PDA

View Full Version : The NV Sound Card Poll

saturnotaku
09-04-02, 10:38 AM
All right folks. Vote away - what sound cards do you all use? I just changed over from an Audigy Gamer to a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and I'm loving it. No more potential problems with my VIA chipset and most importantly, no more waiting 8 months for sub-par driver updates!

Smokey
09-04-02, 12:51 PM
IM still using my SBLive that I bought three years ago, with the 'ole cheapo 4.1 creative speaker setup. This does fine for me as I use my headphones most of the time for gaming, and my speakers for movies.

Gator
09-04-02, 01:09 PM
I used to have Sblive, but when I switched to XP the early sblive drivers worked terrible for me. So I switched to SantaCruz and I'm very happy with it. For speakers, I use the Walmart special! Philips-Magnavox 3cd changer box stereo system! w00t! lol
:D

Gehenna_CA
09-04-02, 05:43 PM
Philips Acoustic Edge 706. Great soundcard. I haven't had the smallest bit of trouble since I bought it.

SavagePaladin
09-04-02, 07:45 PM
nforce 415, have loved it since i bought it
used to have an Acoustic edge but they had halfassed driver support so i can't be bothered even trying it
(I can't say what its like now, having not tried it since I got this)

saturnotaku
09-04-02, 09:32 PM
I had an Acoustic Edge once. I immediately replaced it with my old SB Live because of the aforementioned poor driver support.

But I am really loving this Santa Cruz. Pair these with my new Altec Lansing 251's and it's a monster combination for DVD's, gaming and all-around acoustical enjoyment. Plus the price for the package was nice, too. :D

netviper13
09-04-02, 09:33 PM
I've got a Hercules Game Theater XP, and I have loved it since the day I bought it. It just has so many options available, the only drawback is that it is a little bit of a pain to take to a LAN Party.

exar
09-06-02, 08:01 PM
I'm using the ol' nForce APU and am very pleased. Only wish I had gotten the riser card with it...but then I would have needed new speakers...damn, I'm poor... :(

sbp
09-07-02, 06:22 AM
Have both an Audigy Gamer and Santa Cruz here.

hehe 2 weeks ago I picked up Santa Cruz for $41.80 shipped from buy.com.

Well after doing testing I would say Santa Cruz is a nice soundcard. One thing that really stands out is its control panel. And its Win2000/XP drivers are solid.

Audigy is better in games with certain games being more noticable. Thats not to say the Santa Cruz is bad in games.

Sound quality wise, both are about equal.

Both soundcards are good and can be safely recommended. And the Audigy and Santa Cruz are better and an upgrade {somewhat} from the SBLive. However to go to one from the other is a sideways move.

Switch
09-08-02, 01:04 AM
Very pleased with my Hercules FortissimoII.

Gehenna_CA
09-08-02, 04:23 PM
The official Philips driver support is pretty slow, but I've never had a problem with any of their drivers to begin with so the point of untimely releases is irrelevant to me. Their team releases beta drivers quite regularily, however. Those are great too. They've only had two official driver releases in the last 9 months since I've had the card but they both work perfectly so its not a problem. How long are the releases for Creative Labs? Only a couple a year there too. I don't know about nforce drivers but I don't seem to recall those being very often either. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

koneill
09-08-02, 07:35 PM
i've tried a BUNCH of sound cards, everything from an audigy to nvidia's soundstorm. i recently popped a fortissimo iii 7.1 into my machine, and it sounds awesome - love it. no more software bloat (creative) or pops and clicks (philips).

SavagePaladin
09-09-02, 07:19 AM
nforce doesn't NEED new drivers all the time...since 1.05 they've worked perfectly.
I was in the AE beta program, and it took what 7 months after I bought the card for it to have GOOD drivers (even with betas)
You know actually, it wasn't entirely 'fixed' until 1.89, the new officials. Make that 8 or more months?
BTW Creative Labs reworked their driver arch, they're releasing a lot more regularly now it seems. I still can't be bothered.

saturnotaku
09-09-02, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
they're releasing a lot more regularly now it seems.

Yeah, every 8 months as opposed to every year.

Now that I've sent my rebate form in, my Santa Cruz is going to be free, hehe :p :D

Gehenna_CA
09-09-02, 10:44 AM
Well, I don't know what's up with the rest of your guy's boards but, as I've already said, my AE worked perfectly since day one. My AE didn't NEED any new drivers either since everyone I've tried has worked perfectly since the day I bought it. Almost a year ago now. No pops, no clicks, hums, etc. Just good, clean sound and smooth speaker transitions. I guess its the same as video cards, the same card can work perfectly for some people since day one and for others its buggy. Go figure.

saturnotaku
09-09-02, 11:54 AM
Sound cards are no different than video cards or any other piece of hardware. ;)

I did have an AE once, but no matter what driver set I tried, I could never get it to properly detect my Sidewinder Game Pad under Win 98 or 2000. It was too bad, too because the AE had awesome sound quality.

As I look back, though, the best sound card I ever owned, IMO was my Aureal Vortex 2. Great hardware, solid drivers and digital output. Too bad with my VIA chipset it would refuse to function under Win 2k. :(

SavagePaladin
09-09-02, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Gehenna_CA
Well, I don't know what's up with the rest of your guy's boards but, as I've already said, my AE worked perfectly since day one. My AE didn't NEED any new drivers either since everyone I've tried has worked perfectly since the day I bought it. Almost a year ago now. No pops, no clicks, hums, etc. Just good, clean sound and smooth speaker transitions. I guess its the same as video cards, the same card can work perfectly for some people since day one and for others its buggy. Go figure.
It wasn't so much sound bugs with me specifically, but EAX bugs. Go figure.

I heard WinXP suppot was pretty bad for a long time, though.

Gehenna_CA
09-09-02, 05:11 PM
I've been using it on XP since I got it and have never encountered a problem. I've also used two different game pads on it without flaw. A gravis Digital Exterminator and some cheapy. The only game I've had EAX problems with was SOF2 and that was fix by some download of the SOF site or something. It wasn't a driver problem it was a flaw in the game.

The only complaint I have about their drivers is that you have to manually install. Unless you are completely useless that isn't hard either. Maybe people are botching their installs, I don't know.

volt
09-09-02, 05:31 PM
I use C-media. Aint bad for onboard and my cheap speakers :)

SavagePaladin
09-10-02, 08:47 AM
I had an issue in Max Payne where some of the sounds (like the washers in the laundromat) would be significantly louder than they should be. I don't think it was fixed until 1.89

Anyway, it ticked me off since I loved that game :p

That same bit affected other games, but I don't know which offhand.