combined total of around 500 games for them.

FYI emulators are perfectly legal...however you must own the original game to have a ROM.... Silly...

|MaguS|
05-23-10, 09:13 PM
FYI emulators are perfectly legal...however you must own the original game to have a ROM.... Silly...

Owning a rom is only legal if YOU dumped it, if you download a dump but own the cart it is still illegal.

Logical
05-23-10, 09:19 PM
Owning a rom is only legal if YOU dumped it, if you download a dump but own the cart it is still illegal.

Good job i dumped every rom on my hard disk from the original carts/disks....*AHEM*

NarcissistZero
05-23-10, 10:18 PM
Every time people talk about ROMs the one guy with a massive console game collection comes in to show everyone how ROMs are perfectly okay because he owns all the games.

This is rare. The vast majority of ROM users do not own the games, or own few of them.

I am not trying to be Mr. Moral about it, I have used ROMs, many of them for games I never owned. I justified it because there was nowhere to buy those games new where the publisher got a slice, so why does it matter? I did the same with PC games no longer for sale anywhere.

Thing is, the Wii came out and offered legal, publisher released downloads of all those games, which made my ROMs basically pirated copies again. If there is a way to buy the games that isn't old used copies, then you are stealing if you download them again. Same with the Lucasarts classics on Steam.

If you have the carts then yay for you, but anyone else should be buying these if they want to play them.

Armed_Baboon
05-23-10, 10:45 PM
Every time people talk about ROMs the one guy with a massive console game collection comes in to show everyone how ROMs are perfectly okay because he owns all the games.

This is rare. The vast majority of ROM users do not own the games, or own few of them.

I am not trying to be Mr. Moral about it, I have used ROMs, many of them for games I never owned. I justified it because there was nowhere to buy those games new where the publisher got a slice, so why does it matter? I did the same with PC games no longer for sale anywhere.

Thing is, the Wii came out and offered legal, publisher released downloads of all those games, which made my ROMs basically pirated copies again. If there is a way to buy the games that isn't old used copies, then you are stealing if you download them again. Same with the Lucasarts classics on Steam.

If you have the carts then yay for you, but anyone else should be buying these if they want to play them.

you could always write SEGA a nice letter and see if they would mind if you emulated on of their games. :)

Bman212121
05-23-10, 10:53 PM
Good job i dumped every rom on my hard disk from the original carts/disks....*AHEM*

What will be really funny is when some starts poking around and finds out they really just took someone's code for an EMU and grabbed someone's ROM dumps, then bundled it and are selling it for $3 a piece...

Armed_Baboon
05-23-10, 11:42 PM
there has never been a working daytona ROM right?

ViN86
05-24-10, 02:37 AM
Yea, let's not discuss ROM's at all. In the end, it is piracy, and we don't discuss that here. Even if you own the game, you're probably violating the DMCA.

Thanks.

lumpyhed
05-24-10, 01:11 PM
What will be really funny is when some starts poking around and finds out they really just took someone's code for an EMU and grabbed someone's ROM dumps, then bundled it and are selling it for $3 a piece...

Yeah ID sorta managed this when they released their ID Super Pack on Steam and the old games were wrapped up with Dosbox without the devs of said app being informed of it. Twas awfully nice of em to then go and help ID out afterwards as not everything worked properly.

Logical
05-24-10, 05:25 PM
Yea, let's not discuss ROM's at all. In the end, it is piracy, and we don't discuss that here. Even if you own the game, you're probably violating the DMCA.

Thanks.

But its ok for folk to post God of War screenshots from a PS2 emulator in the screenshot thread.....

Good call :/

On topic...If these sega classics are not redone in HD then i would sooner stick pins in my eyes than pay for 20 year old games.

ViN86
05-24-10, 05:28 PM
But its ok for folk to post God of War screenshots from a PS2 emulator in the screenshot thread.....

Good call :/

Then report the post.

We try to read every post, but obviously we can't do that, can we... With 1000's of posts per day and a handful of mods, you do the math.

EDIT: Screenshots removed. Thanks for your help I guess...