PDA

View Full Version : WD15EARS - Advanced Format

technoid
05-23-10, 06:19 PM
I just bought a new WD15EARS 1.5TB hard drive to put in a eSATA enclosure. I still use Windows XP mostly but also have a dual-boot for Windows 7. So the question is do I need to use the WD Align Software on it. I called WD Tech Support but they seemed confused and didn't know much about it so I don't trust their answer. But the end result from the conversation with them is to just try it and see. Not what I wanted to hear. This will ONLY be a Data Drive but I want to use it from either Windows XP or Windows 7.

What I've done so far is run the SiSoft Sandra File System test on the new WD15EARS in the eSATA enclosure. I'll put the numbers below because they're a little confusing. By that I mean the Buffered Write test on Windows XP BEFORE the WD Align SW is faster than the Windows 7 numbers. (maybe some caching switch not enabled) I didn't expect that because the hard drive doesn't need the WD Align SW to be ran for Windows 7, so I expected lower numbers in Windows XP. So if any of you know anything about this I could use some help deciding what to do. I HAVE NOT ran the WD Align Software yet because I wanted to get some feed back first if I could.

You can also see a test kind of like I did here...
http://hothardware.com/Articles/WDs-1TB-Caviar-Green-w-Advanced-Format-Windows-XP-Users-Pay-Attention/?page=2

WINDOWS XP - Before WD Align Software

Detailed Benchmark Results
Buffered Read : 110.9MB/s
Sequential Read : 92.82MB/s
Random Read : 52MB/s
Buffered Write : 111.82MB/s
Sequential Write : 86.44MB/s
Random Write : 17MB/s
Random Access Time : 8.47ms

WINDOWS 7 - Before WD Align Software

Buffered Read : 113.56MB/s
Sequential Read : 93.23MB/s
Random Read : 52.22MB/s
Buffered Write : 50.42MB/s
Sequential Write : 86MB/s
Random Write : 17MB/s
Random Access Time : 8.43ms

technoid
05-23-10, 08:32 PM
Since I'm not a patient person I went ahead and used the WD Align Software to align the partition I made in Windows XP. Then I ran the SiSoft Sandra File System Benchmark again. I suppose the problem is fixed now. So what it looks like is this. Since I created the partition in Windows XP it wasn't aligned for the new 4k sector scheme so the benchmark numbers were lower in both Windows XP and Windows 7. I'll paste the results below for you to look at. As you can see the Random Write numbers went up a lot. That definitely shows the partition wasn't aligned properly since random writes would show the misalignment more.

WINDOWS XP - After WD Align Software

Buffered Read : 122.5MB/s
Sequential Read : 93.11MB/s
Random Read : 52MB/s
Buffered Write : 113MB/s
Sequential Write : 91.77MB/s
Random Write : 68.7MB/s
Random Access Time : 8.48ms

WINDOWS 7 - After WD Align Software

Buffered Read : 124.7MB/s
Sequential Read : 96MB/s
Random Read : 53MB/s
Buffered Write : 115.8MB/s
Sequential Write : 94.28MB/s
Random Write : 73.37MB/s
Random Access Time : 8.5ms

nekrosoft13
05-23-10, 10:01 PM
Random Write : 73.37MB/s

thats really nice

bacon12
05-24-10, 12:41 PM
Never aligned my 2tb, I didn't think I had to with 7. Guess I should have.

nekrosoft13
05-24-10, 12:48 PM
do you have one of the new advanced format drives?

bacon12
05-24-10, 01:16 PM
Yea EARS. I just formatted it and am using it as storage on my 7 htpc atm, but when WHS2 is out of beta it will go in that machine.

technoid
05-24-10, 07:32 PM
Yea EARS. I just formatted it and am using it as storage on my 7 htpc atm, but when WHS2 is out of beta it will go in that machine.

You only need to align the new advanced format drives when you Partition and Format them under Windows XP. Windows XP partitions and formats a little differently than Windows Vista and Windows 7. So don't worry if you partitioned it and formatted it under Windows Vista or Windows 7, your okay.

bacon12
05-24-10, 09:38 PM
Yea I knew that I was referring to the performance increase after aligning them. ;)

technoid
05-29-10, 09:20 AM
As much as I tried to like the WD Green 1.5TB I couldn't. So it went back to Best Buy. I'm sure it's a good drive over all but I didn't like several things about it. First. The idea of having to run a utility to fix the formatting issue didn't sit well with me, even though it did fix the speed problem. But I would always wonder if there was something below the eye level waiting to bite me. Second. I decided I totally dislike the idea of a Green Drive, by that I mean they go to sleep and you have to wait for them to spin up again. I have a Samsung 120GB I use while creating the Praise and Worship videos for Church, and having to wait for it to spin back up each time I need to use it bugs me to no end. I think someone else's words says it best, "in a world with zero patience we need fast drives, not slow ones that stop working and we have to wait on them all the time". And the Samsung grates on me everytime I have to wait on it. Third. I've read so many stories about the new Terrabyte drives failing after a while I decided I didn't want to trust it with data I didn't want to loose. Right now I have 5 USB drives so my data is spread out and often my important data is on two different drives so I feel pretty good about not loosing it.

So I guess I'll stick with more smaller drives until I get my confidence built up in the large drives. What I'd really like to have is a RAID 1 USB3 setup. I think USB3 is a good choice for me so I'll wait a bit for more options for it to come out. On that note, does anyone have any experience with it?

I guess one more thing. I have some WD Black 640GB drives and they're extremely quiet, how do the WD Black 750 or even the WD Black 1TB drives compare to them noise wise. I keep reading they'e a lot louder so I wish I could hear one to judge it. So any opinions on that would be great.

logan
05-29-10, 10:30 AM
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15363/13

I have 5 WD1001FALS in my Linux desktop and the only thing I hear is the fan in the enclosure (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215081).

nekrosoft13
05-29-10, 12:55 PM
Third. I've read so many stories about the new Terrabyte drives failing after a while I decided I didn't want to trust it with data I didn't want to loose. Right now I have 5 USB drives so my data is spread out and often my important data is on two different drives so I feel pretty good about not loosing it.
I guess one more thing. I have some WD Black 640GB drives and they're extremely quiet, how do the WD Black 750 or even the WD Black 1TB drives compare to them noise wise. I keep reading they'e a lot louder so I wish I could hear one to judge it. So any opinions on that would be great.

first the reliability, there is no such thing as 100% reliable drive, any hard drive by any company can fail at any time. the important part is to keep a backup.

and as far as noise is concerned, the 750 and 1tb WD can be slightly more noiser then 640 because 750 and 1tb has more spinning platters, but the diffrence should be rather small.

bacon12
05-29-10, 06:16 PM
Loving my 2tb so far had it for almost a month, however it stays parked most of the time. Not much on there but backups right now.

technoid
05-31-10, 12:06 AM
first the reliability, there is no such thing as 100% reliable drive, any hard drive by any company can fail at any time. the important part is to keep a backup.

and as far as noise is concerned, the 750 and 1tb WD can be slightly more noiser then 640 because 750 and 1tb has more spinning platters, but the diffrence should be rather small.

I know there's no such thing as a totally reliable drive but I've read a lot of bad stuff about the over 1TB drives. I guess what I'm thinking now is a WD 1TB Black. But for now I'll stick with my 640s for a bit.

nekrosoft13
07-16-10, 11:06 AM
there is a new hotfix for win7

KB982018 - A hotfix rollup that improves the reliability and performance of 4KB sector hard disk drive is available for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=12385

you can find more interesting hotfixes here
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143978