PDA

View Full Version : Only one sound at a time

jim64
07-20-03, 02:27 PM
Any one else havin problems getting the nforce audio to work on linux. I have finally been able to get it to work on slackware but i can only play sound from one ap at a time. If i try more i get errors saying that the sound device cant be opened or that /dev/dsp cant be opened. If any one has had this same problem and found a fix could they post their solution.

SavagePaladin
07-22-03, 03:29 AM
first is the obligatory 'I don't use linux, so...'
but what drivers are you using? NVIDIAs linux page listed a earlier version than their main driver page for nforce, for some reason I don't know.
Not that I have any idea if it makes a difference.

CaptNKILL
07-22-03, 07:57 AM
Did you try installing Windows XP? That usually fixes most if not ALL linux related problems.

SavagePaladin
07-22-03, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
Did you try installing Windows XP? That usually fixes most if not ALL linux related problems.
true, but then you have that Windows problem, which isn't acceptable for everyone :)

jim64
07-22-03, 11:26 AM
Ok i do not want this forum to turn into a argument of which os is better. Yes i know that Windows would probably detect and configure nforce sound correctly. I also know that something like SUSE or Mandrake would do that as well.
That said i have to say that i really hate Microsoft. Its more a thing of principal. If you love Microsoft then read up on them a bit more and on the business tactics that they use. I work for my college fixing Windows every day. So yes i use windows but only when i am paid :) . I would rather use slackware then a distro like Mandrake or Suse because i want to learn how to do this my self and not have the computer do it for me.

Any one else have any input that is relevant to my problem and how to fix it on Linux.

SavagePaladin
07-22-03, 11:35 AM
personally I don't love Microsoft, I just don't hate them. They do quite a bit of good too, even if it is just by virtue of having so much money.

Still, my question if you were using the actual latest drivers was valid. They have two versions listed as latest in the various web places, last I looked.

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux
driver ends with 248
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_nforce_1.0-0261
obviously ends with 261

jim64
07-22-03, 11:38 AM
O i am using the drivers from here http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_nforce_1.0-0261.
I have since given up on using that driver because i had no luck with it. However in recompiling my kernel there is an option to enable inteli8xx/nforce audio. It worked when enabled as part of the kernel but as a module i cant get it to work. When i enabled it as part of the kernel i could only let one program play a sound at a time. It looks to me like the module is loading right but still no sound. How do i enable a specific module. I tried "modprobe <module name>" no luck. In etc modules.conf there is nothing. Its a blank file. How are these modules loaded or configured by hand. I know that the tulip module is loading correctly because it is what enables my network card to work. How can i tell what has been loaded?
Thanks

SavagePaladin
07-22-03, 11:41 AM
That's beyond me, hopefully someone else can tell ya (or NFHQ will be back up soon)